Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: How Would You Edit Tales from Topographic Oceans?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Well, I suppose that's true. But the point was how outcomes aren't necessarily correspondent in any "logical" manner to initial intentions or objectives. Consequently, what one listener may find wholly rewarding about a song like "The Ancient" isn't always what its makers bargained for, and furthermore may be the exact same asset which turns off others. As such, Yes the "rock band" may be far more firmly adjusted to the impact-dynamic than would an artist typically trained in theories of music and its reception. "The Ancient" - as with "Sound Chaser" - are testaments to a combo pushing their own limits, and not merely their alleged limitations - on the level of ideas, not simply techniques of performance and execution. Which probably is what 'prog' is all about, no matter eventual "substylings".
    Yup, as I said sooner in this thread, the first part of The Ancient is somewhere between Heart Of The Sunrise and Sound Chaser.

As much as we all love it, HotSR is not exactly perfect in its construction or length... In some ways it's fairly repetitive as well, alternating between that crazy bass riff and the Trons quieter passages... We find something similar in The Ancient.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As much as we all love it, HotSR is not exactly perfect in its construction or length... In some ways it's fairly repetitive as well,
    "Heart of the Sunrise" achieves its purported coherency at the behest of apparent inconsistensies, which illustrates the point precisely. A group working through the motions and standard modes of "rock" by basically jamming their way to themes, riffs, ideas and whims, the appearance of actual "compositional" structure would often succeed but sometimes not. Still, the success of a song like "HotS" is that it manages to accomplish its very own, inner sense of logical unity. It's one of my very fave tunes of theirs, not least -because- it's such a daring form. The band's final attempt at something genuinely bold and daring - to my ears, at least - was "Awaken".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

[...] The band's final attempt at something genuinely bold and daring - to my ears, at least - was "Awaken".
    I would agree with this. All IMO of course.

But how would you idiot Tales From Topographic Oceans?

"Heart of the Sunrise" achieves its purported coherency at the behest of apparent inconsistensies, which illustrates the point precisely. A group working through the motions and standard modes of "rock" by basically jamming their way to themes, riffs, ideas and whims, the appearance of actual "compositional" structure would often succeed but sometimes not. Still, the success of a song like "HotS" is that it manages to accomplish its very own, inner sense of logical unity. It's one of my very fave tunes of theirs, not least -because- it's such a daring form. The band's final attempt at something genuinely bold and daring - to my ears, at least - was "Awaken".
    Just to say that HotS is also one of my faves (best from Fragile and in my top 10 anyways)....

And if Awaken is my utmost fave, I'm not sure I would call it "bold & daring", if only because it mears perfection
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.