Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SPLIT ENZ..PROG..? New Wave ..?

Oh yeah SS, two examples of the finest UK 60's greats.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Suspended
    I know this was supposed to be a Split Enz thread rather than Crowded House, but since there is some commonality and CH have been mentioned a few times, I'd like to give a recomendation to the album Intriguer. It's possibly even better than Woodface.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    The worst so far was metal band Helstar who wanted to have a song called "From beyond the Storm" titeled in German
    and came up with "Von am Lebem desto Strum". I think it shoudn't be to hard to find out that the two words "Lebem" and
    "Strum" dont even exist in German (and the rest to be utter nonsense).
    Even worse than Das Damen?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    You need to check out the 801 Live album post haste. Classic, imho.
    Simply the best debut live album of all time.

I think they were a semi-prog band until Neil returned for the album,Frenzy(1979). That's when they were smack dab in the middle of New Wave and the prog was gone. As far as their original costume period I will quote what a friend of mine said back in 1977 when I was on the fence about buying Mental Notes(USA)version. "Genesis had one guy,Peter Gabriel, who sang and wore costumes. Split Enz has 6 Peter Gabriels."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I read years ago that the Genesis vibe was merely coincidental that their influences were bands like Family, The Move, Velvet Underground among the lesser bands.
    I’m certain that the presence of synths and Mellotron in Eddie Rayner’s keyboard rig contributed to that perception as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    As far as their original costume period I will quote what a friend of mine said back in 1977 when I was on the fence about buying Mental Notes(USA)version. "Genesis had one guy,Peter Gabriel, who sang and wore costumes. Split Enz has 6 Peter Gabriels."
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Love Split Enz. I'll echo the sentiment that their first albums were pretty darned proggy, and they evolved as Neil Finn became more of a writing force within the band. Still love their more melodic poppy stuff as well. Heck, the Finn brother could sing a cereal jingle and I would likely love it. Some of the tastiest harmonies put to tape.

slainté
    Jamie

Isn't the passage at 2 minutes in a direct, blatant reference to Yes and Tales From Topographic Oceans?

What a band!

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Isn't the passage at 2 minutes in a direct, blatant reference to Yes and Tales From Topographic Oceans?

What a band!
    Yes, I've always thought that! Still sounds great though.

They were Yes fans...

What a band!
    Their first three albums are among the best art rock gone new wave examples, one will encounter.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS