Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Joy of Music

The Joy of Music

I was thinking today about the meaning of music in my life, and the joy it has and continues to bring. I dont think a day goes by that I dont listen to music. I bring my iPod with me everywhere, work, vacation, walks etc...

My earliest memories of music are of my parents record collection, my mom was a big Elvis fan, and they had a lot of music, Sinatra, Tom Jones etc...We had music at the house, and it was played often. My love of music started with my dad, he played guitar and used to always play for me and my sister. My dad started me on guitar, taught me chords, notes etc...and then asked if I wanted lessons. What a valuable gift he gave me. I started guitar lessons at 8, and continued until about 15.

My neighbor (who played drums) got me into rock music, as his sisters record collection was full of the 60's and 70's rock (I was born in 66, so this was probably b/t 74-76). We listened to the Beatles, Chicago, Seals & Crofts, Led Zeppelin, she had so much music that we listened constantly.

My first love was KISS (76) - Destroyer. That developed into Zeppelin, Sabbath, Rush, Aerosmith - 70's hard rock acts for the most part. I began playing with other musicians, ended up playing in bands, and played live for about 10 years (mid 80's to mid 90's). I still jam with friends, but the bar scene is not my thing, but I still love to play. I began writing music, and that has become my biggest music hobby (outside of listening and collecting).

Anyway - it just hit me that as much as I love the Prog rock we all discuss here so often, it really comes down to what appeals to me as great music or songs. George Harrison's solo material gives me a happy vibe, if I am in a bad mood, I put on some George and it seems to work. I admit that radio (not that I listen anymore) has killed much of the 70's hard rock that I loved, I still enjoy hearing the soaring vocals and guitar work of Boston, or the crunch of Zeppelin when the mood hits. Then some Metal (mostly Maiden) along 70's pop also has a soft spot. All that music has stayed with me and is special, all those bands and artists created magic!!! Genesis, Floyd, Crimson, Yes, GG, HTM, Camel came after, and progressive music has been the biggest form of enjoyment and discovery. I remember hearing GG in college (late 80's) and let me tell you, it was difficult to find their records, so I went to many record colletcion shows. These bands led to more obscure Prog (although I cant touch most of you in terms of knowledge) and I continue to search for new music. Finding new bands (Porcupine Tree) and discovering old ones like Zappa (I love his 70's output) has been incredible. NEARFest provided huge moments and new bands (Miriodir, Birdsongs), and I was lucky enough to attend a number of NF's over the years, only missing a few. Probably some of the coolest moments in my concert experiences, seeing Mike Keneally, UK, HTM, Porcupine Tree, Steve Hackett, Camel - amazing memories!

I just felt like jotting down my feelings on the subject this evening, for no particular reason other than music has been a lifelong companion, and I am sure it will always be a part of my life. I feel fortunate that it has played such a major role, it is hard to understand how some people can just put on a radio station and listen to whatever is playing, having no real passion for music just does not register with me. So from Prog, to Jazz, Classical, pop - the journey continues, and what a ride it has been so far!
    Last edited by eporter66; 05-27-2014 at 09:53 PM.

chalkpie
    Great piece bro

Music is the Best. Uncle Frank didn't even need to say it, but I'm glad he did. Its the greatest journey there is in life as far as I'm concerned.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Nice post, music has been a constant joy in my life for the last 40 years, whether it's an old classic that makes me smile unconditionally, a new discovery that stops me in my tracks or a night if live music. I'm at a Keneally gig tonight and I've really enjoyed the support acts. Music is indeed a joy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Exporter, nice post! I definitely agree that I just don't get it when people just aren't really into music.

My parents didn't at all listen to the music I do, but I definitely got my taste in most other art forms from them, and especially in the case of my father he liked a variety of things, but he usually required some sense of the exotic, mystery, surprises, and especially a richness, variety and often depth in what he read, the art and movies he liked , etc.

So I usually require those aspects in what I listen to, read, watch, etc.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Nice post, music has been a constant joy in my life for the last 40 years, whether it's an old classic that makes me smile unconditionally, a new discovery that stops me in my tracks or a night if live music. I'm at a Keneally gig tonight and I've really enjoyed the support acts. Music is indeed a joy.
    Cheers, Ian! Enjoy.

Suspended
    Good post. Sometimes I think people make the listening to and acquisition of music seem too much like work. "Must explore every bit of this artist's back catalogue in case i am missing out on something"... "must listen harder to this artist in the hope that I will finally "get" what it is about them that other people love"... "must pre-order this guy's new album without even having heard any of it in advance, then bitch about how he's becoming stale and derivative compared with earlier output." Just relax and enjoy the ride.

Music is an inextricable part of my life as well... and heck, Symphonic Rock and Jazz Rock and every other style of Prog music is just one piece of the pie of MUSIC that generates a positive vibe in my life
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

never forget what brought us here. kudos for this post.

Music has been my mistress for four decades and more, and I'm more faithful to her than I ever was to my different GFs

In terms of hobby, it's been a sometmes-obsessive number one ever since age 11, though I must say that there were some lows (second half of the 80's), when women became my fave pastime.

However, all my trials into actually playing it (congas, flute, KB and bass) were failures, so I guess music was less faithful to me than I was to her.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Great post Bro!

It made me reflect on what I enjoy in life the most-music or food? Tough call!

I enjoyed reading that. While my family weren't near as musically oriented (older brothers were jocks) as yours, I did get to enjoy a lot of great music via WRAS, the GA State University FM station that began in 71. One of my first big financial choices was whether I would buy an electric guitar and amp, or a stereo system. I opted for a stereo and got an acoustic guitar later. I probably averaged spending about 50.00/month on records, much to my parents' chagrin.
    Now I have a huge collection of CDs and music DVDs that desperately needs to be organized.

There were a number of times when I had to decide between PB&J for several days or the latest album I wanted. I sure got sick of eating PB&J, but I had plenty of music to enjoy over the years.

I cant function at work without music. It's like air.

What was it Nietzsche said? "Without music...

Music has been an important and essential part of my life for the last 40 years, and always will. I come from a family background that doesn't really give two s%&*# about music, but that never stopped me. I am sort of obsessed by it, but love it so much, nothing will stand in the way of it. If someone took it away, I would be heartbroken. It is my religion, and my spiritual connection to things. Long may it ride!
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

"Life is for the living
    Death is for the dead
    Let life be like music
    And death a note unsaid"

Langston Hughes
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Human beings are not unlike other animals in our need for touch and physical affection, but our love of music -- the universal language -- is unique. Written, spoken and sung language is culture-specific, but instrumental music crosses all boundaries.

Except the species boundary.

Great Post.

When I was young, I delivered newspapers in the morning. I made $5.25 a week doing this. One week, I decide to by my first album: Made in Japan. The album cost me a week's pay and I remember not being too happy about that as I walked home. When I arrived at my home, I put the needle on the record... and the rest has been a wonderful ride.

Cheers!

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    ... instrumental music crosses all boundaries.

Except the species boundary.
    I wonder? Clearly animals would have logistical problems trying to make and play instruments, but who's to say they can't enjoy some of the music we enjoy? From time to time one hears anecdotes of how the family cat seems to love listening to Brahms or some other composer when the human owner puts the music on.

Also, it's probably impossible to verify, but perhaps certain creatures, especially birds, when they make their vocal sounds together and in more or less coordinated fashion, could be doing so for the sake of it, like people singing, rather than it being specifically to communicate something.

Here's a link to a documentary about the musical brain:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v206793934...+Musical+Brain
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Nice positive thread!

Music has been the center of my life since I was 10 and saw The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. My dad was a professional symphony orchestra musician and my mom was a hobby pianist, so there was always music around the house and I always liked it, but I fell in love with it when The Beatles came around. At about the same moment that I fell in love with music, I knew I wanted to be an active participant... and I still am, 50 years later. It's what I've done for a living my whole adult life (except for 2 miserable years in Los Angeles, when I became a full time telephone solicitor) and it's always been my biggest hobby as well. The "hobby" part (playing and listening to music that I want to play and listen to) is obviously what brings me the most joy, but even when I'm playing music that I'm not particularly fond of to pay the bills, I feel damn lucky to be working with my guitar in my hands... and getting paid for it!

Music is constantly playing in my brain. Every morning when I wake up, there's a tune inside my head. More often than not, I have no idea how it got there; it could be anything from a tv jingle from 20 years ago to forgotten Top 40 tune to a movement from a Brahms symphony to an Allan Holdsworth solo to a tune I wrote. I guess my mind is always on "shuffle play."

I can't imagine my life without music; it'd be completely different and I'd be somebody else entirely.

And even though some folks' tastes around here are practically the polar opposite of my own, I often think, "well at least they're a music lover; gotta give 'em that!" So here's to all of you music lovers!

“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.”

― Albert Einstein

einstein.jpg
    “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”

I hope some of you will click on that link. Fascinating documentary about the human brain as affected by music. They scanned Sting's brain at the Montreal Neurological Institute as the guinea pig. According to the documentary music does not exist until your brain interprets the vibrations emitted by the source and converts them into music...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Nicely done positive post. So many things I can't remember but so many recollections of music I do remember.

My first purchase of music was "Can't Buy a Thrill" by Steely Dan.

Partially a misnomer for me as I have been purchasing many thrills over the past 40+ years.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Partially a misnomer for me as I have been purchasing many thrills over the past 40+ years.
    TMI? Hopefully, they are mostly of the musical variety.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    TMI? Hopefully, they are mostly of the musical variety.

You get your thrills where you can Bob