Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: A Look Back at The Doors after I've matured...

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Of Greatest Hits LP..you mean 13?
    No, the Greatest Hits compilation from 1980 that had the red & white cover. It was released in response to the surge of interest in the Doors following "The End" appearing in Apocalypse Now. It's been expanded on CD, but I had the original vinyl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greates...e_Doors_album)

Best American Band ever...

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    No, the Greatest Hits compilation from 1980 that had the red & white cover. It was released in response to the surge of interest in the Doors following "The End" appearing in Apocalypse Now. It's been expanded on CD, but I had the original vinyl.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greates...e_Doors_album)
    Thank you. I've asked, because 13 was the first Doors album I've heard, their first official compilation. Now totally forgotten)

There was a GREAT compilation in the 70s titled "Weird Scenes from Inside the Goldmine." Not a greatest hits, but a great two-disc set that captured what they were all about.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was a GREAT compilation in the 70s titled "Weird Scenes from Inside the Goldmine." Not a greatest hits, but a great two-disc set that captured what they were all about.
    It also included the Doors' two non-LP b-sides, "Who Scared You" (a great song that should have been included on The Soft Parade) and "You Need Meat" (a Muddy Waters cover sung by Manzarek).

Many people are unaware that between 1972 and 1980 The Doors were basically invisible...it wasn't until Apocalypse Now that the resurgence and over-saturation began. I remember in high school (1974) nobody knew who they were (even though most of them listened to Cream, Hendrix, Allman Bros, Santana, Sabbath etc ).
    The American Prayer album sparked small interest for a second, but didn't do much to help with popularity.
    It always amazed me that once Morrison, died their individual careers had no guidance...In this day and age, a band as big as the Doors would never have a "Butts Band" with little to no airplay and worse: No big label to help them get over. Even Ray and The Golden Scarab (on Mercury) should have had a huge push because if who he was.

Weird Scenes is the best Doors compilation you can get...it really avoids the hits and contains the real genius of their work.
    Last edited by kayfabe58; 06-22-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Yeah, it was the second official compilation. With the first appearance of 'Who Scared You' on LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    Best American Band ever...
    One of the best. Morphine was right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Isn't NOHGOA to The Doors what 'Hammer of the Gods' is to Led Zep?
    I read Hammer of the Gods once but don't remember much about it.

Yep, the first Doors album that I purchased after discovering them. Very nice compliation indeed.

now on CD & vinyl or mp3 http://www.amazon.com/Weird-Scenes-I...e+the+goldmine

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    It also included the Doors' two non-LP b-sides, "Who Scared You" (a great song that should have been included on The Soft Parade) and "You Need Meat" (a Muddy Waters cover sung by Manzarek).

Yup, I seriously considered keeping it (it was my first disc from them), but once I went for the individual albums, I got rid of it... still, it convinced me of the band's greatness

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Many people are unaware that between 1972 and 1980 The Doors were basically invisible...it wasn't until Apocalypse Now that the resurgence and over-saturation began. I remember in high school (1974) nobody knew who they were (even though most of them listened to Cream, Hendrix, Allman Bros, Santana, Sabbath etc ).
    The American Prayer album sparked small interest for a second, but didn't do much to help with popularity.
    It always amazed me that once Morrison, died their individual careers had no guidance...
    I beg to differ... In Ontario, the Doors were all over our airwaves and conversations (high school years from 76 until 81)

Your comparisons to Cream and Hendrix might be valid (the other ones were still active throughout the 70's)... Though Cream still had some kind of sense of actuality because of Clapton solo albums' success.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by kayfabe58 View Post
    Many people are unaware that between 1972 and 1980 The Doors were basically invisible...it wasn't until Apocalypse Now that the resurgence and over-saturation began. I remember in high school (1974) nobody knew who they were (even though most of them listened to Cream, Hendrix, Allman Bros, Santana, Sabbath etc ). .
    Sugermans book helped with the exposure as well.. of course that was around 1980
    Last edited by happytheman; 06-24-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Sugermans book help with the exposure as well.. of course that was around 1980
    that book was a bestseller and was the first of many. too bad it's so sensationalized. the 43rd anniversary of JM's death is coming up. It's be great to get a new BMA release.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Sugermans book help with the exposure as well.. of course that was around 1980
    I grew up in the 60's so the Doors music was everywhere...Light My Fire, Love me Two Times, Crystal Ship, People Are Strange, LA Woman, etc...I liked all the hits (except Riders on the Storm) but never had an interest in buying any albums. Reading that book was what got me curious enough to buy the 1st album...after that I liked what I heard so kept making my way through the catalog
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    the 43rd anniversary of JM's death is coming up.
    Shouldn't that be "JM's alleged death"?

I beg to differ... In Ontario, the Doors were all over our airwaves and conversations (high school years from 76 until 81)

[/QUOTE]

Canada vs Long Island, but I do believe you.. at best they became underexposed
    and Morrisons death (although last of the big three) never matched Hendrix in terms of effect . IMO they were quickly forgotten as musical styles altered -not to mention the lack of push any of the others projects ever received. It wouldn't happen today-Can you say Foo Fighters

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Shouldn't that be "JM's alleged death"?
    no, I"m not trying to sell books. he's gone.

informative interview with Krieger

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview...-days?page=0,0

if anyone's interested, this place has a lot of Doors information: http://www.thedoorsguide.com/

I have three copies of the Doors' 13 in Quad, Weird Scenes and the Greatest Hits. I also have a radio program on two lp's called The Doors A 20th Anniversary Salute with special guest Robby Krieger. It was distributed by Radio International.

Growing up in LA I heard the Doors a lot. They never went away. My brother had the first three LP's when they came out. Saw their billboard on Sunset Blvd.

If I can ever afford to go to LA and do the 'Doors tour', I would really like to. the cost of travel is a major hindrance.

Remember to play your Doors and early Stones records next Thursday. Brian Jones and Jim died on July 3, 69 and 71, respectively. If I sound morbid... oh well.