Thread: Jazz Solo Transcriptions

Jazz Solo Transcriptions

I don't know how many (if any) of you would be interested in this, but if just one person is, it'd be worth posting about. I just discovered a site that has a bunch of (partial) solo transcriptions from several jazz artists. They're transcribed by guitarist Steve Kahn and there's accompanying mp3s and analysis for each one. There's a lot of stuff from Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Pat Martino, Michael Brecker and some Herbie Hancock, Freddie Hubbard, etc. The transcriptions aren't made with a program like Finale or Sibelius; they're hand written and consequentially a little harder to read... but what do you want for free!

I'm excited about it! Though the majority of my gigs are with pop/rock cover bands, jazz is about all I ever practice and I've been feeling pretty stagnant with my playing for quite a while. I'm hoping to motivate myself and delve into some of this stuff. I've always been too lazy to transcribe. I have picked up ideas and licks from other players by ear, but I never wrote anything down; always just memorized. So I think this is pretty cool!

Anyway, here's the site:

http://www.stevekhan.com/korner1.htm

Enjoy! Or not...

I love Steve Khan, and knew immediately this thread was gonna be about his transcriptions. I first discovered them, when looking for a Martino solo on Blue Bossa, haha! Never found it, but this is how I found Steve's site, and how I had him burn me CDR's of his two out-of-print Eyewitness albums, signed by himself, for a reasonable fee. He's a genuine guy, and one of my favorite musicians on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I love Steve Khan, and knew immediately this thread was gonna be about his transcriptions.
    How come you never told me about it... Cone?

Though I want to focus on more harmonically "modern" stuff like Brecker and Hancock solos, there's transcriptions of two of my favorite Wes Montgomery solos there; "Unit 7" and "Gone With the Wind." Might have to start there.

Oh, and I owe thanks to Spknoevl; he's a PE member, though I haven't "seen" him here in a while. He posted the link on The Allan Holdsworth Discussion Forum, which I browsed through yesterday for the firs time in a couple of years.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Wow. That's actually pretty awesome. I'll look into to some of them.

Thanks.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Nice! Thanks!

So many good ideas come from jazz improvisations that it makes you wonder what level some of these guys were on when they put them down. I know they made many takes and used several of the same ideas over, but some of the best improves are amazing. Who do you feel we're the best and what time of their career?