Thread: Ash Ra Tempel - Self Titled

Ash Ra Tempel - Self Titled

How is the album perceived in these parts...Is it worth checkin out???Is it more Krautrock than spacey or kinda both???

Krautrock essential!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Krautrock essential!
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Classic stuff - Mighty influential
    ART's best album by a margin

PM75, it's kinda both...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great album.

One side is shimmering drone-y/space and the other side is acid guitar freak out with Schulze pounding on the skins.

Pretty much essential for the genre, and quite possibly the epitome of Göttsching's work. As mentioned above, it's got both the spacey vibe and the Krautrock credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    How is the album perceived in these parts...Is it worth checkin out???Is it more Krautrock than spacey or kinda both???
    Like Join Inn there are two side long suites and in both cases one is spacey and the other more experimental and heavier.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Although I might prefer Schwingungen (or at times even Join Inn) purely musically speaking, there's little doubt that the debut is their *defining* release and, like Udi stated, a highly influential piece of acid/improvrock skronk, sometimes bordering on early noise stuff. Klaus Schulze sounds solid on drums here, Göttsching is an absolute monster and Enke rips his bass right through the ceiling.

I've got the original Ohr release of this. Damn, that's one gorgeous album cover as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Following on from the Can video thread, & the recommendations of Mr Scissor et al, I've taken a big plunge, & binged out on Krautrock - taking delivery of 15-20 albums, including the ART s/t mentioned here, & Schwingungen - if there's any interest, I'd be well up for talking more about these records, either on thread, or in a group...

Let me know if there's any more interest out there

(to give you some idea, aside from the ART albums, I got a couple of records each by Faust, Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru, Can, Kraftwerk, Amon Dull II, Cluster, Popul Vuh, Harmonia & Neu)

I think I bought it on vinyl back in the 70's but haven't listened in a very long time.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

A winner. Easily an essential item in the krautrock oeuvre.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I've got the original Ohr release of this. Damn, that's one gorgeous album cover as well.
    I'm hoping that one day, this will get the Mini-lp format, just for the sake of the gorgeous artwork.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I've never owned this.I have a couple of Ash Ra cds and a couple of Gottsching solo cds but not the s/t.

Methinks i need to get it
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm hoping that one day, this will get the Mini-lp format, just for the sake of the gorgeous artwork.
    It already got two in Japan.

2004, on the Arcangelo label. Only cover, as CD media for that edition had been the Spalax one.

2010, on the Belle Antique label. Mini LP as well.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 06-15-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

MMMhhhh... 40.00 USD for the Belle antique at Greg's....

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    Following on from the Can video thread, & the recommendations of Mr Scissor et al, I've taken a big plunge, & binged out on Krautrock - taking delivery of 15-20 albums, including the ART s/t mentioned here, & Schwingungen - if there's any interest, I'd be well up for talking more about these records, either on thread, or in a group...

Let me know if there's any more interest out there

(to give you some idea, aside from the ART albums, I got a couple of records each by Faust, Tangerine Dream, Guru Guru, Can, Kraftwerk, Amon Dull II, Cluster, Popul Vuh, Harmonia & Neu)
    no Mythos?... no Agitation Free?!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    no Mythos?... no Agitation Free?!
    Hah! Give the guy a break - there's a lot to digest in this field.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    It already got two in Japan.

2004, on the Arcangelo label. Only cover, as CD media for that edition had been the Spalax one.

2010, on the Belle Antique label. Mini LP as well.
    FYI, as far as sound, the Belle Antique SHM is still from the same old Spalax transfer; which is a pretty badly denoised needle drop.

So if one wants the cool mini lp cover, just getting the earlier edition makes more sense. One can save some money that way, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    FYI, as far as sound, the Belle Antique SHM is still from the same old Spalax transfer; which is a pretty badly denoised needle drop.

So if one wants the cool mini lp cover, just getting the earlier edition makes more sense. One can save some money that way, I think.
    I thought SHM was the rage in terms of quality a few years back??

Don't know if the archangelo minLp is still available, though.

I thought SHM was the rage in terms of quality a few years back??
    SHM is meaningless. It's the mastering and source that matter.

ART's best album by a margin
    I’m quite fond of Inventions for Electric Guitar in a “you won’t believe it’s really all guitar” kind of way, but that’s more of a Göttsching solo album. The self-titled is definitely the best ART proper album. I, for one, find New Age of Earth (technically Ashra, though at least one release was credited to Ash Ra Tempel, the French one on Isadora, maybe?) to be one of the finest cosmic music albums; lots of synth in addition to the guitar on that one, but one of my most-loved relaxation discs. I never grow tired of it.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I had it a long time ago. Great album that I'll need to buy again at some point. One side is proto metal and one side is proto new age.

Got this a couple of days ago.Good stuff.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide