Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorites from SPAIN

I was looking in Gnosis this morning, only to realize that I have a few Spanish entries to fill in...

I had forgotten that to avoid Basque susceptibilities, those progfolk groups were not entered under "Spain"

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

Musica Urbana/Feliu i Joan Albert
    N.H.U.
    Hey Scissor,

is there a link between MU and F&J A ??

And what does NHU sound like ? (good grades on Gnosis)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Amarok was brilliant at whichever ProgDay it was that they played. Somewhere around here, I have a photo of me with the entire band.

Probably not what you're thinking of, but I believe the band Evolution were from Spain. Good early 70's hard rock music. If I remember correctly, they actually covered 21st Century Schizoid Man. I've played a few songs of their one album on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice.
    There is a band called Evolution that sort of fits your description on the synphonic website. Is that by any chance where you bought it? GW has it listed as psych and not hard rock but I'm pretty sure it's the same band you are thinking of.

[QUOTE=Trane;257800]
    is there a link between MU and F&J A ??
    QUOTE]

The Link is Joan Albert (Amargós)

^^

Thanks
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

BIG October Equus here. All their albums are good to great.
    I also quite like Kotebel. Their latest album "Concerto for piano and electric ensemble' is by far the best of the ones I heared.

Special mention for Angel Ontlava's (october equus guitarist) solo album Mundu Flotante. A great melodic jazzy album with ethnic influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Available from Wayside. Just ordered a copy!
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...-4978-MBS.aspx
    We aren't talking of the same this... I was on about this Benito Lerxtundi guy. ... But thanks anyway

Amazingly enough, my library system's got a shitload of them...

I f'ingluv' this venerable institution

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Hey Scissor [...] what does NHU sound like ? (good grades on Gnosis)
    Quite original approach with this band; a mixture of somewhat hard-edged spacerock and distant fusion elements - think a Spanish equivalent to Steve Hillage or early Mythos etc. Great album, but admittedly rather obscure.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Shit, you really are a prog nerd!
    Yes, I'd say as much.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^^
    quite rare, really...

On Gnosis, only Dirk rated them (not every album is entered either)

Syn-Phonic doesn't cary any albums either

But I liked what I heard, thanks (most likely, he'll soon be on ProgArchives)
    Yeah, I don't know why nobody seems to know him. He should appeal to most fans of the genre. I've made it my mission to bring him to the masses (the Basque prog-folk masses, anyway)

The place to go for all your Basque needs is of course www.elkar.com. Most Basque stuff is pretty cheap there, and when I ordered from them for the first time I got a loyalty card that gives you 10% off on everything Basque. Postage is a bit expensive, but if you order a few items together, you'll get your Basque music at a very decent price.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    The Basques are definitely my favourites when it comes to Spanish music. One name I never see mentioned is Benito Lertxundi. I recently picked up two of his albums, Zuberoa / Askatasunaren Semeei and Altabizkar / Itzaltzuko bardoari. He certainly deserves a place up there with Haizea, Errobi and the like.
    Hey thanks for these man. I really enjoyed the sonic palette on display here. I'm a sucker for uilleann pipes, so yeah. Good shat

I'm not typically one for modern "vintage" Prog as such, but I caught Herba D'Hamelí in concert in Barcelona a couple years ago & really enjoyed them. Their 2011 CD, Girafes a Sibčria, has a nice Camel vibe to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mx20 View Post
    Herba D'Hamelí
    They're good, as are Amoeba Split, Kotebel, Planeta Imaginario and October Equus. And what I heard of Filthy Habits Ensemble Plays Stravinsky was outright incredible!

Kotebel here, as well.
    I maybe prefere their incarnation with the flute and female vocalist, specially at 'Omphalos' with 'Pentacle suite' in it... I tend to think this is one of the greatest modern prog epics.

also Senogul. Their second album 'Concierto de evocation sonora' is one of the best atomspheric, 'journey' albums that I've heard. Recently I've been listening to their next album 'iii', with some more proggie, eclectic compositions. Great stuff.

Amarok are one of my faves, sadly they seem to be gone. Robert and Marta have a band called Dafnia now who sound
    more like acoustic world folk (or Amarok without any Prog or Rock)

You might want to check ot PARTHENON from Venezuela too, also a band by Robert and Marta.

Their best Album (IMHO)

I also have a weak spot for ŃU somtimes. They are rather a mix of spanish hard rock bands like Baron Rojo and Jethro Tull
    led by a guy who is very influenced by some Ian Anderson and sound like a croaky Version of Geddy Lee.

Good fun (sometimes)

Bloque might be a bit conventional but it like them

Last edited by TheH; 05-26-2014 at 04:59 PM.

And what does NHU sound like ? (good grades on Gnosis)
    They’re as close as I’ve heard any band sound like the Khan album (Space Shanty, that is). Complex tunes, lots of beefy Hammond organ, and mega-Hillage-esque guitarwork. Lyrics are in the Galician language (the band are from Santiago de Compostela, in northwestern Spain).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    They’re as close as I’ve heard any band sound like the Khan album (Space Shanty, that is). Complex tunes, lots of beefy Hammond organ, and mega-Hillage-esque guitarwork. Lyrics are in the Galician language (the band are from Santiago de Compostela, in northwestern Spain).
    Thanks to you and Scissor... I'll hunt it down (doesn't look like Syn-phonic carries it either)

Great thread. Thanks Cozy!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Spain as such:

Fusioon
    Gotic
    Crack
    Goma
    Mezquita
    Musica Urbana/Feliu i Joan Albert
    N.H.U.
    Gualberto
    Iceberg
    Atila

Basque:

Itoiz
    Magdalena
    Sakre
    Errobi
    Haizea

Portugal:

Quarteto 1111
    Tantra
    Jorge Palma
    Petrus Castrus
    Saga

Whoa...I have a lot to get caught up on...never heard of most of these bands......more exploring to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Whoa...I have a lot to get caught up on...never heard of most of these bands......more exploring to do...
    I've got all of these on CD except for the vinyl Quarteto 1111 (featuring Jose Cid on keys) and the boot of Sakre. I know a lot of the remaining titles were only reissued in highly limited quantities, but most should be available on Ebay and the likes. If I were to decide on five - 5 - complete Iberian faves, they would be as follows:

Musica Urbana - s/t
    Crack - Si Todo Hiciera
    Errobi - Ametsaren Bidea
    Tantra - Holocausto
    Petrus Castrus - Asencao e Queda

[QUOTE=TheH;258024]

I also have a weak spot for ŃU somtimes. They are rather a mix of spanish hard rock bands like Baron Rojo and Jethro Tull
    led by a guy who is very influenced by some Ian Anderson and sound like a croaky Version of Geddy Lee.

I have a weak spot for them ALL the time. Molina is a nut, and the violinist is tremendous.

Some others not mentioned:

Isthar(Nu offshoot)
    Formas
    Medina Azahara
    Cai
    Cal
    Asturcon
    Modulos
    Lisker
    Tabletom
    Enbor
    Inaki

my personal favs:

Iman Califato Independiente
    Atila
    Gotic
    Iceberg
    Lisker
    Mezquita
    Ibio
    Amarok
    Blay Tritono
    Bloque
    Cai
    Canarios
    Dificil Equilibrio
    Fusioon
    Granada
    Guadalquivir
    Musica Urbana
    N.H.U.
    Onza
    Coto En Pel
    Crack
    Omni
    Sabatés, Jordi
    Secta Sonica
    Triana
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Two more from the Basque scene:
    Itziar

Izukaitz

No one mentioned Carmen "Fandangos in Space"?

Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 05-27-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.