Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Debut albums you've never got round to buying

Jethro Tull's This Was, and mostly because I'm not really wild about the "bluesier" moments of Stand Up. I can take "A New Day Yesterday" once but I don't think I'd appreciate a whole album of that, or even 3/4 of an album of that.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hawkwinds debut is excellent though very different, it's worth it for Hurry On Sundown alone
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Hawkwinds debut is excellent though very different, it's worth it for Hurry On Sundown alone
    I'm discovering Hawkwind this week. I have a few albums, but never really gave them the attention they deserved. I imagine I'll get Warrior before the debut.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Get Warrior, Mountain Grill, Quark and Levitation, all wonderful
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't forget Mirror Of Illusion. That's a pretty good song too. The rest of the album, as I understand, consists of the big jamming pieces the band played in concert during that time period. So basically, you have two actual songs, with a bunch of "jamming" riffs sandwiched between. It's a pretty good record, but it betrays no indication of what was to come on In Search Of Space, Doremi Fasol Latido, and Space Ritual.

Get Warrior, Mountain Grill, Quark and Levitation, all wonderful
    Besides all of those, also get In Search Of Space and either of the two deluxe versions of Space Ritual (one has the Greasy Trucker's version of Born To Go, the other has the alternate version of Time We Left that appeared on Space Ritual Vol. 2, both better than the versions that appear on the original album).

I've got In Search of Space, Space Ritual, and Mountain Grill

VDGG- Never heard their debut
    Dream Theater- Never heard "When dream and day unite." Maybe one day.
    Caravan- Never heard or owned the first one(or the second for that matter).
    IQ- Never heard "tales from the lush attic"

I've at least heard most debuts by most well known classic prog bands.

Camel- Had the debut briefly. I remember liking it but haven't heard it in a long time. I love "never let go though."

Jethro Tull- Have "this was" but only played it once.

Yes- don't currently have the debut but used to and like it for what it is.
    Gentle Giant- Don't currently own it but liked it a lot

Genesis-FGTR I really like it although I know that's not cool to admit.

Renaissance-Never heard the first incarnation of the band other than a few songs here and there like "Kings and Queens." I liked the debut with Annie Haslam though.

Porcupine Tree- I quite like the debut "On the Sunday of life" although I admit it pales compared to later stuff.

Focus-Never heard their first album

Strawbs-Never heard their first two or three(not sure sequentially which one "antiques and curios is but that's the first by them I've heard)

Roine Stolt-THe Flower King- I consider this to be the first TFK album. It's a very solid beginning imo.

Nektar- Finally heard "Journey to the center of the eye" not too long ago. I remember thinking it was good but I'll need to hear it again.

Moody Blues- Never heard the first album or two with Denny Laine but DOFP is a seminal although maybe a bit dated sounding album now. I still like it though and it's one of their most solid albums from start to finish.

KC- Court I've owned it many times on both cd and cassette.

ELP- Probably my favorite debut album of all time by anyone. ITCOTCK would probably be number two though.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 06-08-2014 at 06:12 PM.

Regarding the first Hawkwind. I have it and liked most of it but only played it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Dream Theater- Never heard "When dream and day unite." Maybe one day.
    Very poor production and recording compared to the others. On the other side the only album they ever did worth owning.

It always make me sad to see what became of this band, after that awesome debut.

Of the bands I actually listen to, the debuts (many of which I have heard) that I haven't got on some format or another are:

Blue Oyster Cult
    Camel
    Caravan
    ELP
    Focus
    Frank Zappa
    Gentle Giant
    Hawkwind
    IQ
    Jadis
    King Crimson
    Magnum
    Nektar
    The Nice
    Threshold
    Yes

The first Symphony X, with the different singer, not Russell Allen.

The first Fu Manchu album, doesn't yet have the signature sound that begins with "Daredevil".
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Volume 1 is much better, could never get into Volume 2 at all.
    I haven't specifically decided that I don't want Vol. 1; I just never got around to picking it up yet.

Magic Pie- Motions of Desire (have heard it multiple times and love it, though)
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold