Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello again to everyone here on PE

Hello again to everyone here on PE

It's been a LONG time since I've been on here. I figured now is as good a time as any to come back, since I've come a lot further from the struggle that I previously was. I've grown in many ways over the past few years & the band itself has too. Anyway, I've got to get going, but I'll be back on here later.

And NO this isn't a joke account (I have noticed the running legendary joke I've become on here).

"Hello, I must be going"?

Happy Birthday, Lino.

(I have noticed the running legendary joke I've become on here).
    YOU'RE Billy Sherwood?
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    YOU'RE Billy Sherwood?
    LMAO!
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    YOU'RE Billy Sherwood?
    LMAO!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by BlueVino View Post
    It's been a LONG time since I've been on here. I figured now is as good a time as any to come back, since I've come a lot further from the struggle that I previously was. I've grown in many ways over the past few years & the band itself has too. Anyway, I've got to get going, but I'll be back on here later.

And NO this isn't a joke account (I have noticed the running legendary joke I've become on here).
    Hey,
    Hello..!!!
    Welcome back again...

???

My guess would be Lino as well. Anyway, welcome back!

Still in Las Vegas?

Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    Hey,
    Hello..!!!
    Welcome back again...
    Thanks!

A lot has changed since the last time I was on here. I've changed, the band has changed, all hopefully for the better. I had forgotten about PE until I was looking through REALLY old emails the other day & saw what I was trying to do way back in the days when I was trying to get some traction with a band that didn't even have a product to give.

Long story short: A friend & colleague of mine asked me one question while we were having a conversation about how musicians always wanna "make it!" or "hit it big." He asked me, "what's 'making it' to you?" I realized all I really wanted to do was make albums & have those albums available for anyone to buy anywhere in the world. Making only music that we are proud of. Why should it matter if anyone else is proud of it so long as the band is proud of it?

Here I am, 2 albums later. It was so much nicer & enjoyable to just focus on making the music instead of trying to get noticed. It made all the difference in the world.

Having said that, I do actually have a question for other artists on here:

Regarding distribution/availability of music, the first album I put up for sale all over the place: iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, GooglePlay, MOG, eMusic, and others that I don't remember & have never heard of before.

Sales ended up coming in from iTunes & Amazon (maybe GooglePlay, but if so it would've only been like one track or two tracks sold). So I didn't do that w/ the second album. The second one is just on Amazon right now & I'm putting it on GooglePlay soon.

What has your experience been selling your music? Would you say it's worth it to have it available all over the place, or a waste of time?

Finally: Do you think it's worth it to sell on iTunes? If an album is available somewhere, both in MP3 & CD forms, would you think I'm harming potential sales just because it's not on iTunes?

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Still in Las Vegas?
    Yes & No. I'm in Ohio, but the rest of the band is still in Las Vegas.

I'm no expert but I say give iTunes a shot. It seems that a lot of music buyers buy digital these days and probably most younger music fans. If it doesn't work out for you then you can cancel I suppose but I would think it would be a risk worth taking given the high profile status of iTunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I'm no expert but I say give iTunes a shot. It seems that a lot of music buyers buy digital these days and probably most younger music fans. If it doesn't work out for you then you can cancel I suppose but I would think it would be a risk worth taking given the high profile status of iTunes.
    The reason I'm reluctant is because you have to go through a 3rd party that encodes your music for iTunes. That usually costs $35 or so. I think it's a 1 time fee, but not positive on that. For some reason it still doesn't sit well with me though. I'm probably just being stubborn.

Well,
    about how to sell the best,
    to me, the product is the seed, ok.
    The flowering of this seed has always been distribution...
    So, find (and try to convince) the best distributor in the world if possible to sell your product....that's it...YES....!!!

Thanks!

A lot has changed since the last time I was on here. I've changed, the band has changed, all hopefully for the better. I had forgotten about PE until I was looking through REALLY old emails the other day & saw what I was trying to do way back in the days when I was trying to get some traction with a band that didn't even have a product to give.

Long story short: A friend & colleague of mine asked me one question while we were having a conversation about how musicians always wanna "make it!" or "hit it big." He asked me, "what's 'making it' to you?" I realized all I really wanted to do was make albums & have those albums available for anyone to buy anywhere in the world. Making only music that we are proud of. Why should it matter if anyone else is proud of it so long as the band is proud of it?

Here I am, 2 albums later. It was so much nicer & enjoyable to just focus on making the music instead of trying to get noticed. It made all the difference in the world.

Regarding distribution/availability of music, the first album I put up for sale all over the place: iTunes, Rhapsody, Amazon, GooglePlay, MOG, eMusic, and others that I don't remember & have never heard of before.

Sales ended up coming in from iTunes & Amazon (maybe GooglePlay, but if so it would've only been like one track or two tracks sold). So I didn't do that w/ the second album. The second one is just on Amazon right now & I'm putting it on GooglePlay soon.

What has your experience been selling your music? Would you say it's worth it to have it available all over the place, or a waste of time?

Finally: Do you think it's worth it to sell on iTunes? If an album is available somewhere, both in MP3 & CD forms, would you think I'm harming potential sales just because it's not on iTunes?

Well,
    So, find (and try to convince) the best distributor in the world if possible to sell your product....that's it...YES....!!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by highaltitude View Post
    Well,
    Right now, music is pretty much mostly distributed online. I've been trying to do this while spending as least as possible. I especially want to avoid yearly fees. Tried Reverbnation's service for the 1st album & couldn't bring myself to keep it going when it was time for the 2nd album's release (as my yearly fees would've doubled = $70/yr to keep the 2 albums going). If I can get the albums on a lot of sites that Reverbnation distributes to without having to pay any fee, then why not do it myself & cut out the middle man.

That's how I arrived at the question about whether or not iTunes has been a necessity for any other artists on here who have experience selling music online.

I did find this site http://aristake.com/?post=92 which goes over the ups & downs of all the major online distributors. LOUDR is tempting. So is DISTROkid due to the flat rate of $20/yr regardless of how many albums I release. Decisions decisions.

This is like a Twilight Zone episode.

Is this where camples came from?

My head is spinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This is like a Twilight Zone episode.

Is this where camples came from?

My head is spinning.
    Was wondering when you'd chime in. How've you been?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    My whole universe has just shifted
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    I think cthulhu is rising
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

The reason I'm reluctant is because you have to go through a 3rd party that encodes your music for iTunes. That usually costs $35 or so. I think it's a 1 time fee, but not positive on that. For some reason it still doesn't sit well with me though. I'm probably just being stubborn.
    Or possibly overly cautious in which case you are entitled. I would get an opinion from other prog band members on here maybe one of the Glass Hammer guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Or possibly overly cautious in which case you are entitled. I would get an opinion from other prog band members on here maybe one of the Glass Hammer guys.
    Okay thanks! Who should I talk to (PE member name?)

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My whole universe has just shifted

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I think cthulhu is rising
    Did you guys think I just gave up music or something? I went through a LOT after you all knew me. Several band reformats. Hundreds of shows (some good but many just 'meh' cuz that's what it's like playing originals in Vegas: the town where musicians go to end their careers). I've matured & learned a lot. As I said above this post: the band has started to just make music we are proud of for ourselves. We're enjoying it, instead of focusing on getting notoriety & such. I haven't posted a single link on here regarding our albums. Don't need to. Any shameless promoting I do is on Twitter. It's a good outlet for us & I have no complaints about it.

Nice to see you back and wiser. I think your initial visit here was sort of hamstrung by your rather stubborn refusal to see the big picture. Sounds like you have gotten out and experienced some of that since then. That's good to hear! Sometimes that is the best way to know. You couldn't just take our words for it.

The best way to get respect here is to just chill and share some work casually over time. Coming in with guns blazing promising to be as great as Zappa jamming with The Doors didn't endear you but it's clear now that was youthful exuberance talking. People have tried the hype first angle (even those Glass Hammer guys ) and sooner or later realize that just chilling and being a part of the place for awhile alone makes people curious what you are up to.

Good luck in the future.

Okay thanks! Who should I talk to (PE member name?)
    Trul(aka Fred Schendel)is with Glass Hammer. If he doesn't chime in here then kindly send him a pm and ask him if he uses Itunes. I'm sure he would gladly offer you his opinion. There are others on here I'm sure but I don't know who else off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure Phideaux Xavier is on here too though come to think of it.