Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Selling on Discogs and Amazon vs eBay

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    My first Discogs fuck up.I paid a seller in Austria for a CD that was available on LP and CD,made it clear i wanted the CD.He sent me the LP.I don't have a turntable.He said "nobody's perfect".Now i have to decide if it's worth my time and money to mail the LP back to him in Austria.

I'm kicking myself because the CD was available from Dusty Groove.If i knew that then i sure as shit wouldn't have tried to get it from Austria.

Live and learn.
    This one's tough, since PayPal will require you to return the item if you dispute it, and international shipping negates whatever refund you'll be getting. You can always list it on discogs and sell it yourself. Or maybe someone here might want to take it off of your hands.

The live Tangent disc Pyramids And Stars has been in my Discogs want list for quite a while now, and finally appeared a few weeks back from a German seller who wants 85 Euros for it. Way too much, so I passed. Little did I know he was going to re-list it every single day since, so I get continuous e-mails that the same seller is selling the same CD for the same price. Annoying.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The live Tangent disc Pyramids And Stars has been in my Discogs want list for quite a while now, and finally appeared a few weeks back from a German seller who wants 85 Euros for it. Way too much, so I passed. Little did I know he was going to re-list it every single day since, so I get continuous e-mails that the same seller is selling the same CD for the same price. Annoying.
    This is a big pet peeve of most people who seriously use discogs, and comes up whenever there is discussion of changes, but I'm afraid we're stuck with the wantlist the way it is. I have one single seller that has about 25 things I want re-list near daily, so I feel your pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    This is a big pet peeve of most people who seriously use discogs, and comes up whenever there is discussion of changes, but I'm afraid we're stuck with the wantlist the way it is. I have one single seller that has about 25 things I want re-list near daily, so I feel your pain.
    Is there an "Ignore user" feature? That would help immensely.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I noticed that in eBay the had removed the WORLDWIDE location search option. Search results are poor (to say the least). Being mostly a buyer, I have a lot less opportunities to find what I'm looking for and KNOWING that I don't get all the results I did before, I won't buy easily. That's a serious reason why I won't waste anymore my time there.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I noticed that in eBay the had removed the WORLDWIDE location search option. Search results are poor (to say the least). Being mostly a buyer, I have a lot less opportunities to find what I'm looking for and KNOWING that I don't get all the results I did before, I won't buy easily. That's a serious reason why I won't waste anymore my time there.
    Oh I sure found this one frustrating too! I sent several messages to the ebay establishment about this but none were replied to.

Note though spacefreak that you can still include "worldwide" in your search parameter by clicking on the "advanced" search (top right of screen) then scrolling down to the "Location" options and changing the from preferred location to "worldwide".

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Another frustrating change (not sure if this is a temporary glitch or permanent) is on the followed searches list. It used to be that ebay would display "0 results" by any of your saved searches that had no current listings. The "0 results" isn't showing anymore. I have about 50 saved searches and it was very simple to glance down the list and click on any that I was particularly keen for and that didn't display 0 results. Now I just don't bother because I don't have time to check every search in case there's a new listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Note though spacefreak that you can still include "worldwide" in your search parameter by clicking on the "advanced" search (top right of screen) then scrolling down to the "Location" options and changing the from preferred location to "worldwide".
    I've already discovered this option but:

- I don't want to load two pages and perform 5 mouse-clicks to do a simple search.
    - This "advanced" feature somehow does produce less results than selecting individual countries.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

This week I got two reports of cracked records. Both were mailed on the same day(media mail)and both were sent to NY(Rensselaer and NYC, respectively. Fortunately, neither case was an expensive record but it's very disturbing to have this happen. I use high quality packaging and cardboard stiffeners to minimize damage. Has anybody else had a similar occurance. I seems weird and is very disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    This week I got two reports of cracked records. Both were mailed on the same day(media mail)and both were sent to NY(Rensselaer and NYC, respectively. Fortunately, neither case was an expensive record but it's very disturbing to have this happen. I use high quality packaging and cardboard stiffeners to minimize damage. Has anybody else had a similar occurance. I seems weird and is very disturbing
    Over the past couple of years, I've had at least 3 albums broken (to some degree) in transit from overseas. Each time, you could see that the package took a direct hit from an object with a sharp corner. Considering how much I buy, that's not a high percentage, but it is annoying. Only one of the records had any value, and it wasn't broken into pieces, but cracked.

In the old days, registered shipping got you special handling. Now, I think they just throw it in with the rest of the mail (since everything is scanned, whether tracking is paid for or not,) and they'll take their chances they they won't have to make good on damages.

Got a negative feedback on Discogs from a guy in Canada who complained I didn't give him a tracking #. It was a $10 item and would have cost $35 to track it! The only way you get tracking from the US to Canada is to use Priority Express International. I gave HIM negative feedback and - presto! his was removed.

Canadians are such weiners!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

FWIW, I've had a nice, slow but steady stream of orders coming in from Discogs this summer.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

just did a little bit of tracking for this month. On Discogs, I sold 5 items for a total of $152. On eBaY, it was 5 items for $985. So it really seems like Discogs is for the bargain hunters, while eBay is more for serious collectors. Of course, I'm only listing items $100 and up on eBay, so that may skew the results somewhat.

Of course, I'm only listing items $100 and up on eBay, so that may skew the results somewhat.
    There exist expensive items on Discogs but they sell slower than on eBay, as expensive items tend to be inflated over there so there is always hope/expectancy that some other seller will list at a lower price. Anything over the 70$ mark moves slower in Discogs (unless it is at fair value collective wise)...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think a good deal of it may come down to psychology too, and whether you're listing as auctions vs BIN. Auctions will always produce more anxiety in the buyer, as the item is available for a limited time.

I agree with Spyros, and personally would actually say the bargain hunters are on ebay, not discogs, as discogs prices tend to be inflated more on average. Ebay also has a wider reach, so you may be getting heftier fees because the bigger collectors are there. I also think people want to see an actual image of the item the more expensive it is, and the idea of buying 'blind' may be less attractive on discogs.

I was selling 4 records on both ebay and Discogs. The cheapest one was $200, and the most expensive was $500. All four sold on Discogs. None on ebay. I am definitely moving more expensive records on Discogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Romerovm View Post
    I was selling 4 records on both ebay and Discogs. The cheapest one was $200, and the most expensive was $500. All four sold on Discogs. None on ebay. I am definitely moving more expensive records on Discogs.
    LOL. I have had the exact opposite experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I think a good deal of it may come down to psychology too, and whether you're listing as auctions vs BIN. Auctions will always produce more anxiety in the buyer, as the item is available for a limited time.

I agree with Spyros, and personally would actually say the bargain hunters are on ebay, not discogs, as discogs prices tend to be inflated more on average. Ebay also has a wider reach, so you may be getting heftier fees because the bigger collectors are there. I also think people want to see an actual image of the item the more expensive it is, and the idea of buying 'blind' may be less attractive on discogs.
    While I agree regarding the anxiety factor and the wider reach of eBay, I don't agree about inflated prices on discogs. I think they are quite reasonable overall(although there are always exceptions). The "buying blind" theory may have something to it. I have a customer who has bought several items from me on eBay, but I can't even get her to look at my Discogs listings.

As far as the bargain hunters, I think they are definitely more prevalent on Discogs. I only use BIN, and I tend to get a lot more low-ball offers(less than 50% of my asking price)on discogs, whereas eBay buyers tend to offer at least 75-80%

LOL. I have had the exact opposite experience.
    Just sold Highway to Hell by AC/DC. Original Aussie press. $250 on Discogs.

Has anybody else been having trouble with buyers not paying on Discogs? I never have this problem w/eBay, but w/Discogs it happens fairly often.

No, every one of my transactions have been faultless. And since Mike mentioned it here about requesting the buyer give feedback upon receipt of the CD, I've been getting close to 100% responses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    No, every one of my transactions have been faultless. And since Mike mentioned it here about requesting the buyer give feedback upon receipt of the CD, I've been getting close to 100% responses as well.
    Stan, you're quite lucky. I still only get feedback about 50% of the time.

Jim - I get non-payers fairly frequently. Discogs does absolutely nothing to enforce it, such as banning users with non-paying negatives, so it's just part of the territory that comes with selling there. Non-payment will get you banned from ebay, so no surprise it is rare.

Hang on. I wait for the payment via PayPal to be received before I ship. What am I missing?

^^^^ I guess it depends on how long your willing to wait. If someone places an order, I expect payment within a reasonable time(5 days per my shipping instructions). Beyond that I send the "buyer" notices, and after 10 days I cancel and leave negative feedback. Never had it go on that long on eBay, but on Discogs it happens a lot, and they provide no support at all. They seemed to be more concerned with the "excruciating minutia" in their website,whether there is a period of a comma in a song title on the label, etc.