Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kansas- Freaks of Nature

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I had that same thing on CD and yeah, I read somewhere that it was indeed a repackaging of the Whiskey tapes. And yes, that was a great version of Lonely Street, which is odd how its just sorta shoe-horned in with the rest of it - what was there, 20 years difference twixt that song and the rest of it?
    Yeah, that was weird how they included that song on that mix. I've seen the CD before for a dollar and blown it off. If I ever see it again I'll get it. A dollar for a bitchin' live version of Lonely Street from 1975? is worth having.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sirius XM played Kansas' Hold On followed by Styx' Mother Dear. I wasn't really familiar with either song (I must have heard Hold On a few times). Hold on seemed to have a slightly proggy keyboard sound near the end. Mother Dear sounded sort of promising but I only heard the first minute or so.

Are these songs decent?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are these songs decent?
    Well, um, you've heard them - what do you think?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yeah, that was weird how they included that song on that mix. I've seen the CD before for a dollar and blown it off. If I ever see it again I'll get it. A dollar for a bitchin' live version of Lonely Street from 1975? is worth having.
    I only caught the second half of Hold On and the A/C was blasting so I couldn't hear it well. And only heard the first minute or so of Mother Dear as I said. But you don't HAVE to share your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Sirius XM played Kansas' Hold On followed by Styx' Mother Dear. I wasn't really familiar with either song (I must have heard Hold On a few times). Hold on seemed to have a slightly proggy keyboard sound near the end. Mother Dear sounded sort of promising but I only heard the first minute or so.

Are these songs decent?
    “Hold On” was the big hit for them from the “Audio Visions” album which was the last to feature the original band (not counting the pre “Kansas” versions). I think it is a decent song. It is definitely religious in it’s message which turned some people off, but I have always liked it. They still do it live on a fairly regular basis. The album is not as good as the band’s classics, but certainly has it’s moments.

“Mother Dear” is off of “Equinox” which was also the last Styx album with the original band. I have always liked it, and also think the album is a good one.

But you don't HAVE to share your opinion.
    Ahhhhh! Too fucking bad. Suck it bitch!

The first time I heard Freaks of Nature, it got to the end (or what I thought was the end) of "Peaceful and Warm" and started to fade out. I thought that was an odd way to end the album but figured they were just trying something different. When the full band kicked in, my jaw hit the floor. That is still one of my favorite Kansas instrumental passages and I was glad to hear them still using it in the show we saw last week.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_c_music View Post
    The first time I heard Freaks of Nature, it got to the end (or what I thought was the end) of "Peaceful and Warm" and started to fade out. I thought that was an odd way to end the album but figured they were just trying something different. When the full band kicked in, my jaw hit the floor. That is still one of my favorite Kansas instrumental passages and I was glad to hear them still using it in the show we saw last week.

Kevin
    Yeah, that is really cool. This is probably the most underrated album in the catalog.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally