Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep Purple Like You've Never Heard Them Before

Deep Purple Like You've Never Heard Them Before

Man, if they had any balls at all they'd book a club tour around the world and just play jazz covers of their old stuff, and maybe even write some new tunes in that vein. I'd go. That would be a amazingly brilliant way to go out.

Excellent! Apparently this was recorded at the french national TV, at the end of the mid-day news. I have to say that this is absolutely not representative of what you usually see on TV in my country.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

that was great! if the ever get in the R&R HOF they should do this version.

Surprised and amazed here!

I'm not a fan of anything after the 3rd & last Rod Evans album (& this clip now).

Thanks for posting.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Man, this lineup is the shit! Period. They can literally flip on a dime live based on whatever, whoever, however the song is played by each other. All of these guys can still play their asses off. Ian Paice still hits the drums with force unlike many other older players that have adopted a softer touch in their later years. (I don't mean to say Ian is simply playing 'ham-fisted' - on the contrary - he is playing more musically than he ever has).

Seriously - these guys need to do a decent American tour. If people only had a chance to see them live they would shit themselves. Put them up next to another 'older' band and watch them ignite the venue.

They have released a number of DVDs in the last 14 years that are all enjoyable to watch AND listen to regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Excellent! Apparently this was recorded at the french national TV, at the end of the mid-day news. I have to say that this is absolutely not representative of what you usually see on TV in my country.
    True. Although I remember Motörhead's surreal appearance - quite an existential hapax - during the mid-day news, circa 1985.

Is that Don Airey? Good stuff!

Disappoints the Jazz purists.... And Pisses off the Rock Fans.! or visa versa...... Falls somewhere into musician humor for musicians only. But everyone claps lightly as it was cool but they are not sure if it's supposed to be a joke.

Personally, I loved it..... ! If they we're more "Prog"... "That" would fit the "Prog Humor" thread perfectly..!
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

This was a nice nod & wink to everyone, but let's face it, these guys are not really credible jazz artistes, IMHO.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    This was a nice nod & wink to everyone, but let's face it, these guys are not really credible jazz artistes, IMHO.
    Doesn't matter. It's fun and fun to listen to. More than what they'd typically do, imo. I think they jazz if that can be a verb) more credibly than Steve Howe does...

Vince Gill "jazzes" more than the cryptkeeper.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Vince Gill "jazzes" more than the cryptkeeper.
    That's true though, he does

I am a big DP fan and I love it! They do the intro this way on the Montreux 2006 DVD, but then they segue over to the normal arrangement. I remember watching that and thinking "grow a set, boys, and play it that way the whole way through! ...and then move on to the next song as though nothing was out of the ordinary." So they have at least done it the whole way through and it is good.

Note that it is not supposed to be *good* jazz. More like bad Holiday Inn lounge jazz as Ian Anderson would say, and they are damn good at bad Holiday Inn lounge jazz...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Note that it is not supposed to be *good* jazz. More like bad Holiday Inn lounge jazz as Ian Anderson would say, and they are damn good at bad Holiday Inn lounge jazz...
    Not entirely. The sound and arrangement are intentionally cheesy, but the solos aren't bad, and there are some fairly hip reharmonizations.

Uh...Jazz odyssey?

.... but let's face it, these guys are not really credible jazz artistes, IMHO.
    No, but they get points for Brownie's "Joy Spring" intro:

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

apparently Airey is the jazzhead in the band (I know Morse was /ijazzy as well, but maybe that the arrival of Airey tipped the balance that way)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

apparently Airey is the jazzhead in the band (I know Morse was jazzy as well, but maybe that the arrival of Airey tipped the balance that way)
    Let us not forget about the first incarnation of Ian Gillan Band from the second half of the seventies, when they played a sort of fusion, with some classic Purple tunes in new arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Let us not forget about the first incarnation of Ian Gillan Band from the second half of the seventies, when they played a sort of fusion, with some classic Purple tunes in new arrangements.
    yeah, that was jazzy as well, but certainly not very convincing to those outside the rock circles (as you say yourselk "sort of fusion")

yeah, that was jazzy as well, but certainly not very convincing to those outside the rock circles (as you say yourself "sort of fusion")
    It was peculiar indeed, but to these ears much more interesting than anything Deep Purple did after their vacation.

yeah, that was jazzy as well, but certainly not very convincing to those outside the rock circles (as you say yourselk "sort of fusion")
    Fair point - although Colin Townes, the keyboardist in the IGB, as well as later in Gillan, is a "proper" jazzer - his Big Band is particularly well regarded in contemporary jazz circles.

That's awesome! I hope they do an album like that. A double album!

They did the first album - Child In Time - (and probably the jazziest) without Towns - Mike Moran (or Eurovision "Rock Bottom" fame!) was the keyboardist on that album. So I think the jazz-fusion aspect of it was not solely Towns' domain. The 2 tracks on the B-Side (showing my age, here) - the title track, and "Let it Slide" - have stood the test of time, and the latter includes an excellent synth solo from former Purple bassist, Roger Glover.