Thread: Any amateur animators on here?

Any amateur animators on here?

I'm looking for an amateur (or experienced) animator who'd be willing to make an animation for a music video.

For our 1st album, I made all the music videos myself. They weren't animations. Just simple 'Ken Burns' style slideshows so we could get our songs on YouTube & not have it be visually empty.

But for our 2nd album, I'd like to at least have 1 song have an actual animation to it.

It doesn't have to be a complex animation. I don't even care whether or not it's in color. Just so long as it pertains to the song.

The down side is: I don't think this would be a paying gig. I mean, I might be able to pay something, but it's not going to be some $25/hr pro wage. I was just hoping to find someone who enjoyed animating & thought it'd be fun to help out a fellow artist.

$25/hr pro?!?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    $25/hr pro?!?
    Lol, was that too low? I literally have NO idea. I was just trying to make sure it was understood that I've got no real huge sum I could scrounge up to pay someone for a minimalistic black & white animation.

'Pro' isn't about the amount of money one's paid, it's about the quality of the work they provide
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    'Pro' isn't about the amount of money one's paid, it's about the quality of the work they provide
    I'm not opposed to having a pro help me out if they don't mind low to no pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    I was simply insinuating that professional animators (whose work would appear regularly in public works) would probably demand a lot more than this. However, my guess is that, like the music business, only the top tier would make a comfortable living wage solely from this pursuit. Getting to the top tier would not imply superior talent (though a minimum standard would have to be achieved), but superior connections, timing, etc.

Would this be true in the experience of those pursuing this trade?
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

My daughter does some animation at college (RIT). Basically she charges $25/hour (but it also depends on time committment, deadlines, the degree of difficulty and medium you want it developed in, and a few other factors. She can charge this because she is good even though she is a student. She does take commissions. Here's a link to her Tumbler page - but be aware some of this is her work and some are just things she finds inspiring or interesting: http://d-letion.tumblr.com/

Generally she says a professional rate would begain at about $40/hour and go up from there depending on the artists reputation and such. A professional design firm would certainly cost you more.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    I was simply insinuating that professional animators (whose work would appear regularly in public works) would probably demand a lot more than this. However, my guess is that, like the music business, only the top tier would make a comfortable living wage solely from this pursuit. Getting to the top tier would not imply superior talent (though a minimum standard would have to be achieved), but superior connections, timing, etc.

Would this be true in the experience of those pursuing this trade?

Certainly true. I was just kidding around. I know some pro animators and they don't give up their time for free too often.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My daughter does some animation at college (RIT). Basically she charges $25/hour (but it also depends on time committment, deadlines, the degree of difficulty and medium you want it developed in, and a few other factors. She can charge this because she is good even though she is a student. She does take commissions. Here's a link to her Tumbler page - but be aware some of this is her work and some are just things she finds inspiring or interesting: http://d-letion.tumblr.com/

Generally she says a professional rate would begain at about $40/hour and go up from there depending on the artists reputation and such. A professional design firm would certainly cost you more.
    Damn.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    My animation skills have not been used in years...
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"