Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Worst cover versions....EVER!

If I'm not mistaken, Tom Jones played that at Live Aid.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Suspended
    I'm not sure it technically qualifies as a cover, since the song is classed as "traditional"....
    but Art Garfunkel does a truly awful version of Barbara Allen on his otherwise excellent first album, Angel Clare. The song sound like a dirge, and just goes on and on. Coming just after his terrific rendition of the Osibisa song Woyaya, it's infuriating as I nearly always need to hit the Skip button.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, Tom Jones played that at Live Aid.
    I don't think Tom Jones played at Live Aid.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I don't think Tom Jones played at Live Aid.
    Well, it was some big festival concert along those lines that had a national broadcast. Come to think of it, it couldn't ahve been that early, because it was after the BC version of the song came out.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What's to hate about The Black Crowes' version?
    I imagine someone must have a reason to hate it, though I actually quite like their version; respectful of the original without simply cloning it.

Mae West’s version is all kinds of wrong, though. Myra Breckenridge (the film, not the book) altogether is all kinds of wrong, actually.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Just saw that Tom Jones vid. Not a bad performance. It is what it is. I still like the BC version. I really had no idea that song had such a long history behind it.

Here's ol' Tom covering another song:

Down To The Night Club (Tower Of Power)

It's okay. Tom has a good voice for singing R&B type music but there's some kitschy-ness to it.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    So, what you are saying is, all movie ratings should be removed because its up to the responsibility of parents to know the content of each and every movie?

Its the same difference: Parents cant know the content of every single artist thats out there so, just like movie ratings, they serve as a quick-glance guideline until more data/information can be ascertained....and, although the minority, there are kids out there that dont care for vulgarity so its also a courtesy to them
    Thanks for this. Anyone who says "if you can't monitor what your kids consume, maybe you shouldn't be parent" clearly is not a parent. We do what we can to sit and talk with our daughter about what she sees and hears, because we want to instill a certain set of values in her. She's young enough that we do want to shield her from certain things until she's a bit older, and hopefully by guiding her now, she'll be prepared to make informed decisions for herself when the time comes that she wants to venture off on her own and make her own entertainment choices. But at the same time, no one wants to be a smothering helicopter parent, and you can't monitor what your kids consume 24 hours a day, either. So yeah, I actually appreciate the helping hand that comes in the form of movie ratings, video-game ratings, and parental-warning labels. Nobody wants censorship (although it does dismay me that artists who market to children don't make more responsible choices), but parenting is tough work and there's nothing wrong with having someone put up an occasional caution sign along the road.

After all, "parent" is also a verb. Many people tend to miss that part.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I think some stuff is pretty self explanatory though. If the album cover is depicting a nun getting sodomized with a cross by a three headed Satan on top of a pile of maggoty spleens and the band is Cadaver Cannibals from Gehenna, chances are a twelve year old should not be listening to it.

Of course, I once read about a very disturbed teen that police found an uprooted large pot plant and a scuba knife in his bedroom, which was painted black. It could be me, but if your child is keeping uprooted pot plants in his room and you do not know this, parenting might not be your gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Also, for anyone who disliked the Black Crowes’ version of Otis Redding’s “Hard to Handle,” you’ll really hate this!

I'll take your word for it, I don't think I could watch this for more than a few seconds. However I really like the Black Crowe's version, one of the few of theirs songs I like.

it was Glass Hammer that covered Dan Fogelberg's Longer. i thought it was pretty good.
    Dan covered many tunes during his career, but his were always good.

Suspended
    Just about any disco version of a non-disco song.

Example: that awful butchering by Amber (I think it was her) of Gordon Lightfoot's "If You Could Read My Mind."

While on the subject of Gordon, also add Bob Dylan's version of "Early Morning Rain". Dylan can't even sing his own songs, so imagine how he treats someone else's.

Suspended
    Anyone familiar with the Bob Lind original will find this cover by John Otway truly bizarre:

Amazingly, Lind has said that he likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    While on the subject of Gordon, also add Bob Dylan's version of "Early Morning Rain". Dylan can't even sing his own songs, so imagine how he treats someone else's.
    You should hear what he did to “Big Yellow Taxi.”

Has this been posted yet?

Watch the backup dancers. If this is from before the days of Botox, how do you explain Bert’s face? This video truly comes to life during the instrumental interlude, where we see the true origins of Pee Wee Herman’s “Big Shoe Dance.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...