Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terje Rypdal - Whenever I Seem To Be Faraway

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    The 1975 Radio Bremen broadcast by Odyssey is probably in my Top 5 favourite boots by anyone, and why Manfred Eicher never put it out (or never let anyone else release it) boggles the mind. Well, we have "Unfinished Highballs" and that's a fantastic performance in its own right, but not quite as stupendous as that Bremen show.
    Thanks for mentioning this. Stupendous, indeed.

As far as I know it's Rypdal who doesn't want all the great liverecordings released.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I have an earlier Rypdal ECM compilation called "Works". Like ":rarum", ECM did comps called "Works" for many of the major ECM names like Towner, Garbarek and Jarrett.
    Except with Works, ECM chose the tracks; with :rarum, the artists did.

I don't know many of his albums, but this is one of the albums I do, and the first half is excellent. The 2nd I never listened to so much...might like it more now!

This has long been out of print- hence the attempts to get high prices for it.

I bought a used copy of this ten years ago on US ECM but it was too noisy. Then, a year ago, I upgraded to a German pressing- NICE!

At the Progman Cometh festival in Seattle someone gave me two CD's with a radio concert of Rypdal- It was gorgeous! I'll have to dig that up...

I finally got that three CD version of Odyssey, with Unfinished Highballs. I've had the double LP since I was in high school, so I was always annoyed that the old CD release didn't have Rolling Stone on it. I deliberately held off on buying it for that reason. But the best track on Odyssey, for me at least, remains Ballade. I always thought Ballade sounded like the sunrise, and given that the first track on side one is called Darkness Falls, I almost wish they had swapped sides three and four, so that Rolling Stone was side three, and the three shorter pieces ended the original album, with Ballade signaling the end of a long, perhaps harrowing night.

I've got a lot of Rypdal's albums on vinyl, and a few of them on CD. My favorites are probably still Odyssey, Waves, What Comes After, Eos (duo album with David Darling), and The Singles Collection. I've also got a stash of bootlegs I downloaded off Dimeadozen eons ago containing about four CD's worth of Rypdal's rorchestral pieces, I believe most of which have never been issued legitimately.

I've always been curious to hear the stuff he did with Ronnie Le Tekro (guitarist from Norwegian 80's glam metal band TNT).

And I still can't get over the fact that Terje's now ex-wife, Inger Lise Rypdal, recorded the Norwegian version of Harper Valley PTA. AND even crazier than that, a two or three decades, she did a techno/dance remake!

I've got all but one of Rypdal's proper studio releases. And I'll get that one before too long.

I have yet to hear any Rypdal that isn't excellent.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Just thinking about this album sends shivers down my spine.

Brilliant stuff from start to finish.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I wasn't aware of this release until this thread. Just received my copy in the mail today. Listening now. I'm really enjoying it but need a few more listens to take everything in. Sounds dramatic, sad, but with a strong dose of power, when needed.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks, too, for starting this thread. I only have two releases but likely need to remedy this.