Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Drake - Lawn Ornaments

^^

Somehow I hope not!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    There's a rumour running around now that they'll be kicking Chris McGuire out of Yes and replacing him with Bob in order to make a new triple concept album, Hell on Earth. It has Howe going nuts over Bob's ol' banjo.
    Now, I'll buy this Yes album!!

Wow, I'm glad I got turned onto this before the end of the year. This is real good stuff, just from the samples on your site. Looking forward to the cd arriving!

Now excuse me while I absorb the rest of your back catalog. :P

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ Skull Mailbox is one of me favorites by anybody ever.
    Skull Mailbox is not carried at Wayside. What would you rec of what Steve carries? (I'll prolly throw a Drake album on to my next order.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Skull Mailbox is not carried at Wayside. What would you rec of what Steve carries? (I'll prolly throw a Drake album on to my next order.)
    13 Songs and a Thing
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

chalkpie
    "Ornaments" made it into my CD player again today - and it has been too long. Well, actually 1.5ish times. I need to do a review semi-properly at some point but I can safely say that I am thoroughly enjoying the cream cheese out of this album - its really, really, really flippin' great. I did enjoy it when I first got it, but after letting it collect some dust mites, like a fine vintage it is now speaking to me in a big way. I will say that sonically it is not my favorite BD album - I guess more on that later - but musically it is just so dense, of course brilliantly arranged and executed, and flat-out beautiful in many spots.

Mr Bob - this is a long shot - but here goes: When Ian Beabout interviewed you, you had some very nice comments to say regarding Tim Smith/Cardiacs, specifically "Dog-Like Sparky". So here it is: I've noticed some pretty chord sequences (although fairly tonal) displayed in a fairly non-conventional manner - possibly something that could've had the "Tim" eyebrows on it, and not really done in this way on your other records. So, is this merely coincidental or perhaps some inspiration being drawn here from some deep subconscious level? Or am I nucking futs straight up? I was thinking about this today, especially during "Hyena Hot Springs". BTW, this is NOT accusing you in any way of ripping anybody off

In any event, I'm excited to really dive in to this thing all over again, although its competing with some newer stuff that I'm discovering right now.

chalkpie
    Did you ever manage to get Skull, Matt? If not, make that a life priority, its really THAT good. 13 Songs is also essential, and so is The Shunned Country, which is just fucking fantastic. It is probably my favorite sounding BD album - the production on that one gets an A++. Well, they are all essential IMO.

chalkpie

I love 1:06 - 1:14 - great modulation there.

Lovely guitar tone at 2:10.

Bob's voice sounds GREAT at 2:35!

Beautiful little melody/chords at 2:59 (great key change too).

There's a ton more, but those things really stand out for me in this tune.

Let me check and see if it's available again, before you have to choose 2nd choice.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Did you ever manage to get Skull, Matt? If not, make that a life priority, its really THAT good. 13 Songs is also essential, and so is The Shunned Country, which is just fucking fantastic. It is probably my favorite sounding BD album - the production on that one gets an A++. Well, they are all essential IMO.
    Forgot about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Let me check and see if it's available again, before you have to choose 2nd choice.
    Ok. Next order then.

I owe myself the latest William Drake, too. I also forgot about that one!

chalkpie
    Forgot about it!
    Fuhgottaboutit.....Ooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ehhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice little ditty. Thanks for the link!

It's in stock. Not sure why you couldn't find it?

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-spc-CTA9.aspx
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

It's in stock. Not sure why you couldn't find it?

http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-spc-CTA9.aspx
    Twist my arm why don't you.

Ordering now.

SO much music to buy ---- now I need Lawn Ornaments! Damn that sample sounded killer.

You should check out zombywoof's show where Bob is a guest and talks about his music (Chris Cutler is on too). It's fantastic and a whole lot of fun.

https://www.mixcloud.com/progrockdee...ler-cohosting/

Last edited by B D; 07-06-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of things I should have said!

haha I think that's a good metaphor for the construction of the album! I love this one, not least because of the more-than-usual use of piano and keys. More please!

How on God’s sweet, green, peaceful Earth did I miss this? Just heard some tracks from it on zombywoof’s excellent radio show and that made me order it.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Bob Drake - Lawn Ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    How on God’s sweet, green, peaceful Earth did I miss this? Just heard some tracks from it on zombywoof’s excellent radio show and that made me order it.
    Sweet! His new one is due this year. Also get Skull Mailbox, it's a terrific work! Bobs work is the antidote to today's overproduced musical landscape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Also get Skull Mailbox, it's a terrific work!
    Shall do!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Skull Mailbox, it's a terrific work!
    BTW, here's a very favorable review of SM, in case you haven't seen it.

Geez, didn't know that that Drake worked together with Ice Cube, Quincy Jones, Tina Turner and George Clinton. Again what learned!

didn't know that that Drake worked together with Ice Cube, Quincy Jones, Tina Turner and George Clinton. Again what learned!
    Engelbert Humperdinck! And I'm not even kidding...

Not even Steve Nelson did anything remotely like that, so 10-0 to Bob D, hee-hee.

Glad you're enjoying Lawn Ornaments!

BTW, here's a very favorable review of SM, in case you haven't seen it.
    It was so fortunate to have Dominique writing reviews!!

Geez, didn't know that that Drake worked together with Ice Cube, Quincy Jones, Tina Turner and George Clinton. Again what learned!
    Yes I worked as a freelance engineer for a couple of years when I lived in Los Angeles between 1990-1994. Here are a few other albums I engineered/mixed back then:

Yo Yo - Black Pearl: https://youtu.be/xHiXVvC-bQM

Charo - Guitar Passion: https://youtu.be/QDJPrL47whE

Latin Alliance: https://youtu.be/HYnfrclTJZg

I have a good story about Latin Alliance. Once night the session was obviously going to go on much longer than expected. At the time I had an epileptic dog who had to have medication every 12 hours or she'd go into seizures. I told the guys I was going to have to take a break and go give my dog her medication. My cheap old car (1965 Ranchero) was broken down at the time so I started to call a cab. (my place was about a 20-minute drive away in Burbank.) One of the guys said "Aww man, here take my car and go get her!" and handed me the keys. It was some kind of ridiculously huge, fancy Cadillac or such thing, super tricked-up and flashy. I thought it was really funny - me, the most un-materialistic person, driving this outrageously flashy expensive car. Anyway I went and got my dog and we carried on with recording "Low Rider"!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    Glad you're enjoying Lawn Ornaments!
    I’m still waiting for the post to deliver it & the wait is making me antsy. What I heard on zomby’s show was incredible, man!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Drake View Post
    [...] ridiculously huge, fancy Cadillac or such thing, super tricked-up and flashy. [...]
    Ha, cool story. All that was missing was a fur coat and a diamond encrusted cane!