Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaszyk, Collins, Fripp and Co. - Scarcity of Miracles

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Agreed.

I'm not the biggest Crimson fan. Never really gave them the time they deserve. One day, I suppose. But I saw this album as a "contemporary" way to see what they would be about. So, I bought it and liked it. So, I then got Jaksyk's Romantic Glee Club album and I have to agree with others that this seems to me to be more of a Jakko album than a Crimson or even Projekt album.

But, whatever - that shouldn't matter to one's enjoyment of it, and I do really enjoy it.
    1) Go buy:

In the Court....
    Lizard
    Larks Tongues in Aspic
    Starless and Bible Black
    Red
    Discipline
    Thrak
    The ProjeKcts Box
    ProjeKct X
    The Power to Believe

...to start.

2) Then get the rest of it.

3) Then Fripp out, maaaa'aaaan.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    That's a good survey of King Crimson's high-water marks.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Indeed it's a good list my only add would be The Great Deceiver box
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I too found it boring, but I have to say that I love "Bruised Romantic Glee Club" . I'll have to try and give it another spin and see if it clicks at all.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Since I'm a huge Crimson fan who has liked almost everything they've done, I really wanted to like this but was totally underwhelmed as well. Perhaps if they play any of it live it will improve, but I'm not hopeful. They've always done better when they refine the music live before recording the studio albums.

I highly doubt the current KC line-up plays anything off SoM; perhaps it can be used as walk-on music, although I believe Fripp will be entertaining us with soundscapes as we're being seated/awaiting The Beast.
    Also, I'd Add Construction Of Light to the above list.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    I too found it boring, but I have to say that I love "Bruised Romantic Glee Club" .
    Me too, but this one - BLAAAAH.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Also, I'd Add Construction Of Light to the above list.
    I don't know; it's my least-favorite KC, though maybe it's due to the production and not the material itself. One thing that list omits is Islands, and not including Islands skips over Sailor's Tale, arguably in the top 3 greatest KC tracks.

The eons are closing
    ASoM is half a great album; half an album looking for an idea. I spun it fairly regularly in Casa MudShark when it arrived and it still gets airplay now.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    ASoM is half a great album; half an album looking for an idea. I spun it fairly regularly in Casa MudShark when it arrived and it still gets airplay now.
    Well, given its genesis - two guitarists improvising, one thinking there was some good source material so taking it home and writing songs around it, and then bringing in a saxophonist and rhythm section - I think it is quite remarkable in its cohesion. I think the biggest mistake was labeling it a Crimson ProjeKct, as that opened it up for way too many comparisons which made no sense (my favorite: Jakko J sounded to one reviewer like Greg Lake; to another, like John Wetton; yet another, Lake and Wetton!) and prevented it from being assessed on its own merits.

I like the record, think it's one of Fripp's most flat-out beautiful "pop" projects (i.e. excluding Frippertronics/Soundscapes), and while it doesn't get regular rotation chez Kelman, it does get pulled out often enough for me to remember that I've pulled it out often enough

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I don't know; it's my least-favorite KC, though maybe it's due to the production and not the material itself. One thing that list omits is Islands, and not including Islands skips over Sailor's Tale, arguably in the top 3 greatest KC tracks.

Remember I said in no. 2 to get the rest

I would probably also recommend The Night Watch before The Great Deceiver since its easier to absorb 2 discs instead of four for a newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    it does get pulled out often enough for me to remember that I've pulled it out often enough
    Still talking about the album, right John?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Still talking about the album, right John?
    I suppose I walked right into that one, didn't I?

I just picked this up to hear what 5/7 of the current Crim lineup has been up to. I'm listening it to it now, and I like it quite a bit. Mellow as heck, sure, but lots of really beautiful textures and melodic playing. Almost a P-Tree vibe in there, too, which is pretty sweet. If this is a preview of the gentler side of the current incarnation of Teh Crim, then
    flute juice

I couldn't take it out of the CD player in my truck for two months. I really enjoy it. I spin it and Bruised Romantic often. Jakko has a great voice & throws down some tasty solos too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Can something put me to sleep without it being tagged as hate?
    Yes! There are a few albums I adore which I specifically put on before crawling in bed to go to sleep. They are wonderful works which prove to soothe me greatly.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    1) Go buy:

Lizard
    Larks Tongues in Aspic
    Discipline

...to start.

2) Then get the rest of it.

3) Then Fripp out, maaaa'aaaan.
    edited for Scott's wallet's sake
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?