Thread: Causa Sui

Causa Sui

Discovered these guys last year through Dime from their performance at Freak Valley last summer. Subsequently purchased Summer Sessions Vol. 1-3 as well as Euporie Tide, which was probably my favorite recording of 2013. Recently discovered a label release recording from Freak Valley which I recently purchased. An amazing mix of stoner, metal and psychedelic with a bit of jazz thrown in. IMO, truly innovative in a time of musical regression. Love their understanding of dynamics. I believe they have been mentioned in the Stoner Rock thread.
    Last edited by Old Boy; 05-31-2014 at 01:21 AM.

I first discovered them tooling around youtube, there was a 58 minute song, maybe it is still there.

You def. need to find the Petwer Sessions as well!

Yes, we have discussed them in the stoner thread and they also had a thread of their own. " Free Ride",which I believe is their debut, has some vocals on it. You'll discover soon enough why they went instrumental after that...

Euporie Tide was a very nice record but I'm still partial to the Summer Sessions. The sax adds a different flavour to their sound. Pewt'r Sessions was also excellent!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Old Boy View Post
    Discovered these guys [...] IMO, truly innovative in a time of musical regression.
    I really like Causa Sui - and their recent live album especially - but with all due respect, the times we live in are not those of "musical regression"; just don't expect any from your casual "proggy-prog" quarters.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    People here turned me onto them recently. The only bummer is that I usually buy CDs, and the runs of the Summer and Pewter sessions have long since run out. I bought the Summer Sessions as downloads, though, and I like them a lot.

So I'm on board for picking up their stuff while it is available. I've tried some other recent stuff on their label, but those couple of excursions haven't appealed to me as much. Any recs on that front?
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

It's a Danish band but I dont know anybody who knows them here.

Causa Sui are one of the few bands on autobuy for me at the moment. I love their sound. It really grooves. They're one of those bands that I can play regardless of mood, which is how I feel about a lot of Miles Davis' output, while of course sounding very different from that.