Thread: Mirthkon Format DVD--wacky "multimedia extravaganza"

Mirthkon Format DVD--wacky "multimedia extravaganza"

I have watched this now 3 times and will probably watch it a lot more. What a trip this is! It is a concert film but with *a lot* of overlaid imagery, weird visual effects, goofy parodies and the like. Sound awful? It did to me but I'm glad I took a chance with it...

Usually this kind of thing sucks big time despite great playing (ELP Pictures, Tull's Slipstream and Living with the Past to some extent, Yes' original 9012live), but I'll be damned if these guys didn't make this "multimedia extravaganza" thing really entertaining.

Funny funny video shit (where do they find this stuff? e.g. the Banana guy, Burt Ravel and the History of California) that they interlace perfectly with the music. And Mirthkon's music is really great of course. But that much you know already.

I wish they did put in a straight concert film as a bonus feature because I *would* like to just watch them play sometimes but I'll take what I can get.

Anyone else got this? Any other awesome RIO extravaganzas out there worth watching?

I have it, but I'd have preferred a straight concert DVD. I find the goofy effects to be a detriment, honestly. I don't mind the fun little skits in between pieces, but I could've done without the distracting and unnecessary psychedelic effects overtop of the performances. Great band, though.

^^^

I get where you are coming from. I think that was my initial reaction. After about a half way through the first time I watched it, though, I stopped watching as if it was a Mirthkon concert. I just sat back and let all the images & music enter my brain with no attempt to focus on anything in particular. That made it a much more satisfying experience for me. Of course YMMV.

I shall have to try it again with that in mind. Thank you.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Any others ? Check out Rush's Time Machine DVD. I really don't care for the videos - it's like rejected skits from SCTV.

^^^ I agree that the "skits" in Mirthkon's DVD wouldn't be that great individually, but somehow the way they are woven into the really intense music makes them a lot more appealing. Like the recurring Burt Ravel character in the History of California thing. It is ridiculous and maybe not all that funny on its own, but the way he keeps popping up in between tunes provides great segues. And even the non-skit images that pop up constantly are always perfectly synched to the music with appropriate images that add emphasis.

I do also like the Rush Time Machine DVD, and the intro skit is very funny--the one where Geddy plays his dad and states that the band's music is "crap" with a great Yiddish accent. But after that the skits aren't too great, and they are completely disconnected from the otherwise very good music.