Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SW remixes Gentle Giant's Power and the Glory

^^^^^^
    No kidding! Yes, a campaign must be mounted!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    ^^^^^^
    No kidding! Yes, a campaign must be mounted!
    I'd kill to hear TMP remixed! "Who Do You Think You Are?" & "Winning" & several others are terrific, though not quite on par with what came before (a purposeful shift from their earlier work, obviously). "Mountain Time" should be slowed down 500% & soaked in delay & then shortened to 10 seconds long. Then I *might* listen to it.

Mountain Time is a nice rhythm and blues tune) Love The Missing Piece in it's entirety.

A friend of mine took his Missing Piece CD through Proo Tools and raised the basslevel a bit, and made me a copy. That helped a lot, but it is still sounding a bit flat overall.

I'm recording a cover of For Nobody right now, just for the hell of it. I'll share it when it's done

Best tune on that album
    Sounds like an odd meter rythm, but isnt.

I'm recording a cover of For Nobody right now, just for the hell of it. I'll share it when it's done
    Who's playing drums?

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Who's playing drums?
    I am! I think I can handle the guitar on this one too, we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I really like it too. Interview might be more of the same but when the sound is this unique one more round is never enough.
    I've always thought that Free Hand was the album where they stopped progressing and started repeating themselves. Yet it's probably my second favorite of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Which Bob are you referring to? I replied to a Bob who wished he would spend more time creating than remixing albums, stating exactly what you agree with, best material IMO since the remixes began.
    whoever wished Wilson would spend less time mixing and more time making music. There was, of course, a time when when he was playing in a lot,of groups as well doing PT, but those days are over. His primary focus, at least for now, is remixing and working in new material for his band. If I misunderstood anything, my apologies.

I'm surprised that Ray Shulman hasn't got on the remix bandwagon, I mean, he's a professional in the studio.

Didn't anyone get the 4.1 mix of Interview (Free Hand as well)? Those were nice listens. Makes sense that P&TG was done by Wilson, but anyway, one of my favs. I will say this, that the original Capitol CD (USA Capitol, CDP 7 91849 2 ) just sounds fantastic. Always a great sounding album, even my scratchy old vinyl copy that I absolutely played to death.

For me, Civilian fared better than The Missing Piece. Love the production on that one.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Just FYI, my cover is about finished but my lead guitar playing is inadequate... damn Gary Green!

Just FYI, my cover is about finished but my lead guitar playing is inadequate... damn Gary Green!
    I was briefly in a GG tribute band (and that's a long sordid story that I'd rather not tell, but I digress) and that was one of the two tunes from The Missing Piece that we played (the other was "As Old as You're Young"). It was actually one of the easier tunes, which is not to say it was easy! Playing their music was probably the most challenging project I've ever been involved with. I found myself swamped with "homework" (and unfortunately, part of that homework was spotting and correcting a lot of mistakes in the transcriptions, which made it even harder than it should've been). I strongly suspect that a majority of the guitar parts were written on keyboard by Kerry; they're very un-guitaristic and often don't sit so well on the instrument.

I always thought Gary Green was a bit of an anomaly. Here's this blues/rocker who could nail these very unwieldy parts that had nothing to do with blues/rock... and even play them soulfully! I assumed that he must've been really great at reading music, but it turned out that I was wrong. I played two gigs with that band and (as if playing that stuff wasn't nerve racking enough) Gary was in attendance at both of them. Talking to him before the show actually helped put me at ease, because he's such a great guy. He told me that he actually wasn't very good at reading music at all and that he learned all of his parts by ear... which I found to be pretty amazing! I told him that one of the things that I found to be difficult was remembering everything (and I was the only guy in the band who wasn't reading music on stage besides the singer/leader), because a lot of stuff happens in a short period of time with most GG tunes. Gary told me that he had trouble with that too; he said (and this is a direct quote), "oh, we had some pretty shitty gigs!"

Anyway, the best thing to come out of that experience was meeting him. I seriously doubt that there was anybody else around at the time that could've done what he did with GG; he was perfect for that band! Viva Gary Green!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That's exactly it- he could be so technical and then his solos were so greasy, I LOVE that! Anyway, I think I nailed the rhythm stuff decently (a million punches)but the guitar I'm using is damn near unplayable and the melodies in the verses and the solo sounds like ass... I'll try again- unless you want to do it!

So, I pre ordered this from AMAZON and got the free MP3 rip (I am a prime member) and I think that the new stereo mixes of the songs by SW are already ripped.... at least there is different stuff on PROCLAMATION that I remember... it is actually quite cool. Many instruments are easily heard that I hadn't noticed before...

"HAIL TO POWER" hammond part is quite cool, when it changes KEY, the keyboardist used the start motor of the hammond to raise the pitch while he is playing chords. I am listening now and typing when I hear some stuff I never heard before.

The break part is amazing with just quiet instruments.

The drums on Cogs in Cogs are simply amazing.

Jim

PS - if there has been a re mix previous than SW than perhaps I am listening to it but this AMAZON version is definitely different than the LP I had back in the 70s.
    Last edited by jkleban; 07-01-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Anyway, I think I nailed the rhythm stuff decently (a million punches)but the guitar I'm using is damn near unplayable and the melodies in the verses and the solo sounds like ass... I'll try again- unless you want to do it!
    I'd love to, but (I'm a little ashamed to admit this) I have no home recording gear. And you live in Chattanooga and I live in Chicago. I play in a band that tours through the States and we've been in TN a few times, but I'm not sure when we'll be there again... and you'd probably like to get this done sooner than later. Anyway, I'm sure you can do it; just get that guitar to a guitar doctor! Or buy one from Guitar Center and return it when you're done (they have that 30 day policy). But fwiw, I'm flattered that you'd trust me to give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'd love to, but (I'm a little ashamed to admit this) I have no home recording gear. And you live in Chattanooga and I live in Chicago. I play in a band that tours through the States and we've been in TN a few times, but I'm not sure when we'll be there again... and you'd probably like to get this done sooner than later. Anyway, I'm sure you can do it; just get that guitar to a guitar doctor! Or buy one from Guitar Center and return it when you're done (they have that 30 day policy). But fwiw, I'm flattered that you'd trust me to give it a go!
    I did a lot of punching in and I think I got it... maybe in the future you'll get yourself a setup!

maybe in the future you'll get yourself a setup!
    Well, I think that window of opportunity is shut. The times that it was open were when I wasn't living with a woman that I was involved with... and then I was too focused on acquiring guitar gear. As part of a couple these days, there's always stuff that "we need" that takes priority. I do have some friends that own/manage classy commercial recording studios and I can get free access during their down time on occasion.

But it sounds like you have it under control in your very capable hands. Please post the results when you're done; I for one (no pun intended) would love to hear it!

Well here's what I got, minus vocals (btw, sorry about the thread hijack everyone!)

http://picosong.com/Phfv

I've wasted too much time on this already, I'm supposed to be writing, not doing covers *lol* I know the guitar is still mostly wretched, I may recut it at some point now that I sort of know how it goes. Don't know what to do about vocals, the lead is out of my range!

Very nice Fred! I hope you don't mind but I posted the link to the On Reflection list and asked if anyone wanted to volunteer to sing it!

Excellent !

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Very nice Fred! I hope you don't mind but I posted the link to the On Reflection list and asked if anyone wanted to volunteer to sing it!
    Oh, cool!

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    So, I pre ordered this from AMAZON and got the free MP3 rip (I am a prime member) and I think that the new stereo mixes of the songs by SW are already ripped.... at least there is different stuff on PROCLAMATION that I remember... it is actually quite cool. Many instruments are easily heard that I hadn't noticed before...

"HAIL TO POWER" hammond part is quite cool, when it changes KEY, the keyboardist used the start motor of the hammond to raise the pitch while he is playing chords. I am listening now and typing when I hear some stuff I never heard before.

The break part is amazing with just quiet instruments.

The drums on Cogs in Cogs are simply amazing.

Jim

PS - if there has been a re mix previous than SW than perhaps I am listening to it but this AMAZON version is definitely different than the LP I had back in the 70s.

Release Date: Tuesday, July 22, 2014

When I look at "recently added" in my Amazon Music Library, I see P&TG (2009) and Passion Play (2000)... What gives Amazon, why are you giving me OLD mixes for something NEW I ordered???
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Amazon does not appear to have MP3 versions of the remix yet. I'm afraid any mix differences in the current "AutoRip" version are strictly in the ear of the behearer. iTunes does have the remix listed, but it's apparently not available to preview until the release date. But if the timings listed on iTunes are to be believed, there's a big difference in "Aspirations": the Wilson remix version is about 40 seconds longer than the original, clocking in at 5:20!

Well here's what I got, minus vocals (btw, sorry about the thread hijack everyone!)

http://picosong.com/Phfv

I've wasted too much time on this already, I'm supposed to be writing, not doing covers *lol* I know the guitar is still mostly wretched, I may recut it at some point now that I sort of know how it goes.
    Sounds great, Fred! Nothing wrong with the guitar besides it being slightly buried in the mix, but I'm kinda digging the up front keyboards! I give it a