Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roger Wates Question??? / Anyone here do the DSOTM/Wizard Of Oz sinc?

Roger Wates Question??? / Anyone here do the DSOTM/Wizard Of Oz sinc?

title should be -- Roger Waters Question???

Can anyone help???

I seem to recall that one of the more recent ROGER WATERS solo songs seemed to contain musical and lyrical references to previous Pink Floyd work...

Also, I thought there was a video for this song that might've poked fun at the DSOTM/WOO rumor, but not too sure as I only saw it one time....

Any help would be great!!!

RRL

*** Also, anyone here do the sync? I did a few times and there were some very cool moments, especially the black and blue witches portion...

I did the sync once, and honestly, I still think it's more than coincidence.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    title should be --
    Also, anyone here do the sync?
    No i haven't, but i once did a sync with the movie Secret Ceremony starring Liz Taylor and Mia Farrow and The Bedlam in Goliath by The Mars Volta and can tell you it was really some mind blowing shit.

I did it once.

The coolest parts for me were when the cash registers in Money start when the film switches to color and then the end when the heartbeat returns as Dorothy puts her head against the Tin Man's chest.

Fun, but a coincident.
    Last edited by Joe F.; 06-04-2014 at 12:20 PM.

DSOTM goes with everything. I often use it for soundtrack/ background music and sometimes it's scary....

Quote Originally Posted by lwpmedia View Post
    title should be -- Roger Waters Question???

Can anyone help???

I seem to recall that one of the more recent ROGER WATERS solo songs seemed to contain musical and lyrical references to previous Pink Floyd work...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

thank you, Battema -- that's it..

Yes, I didn't do it but it was floating around YOUTUBE for awhile and it was pretty coincidental. Someone did a LAMB and a video (I think it was Alice in Wonderland, but not sure) match up as well and in parts, it too synced up, merely coincidence IMHO.

Jim

First time I did the sync I was amazed at how many of the lyrics / music matched up.. then I got a hold of a list of things to look for.. some were a stretch but others were down right eerie.. "Listen son said the man with the gun" (Us and Them).. at the same moment they show the tin man holding a gun? Hell I never even noticed that the tin man ever had a gun and I've seen Wizard of Oz dozens of times over the years as a child and watching it with my children when they were growing up.. No way I believe the idea that Floyd had anything to do with it.. but it is rather odd.. And I guess the ultimate kicker is .. who was the person who thought this would be a groovy idea to sit down and play them together.. and whats the deal with starting at the second or third roar of the lion..

Many many years ago one of the local theaters did a sync-up of Wizard and Dark Side as part of a PF laser light show. It was amusing but also kind of like psychics...I think the audience brought most of the meaning based on a handful of coincidental cues. Still a fun little experiment though.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

To me, the Echoes/2001 a space odyssey sync is way cooler than the DSotM/WOZ sync.

Never heard of Echoes/2001, but I did do TALES with 2001.
    Start with dawn, and "Dawn of a light...." The changes were amazing--blew my mind more than the DSOTM/OZ synch.
    'Course, you need the original TALES without the spacey intro before Jon's "rap."

Start Echoes right as the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" title card fades. You'd think they edited the piece to the film... I'll have to try the Tales sync. That's the film book0ended! I tried Gates of Delirium and Tron and that worked, oddly enough. When you start with Flynn entering the computer world the battle sequence hits right as they break out of the light-cycle game. Kinda cool...

That groove at about 7:00 of Echoes is unstoppable. Don't care which Disney movie you want to sync it with

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I tried Gates of Delirium and Tron and that worked, oddly enough.
    Wait WUT? Upload that to Youtube now!

To me, the Echoes/2001 a space odyssey sync is way cooler than the DSotM/WOZ sync.
    I tried that once. Actually, I think I taped 2001: A Space Odyssey off TV, and there was a commercial break in the middle of it. Thus, I may not have been getting the same results others got. The thing that I did get, though, was at the end of the last vocal section, just as Gilmour launches into the descending/ascending chromatic line, Dave Bowman's wine glass falling and hitting the floor coincided perfectly with the downbeat as that section began. I don't remember too much else being that impressive.

I think that's one that a lot of people like to put a lot of weight on, because there's a long standing urban legend that the band wrote Echoes for 2001: A Space Odyssey, because of there's been a long standing urban legend that Pink Floyd were considered for the film's score. I seriously doubt either is true.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I tried that once. Actually, I think I taped 2001: A Space Odyssey off TV, and there was a commercial break in the middle of it. Thus, I may not have been getting the same results others got. The thing that I did get, though, was at the end of the last vocal section, just as Gilmour launches into the descending/ascending chromatic line, Dave Bowman's wine glass falling and hitting the floor coincided perfectly with the downbeat as that section began. I don't remember too much else being that impressive.

I think that's one that a lot of people like to put a lot of weight on, because there's a long standing urban legend that the band wrote Echoes for 2001: A Space Odyssey, because of there's been a long standing urban legend that Pink Floyd were considered for the film's score. I seriously doubt either is true.
    I've read a Waters interview where he says it was his wish that they were given the opportunity to score that film.. obviously they were not..

I don't think so either. If they were, it would have been for about 5 minutes in a Kubrick brain-storming session. The changes in the song line up very well with the changes in the sequence though if you time it right, almost well enough you could vaguely entertain the notion that someone went to see the film and took some general timing notes and edited to them. I may try to do a video some time.

You can easily put the kibosh on either theory. Echoes was written, or at least first performed, three years after the release of 2001 (early 1968). The original score was commissioned from Alex North near the start of production of the film (late 1965) at which time the band had only just become 'Pink Floyd'.

I'm now off to sync up Arnold Layne with Steamboat Willie...

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    You can easily put the kibosh on either theory. Echoes was written, or at least first performed, three years after the release of 2001 (early 1968).
    Right, but that's why you could consider the idea they saw the movie in the theater (it ran for months) and got some general times from it.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I've read a Waters interview where he says it was his wish that they were given the opportunity to score that film.. obviously they were not..
    Yeah, I remember reading that too, something to the effect that he was using 2001: A Space Odyssey as an example of the kind of picture Pink Floyd wanted to do music for. And I think some people misinterpreted the comment as if to suggest that the band was offered the opportunity to do the music.

Now, another story I've heard was that Kubrick wanted to use Atom Heart Mother in A Clockwork Orange, but the band refused. Then, decades later, when Waters wanted to use a sample of HAL 9000 speaking on one of his solo albums, Kubrick, likewise, refused permission.

I don't think so either. If they were, it would have been for about 5 minutes in a Kubrick brain-storming session. The changes in the song line up very well with the changes in the sequence though if you time it right, almost well enough you could vaguely entertain the notion that someone went to see the film and took some general timing notes and edited to them. I may try to do a video some time.
    You'd have to sit there with a stop watch and a pen and paper. You know the noise an analog stop watch makes, don't ya? You'd probably have been thrown out of the movie theater for being a nuisance.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 06-07-2014 at 02:06 PM.

You can easily put the kibosh on either theory. Echoes was written, or at least first performed, three years after the release of 2001 (early 1968). The original score was commissioned from Alex North near the start of production of the film (late 1965) at which time the band had only just become 'Pink Floyd'.
    The theory I heard hinged on the idea that the band probably some of the musical ideas floating around for a period of time, and so perhaps some of the bits were composed for the film, as per Us And Them (which was originally an instrumental Rick Wright wrote for the Zabriskie Point). But I think that theory also came from someone who had their dates way off, in terms of when the movie was released.

Even if you bought into that idea, the music Pink Floyd were making in 67-68 was very different from the music they were making in 1971. So I don't think they would have come up with the bits that comprised Echoes in 1967.

You'd have to sit there with a stop watch and a pen and paper. You know the noise an analog stop watch makes, don't ya? You'd probably have been thrown out of the movie theater for being a nuisance.
    Well it's not close enough that anyone used a stop watch. Someone could have glanced at a normal watch though and jotted down some times. I don't think they did though; I think it's coincidence.

I'm now off to sync up Arnold Layne with Steamboat Willie...
    It's an urban legend that Mickey Mouse was cinema's first transvestite by stealing Minnie's clothes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"