Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Fired up About "The Hobbit"?

Anyone Else Fired up About "The Hobbit"?

After years of dispute, "The Hobbit" is almost here! As a big fan of LoTR, I'm very excited about this one. Anyone else? Has anyone seen the premiere in Wellington?

Yes! I can't wait. I even read The Hobbit again in anticipation. Bring on the Bilbo!

looking forward to this more than Lord of the Rings!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    My boss at the time took our team out to see all three of the earlier movies. I fell asleep in I and II, but due to the ingestion of large amounts of coffee I managed to remain conscious in III. Maybe I'll check this out on DVD when it comes out.

Ready!!!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Can't wait!!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Sure. Fire up a hobbit and pass it this way.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Meh. I'm sure I'll see it, if only to complain about it.

I had a student today tell me he thought the LotR movies were better than the books. I told him he should banished and set outside the camp with the lepers. (Not fair to lepers, I know.)

Hopefully my viewing experience will benefit from low expectations.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I am beyond ready, I am practically turgid with excitement.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Not quite as ready as Jerjo, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm fired up to sell this Hobbit book that I've been sitting on since forever - - - hoping for some big bucks.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It is making some moviegoers sick:

http://news.yahoo.com/why-hobbit-mak...150200400.html

A shining spark in another wise dreary world. Seeing it a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I had a student today tell me he thought the LotR movies were better than the books. I told him he should banished and set outside the camp with the lepers. (Not fair to lepers, I know.)
    I never have read Lord of the Rings. I quite enjoyed the trilogy of films and own the special editions on Blu-Ray. I don't care to ever read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I did hear about this on a local tv station. I haven't read the article you posted, but I heard it was mainly the version in 3D.

I'm there with my daughter. Kay could care less about the Tolkien experience, which imo is her loss.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'll go see it...eventually. I wasn't totally bowled over by the LotR movies, as I've documented in other threads about them. I saw them all in the theater, I own all 3 on DVD, but never upgraded to BluRay because I've only watched them all once apiece.

In fairness to Mr Jackson, it was a very tall order. These books were just so important to me in my teen years that there is no way any movies could replace my 'vision' of the story, in my imagination. Also, when reading the books one gets a real sense of the time required to travel to Mordor and destroy the Ring. The movies just go by too fast. I have MANY pet peeves about Jackson's vision of the story vs what I deemed were the more important features of the story. Jackson wanted an action movie, but LotR had a certain social and philosophical undertone, largely ignored (imo) by Mr Jackson.

I'll stop now...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post

In fairness to Mr Jackson, it was a very tall order. These books were just so important to me in my teen years that there is no way any movies could replace my 'vision' of the story, in my imagination. Also, when reading the books one gets a real sense of the time required to travel to Mordor and destroy the Ring. The movies just go by too fast. I have MANY pet peeves about Jackson's vision of the story vs what I deemed were the more important features of the story. Jackson wanted an action movie, but LotR had a certain social and philosophical undertone, largely ignored (imo) by Mr Jackson.
    I'll stop now...

That's why I systematically refused to see them movies as well... and boycotted anything from them

I practically learne my English on these three books, and it was unfortunately all-too hyp to read them, but it's undeniable that it had an impact on me ... I probably hold them way too high in my esteem because of that as well... (Should I discover the trilogy nowadays, I'd probably say WTF, and not get past Bombadil's house)

But yeah, it was clear from the start that the movies cxouldn't have possibly filled the whole oeuvre's agenda... despite (or maybe fortunately because) Tolkien's questionable very right-wing affinities that tend to permeate his trilogy
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Jackson wanted an action movie, but LotR had a certain social and philosophical undertone, largely ignored (imo) by Mr Jackson.
    That's the root of it with me too. I realize that cuts and alterations need to be made when any novel is made into a film. But rewriting the epic to fit an action-blockbuster format did serious violence to what I experienced as the heart of the story.

I'll stop now too, though we've dealt with this a bit deeper in the Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature group. (Anyone can join in, btw.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But yeah, it was clear from the start that the movies couldn't have possibly filled the whole oeuvre's agenda... despite (or maybe fortunately because) Tolkien's questionable very right-wing affinities that tend to permeate his trilogy
    I don't know if we would want to get into this here, but I'd really like to read your take on that. Perhaps in the Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature group? There's already a thread dedicated to Tolkien, and it seems to ideal place for such a discussion.

A film is not a book, and vice versa. A film that followed The Lord of the Rings step by step would be incomprehensible and unwatchable.

For me, as someone who read LotR every year from the age of 15 until relatively recently and studied the works of Tolkien and his fellow inklings at university, I find it hard to imagine anyone doing a better job of filming what everyone said was unfilmable.

Having said that though, I have a few misgivings about stretching out The Hobbit into 3 films - I presume there will be a lot of delving into the mythology to flesh it out...

Actually, maybe the stretching out of The Hobbit may be more to my liking. I'll admit I was very curious when I first heard about this. I realise it's 'Hollywood Milking Of A Proven License' at it's finest, but I also realise how much a trilogy of movies can cost to make. I have a feeling this trilogy will be more to my liking. The story itself seems more presentable in a movie format, and Mr Jackson must have learned plenty of "not to do's" from the first trilogy.

Is this going to be a 3-D movie? I loathe that format as I cannot wear those glasses comfortably, and actually get a little nauseous about 40 minutes into any 3-D experience.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Also, when reading the books one gets a real sense of the time required to travel to Mordor and destroy the Ring. The movies just go by too fast. I have MANY pet peeves about Jackson's vision of the story vs what I deemed were the more important features of the story.
    I am glad that I never cared to read the book and I simply love the movies. I think the movies move along just fine. They accomplished something great. Those of us who haven't read Lord of the Rings and who love the films are the real winners here!

Who's going to toss the dwarves in this one? Hobbits are too small!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I love both the movies but only watch the directoer's cuts that restores a lot of what fans of the books wanted to see that was cut, and I love the books and one does not compromise the other in my opinion. I will never forget getting to see the sign of Prancing Pony, Rivendell and Moria int he first movie. Blew me away just as it does when I read the books.

Excited? Sure - it's been nine (wow) years since Return of the King, so I'm ready for more Middle Earth. Not sure what to make of stretching it into three films, or of how the extensive work already done by Del Toro will affect the end result... but I'm ready to find out!