Thread: Polydactyl (USA instrumental)

Polydactyl (USA instrumental)

What happened to these guys? Any studio albums?

As near as I can tell, the Progday track is their only recorded output.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Unfortunately, their only released music is on the ProgDay 2001 disc. The Laser's Edge was interested in releasing their debut, but the band broke up while recording it. I think they may have gotten the base for 4 tracks done. The track in the video, "Route 666," is one of my favorites by them.

Michael

------------------

www.michaelbennett.com
    www.progday.net

I remember they had a track on a Progday compilation promo cd which unfortunately I don't still have. If anyone has a copy or knows where I can get one send me a pm. I do have the Progday live cd from 2001 I think so I suppose it's not a big deal.

Didn't members of this band form Ozone Quartet soon after the breakup?

Quote Originally Posted by zathrus13 View Post
    Didn't members of this band form Ozone Quartet soon after the breakup?
    Other way around. Wayne Leechford (stick) and Kenny Thompson (guitar) had previously been in Ozone Quartet together, drummer Brian Donohue had previously been in Volare, and keyboardist Jim Crew was in a band called Zone Rangers, which, as I look at their CD, also included Ozone Quartet drummer Fran Dryer. Ozone briefly reformed after Polydactyl, as I recall, but I haven't heard from any of these bands in ages (Michael may be able to fill in details...).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    also included Ozone Quartet drummer Fran Dryer.
    iirc, Fran was the violinist in Ozone, right?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Hey, that was some good stuff. Too bad there was never even on album.

neil

Other way around. Wayne Leechford (stick) and Kenny Thompson (guitar) had previously been in Ozone Quartet together, drummer Brian Donohue had previously been in Volare, and keyboardist Jim Crew was in a band called Zone Rangers, which, as I look at their CD, also included Ozone Quartet drummer Fran Dryer. Ozone briefly reformed after Polydactyl, as I recall, but I haven't heard from any of these bands in ages (Michael may be able to fill in details...).
    Didn’t Donohue play with 3 different bands that weekend at ProgDay? I was a ProgDay virgin that year so it is getting a bit hazy, but that is what I seem to remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    iirc, Fran was the violinist in Ozone, right?
    No, Hollis Brown was Ozone's violinist, Francis Dyer (last name misspelled in my previous post) was their drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Didn’t Donohue play with 3 different bands that weekend at ProgDay? I was a ProgDay virgin that year so it is getting a bit hazy, but that is what I seem to remember.
    Polydactyl played PD in 2001, but Volare played in 1997. I remember Volare's keyboardist (Pat Strawser) sitting in with French TV when their keyboardist somehow didn't make it to Storybook until well into their opening set. I can't recall if Donohoe (misspelled his name in previous post, as well) played with anyone other than Volare that weekend.

Polydactyl played PD in 2001, but Volare played in 1997. I remember Volare's keyboardist (Pat Strawser) sitting in with French TV when their keyboardist somehow didn't make it to Storybook until well into their opening set. I can't recall if Donohoe (misspelled his name in previous post, as well) played with anyone other than Volare that weekend.
    It is 97 that I was thinking about and you might be right about it being Strawser I was thinking about. Man getting old sucks.....I can't remember anything anymore......

No, Hollis Brown was Ozone's violinist, Francis Dyer (last name misspelled in my previous post) was their drummer.
    Yes. Oops! Thanks!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Hey, I was there! The details are quite fuzzy... We played a rather proggy set of tunes that, if memory serves, were already written by the time I was drafted to play drums with the group. We were later (or concurrently? Sorry, I don't remember...) working up an exciting new set of tunes that was more groove-oriented, less "retro.". Things were sounding really good, but we had become an inter-state organization by that time & unfortunately it wasn't sustainable. I don't recall if we gigged with the newer set of songs or not...? Wayne did engineer some demo sessions for us that yielded some really cool (if unfinished) recordings.

It was a lot of fun to make music with players of that caliber. I know that Wayne & Jim have kept busy with interesting musical projects here in the Triangle, NC area ever since (as have I, but mine are probably much lower profile!).

-Brian D.

Glad to see some traction on this.

I remember seeing one of the earlier iterations of Ozone 4/Polydactyl back in the early 90s, opening up for Allan Holdsworth at a bar in downtown Raleigh. At the time they were called Cloud 9, but other than Wayne Leechford I'm not sure who else was in the band at that point. I used to think there was some kind of linear progression from Cloud 9 to Ozone 4 to Polydactyl but maybe it wasn't really like that at all. I do have a dub of a cassette that Cloud 9 put out back during that time, and FWICG the last Ozone 4 CD was called Cloud Nineology.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin