Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonham/Palmer single foot triplets

Just listened to Glass Harp 1971 Pacific High Recorders show and John Sferra's drum solo during Can You See Me has some nice pedal work--I assume it's with one pedal, but I'm still new to the band.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    While not terribly easy, that lick isn't terribly difficult either, at least the way it sounds to my ears. I've never seen Nicko play it so maybe I'm missing something. One of those stories I've never quite understood. I'm not hearing anything complicated with the bass drum in that lick, let alone a need for double bass.
    The story I remember hearing about the Where Eagles Dare intro fill is quite different. Actually, I already googled it:

"Steve mentioned to Nicko that they needed some kind of drum intro. Nicko was still kind of nervous, being the new kid on the block and all, but he stayed in working almost all day on a drum intro for the song. At the end of the day, he had a little 6–7-second thing that entailed hitting basically every piece of his kit, going from small tom to big tom, like a kind of ending to a song – and then jumped into the chorus. The next day, Nicko played it for Steve and Steve went "no... no... no... nothing like that... just something simple like rat-tat-tat-tat... rat-tat-tat-tat (you get the idea)". Steve tried to play something on Nicko's kit, but he's about as good as that as his grandmother would be... Nicko said "oh... you mean like this?" and played it. "That's it!" replied Steve. And "it" became this brilliant technical piece we all know."

Eventually, McBrain budged from his principles when Iron Maiden was recording Dance of Death and used a double pedal on Face in the Sand... although I think he also admitted later that his double bass technique sucked so bad that they had to quantize all the left foot kicks to get them on time.

By the way, John Weathers hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet, but I was quite impressed by his tight bass drum triplet work on So Sincere when I was listening to The Power and the Glory earlier this week.

That story makes a little more sense. I find it funny that the worlds biggest metal band has a drummer that can't play double bass. The fact they don't need him too is a testament to how good he is. I have a hard time imagining what Maiden would sound like with double bass to be honest.

Carl Palmer's drum solo from the Bergen Performing Arts Center in Englewood, NJ.

Tony Ortiz - Official Archivist at Emerson Lake & Palmer
    https://www.facebook.com/tony.ortiz.94064

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    The story I remember hearing about the Where Eagles Dare intro fill is quite different. Actually, I already googled it:

"Steve mentioned to Nicko that they needed some kind of drum intro. Nicko was still kind of nervous, being the new kid on the block and all, but he stayed in working almost all day on a drum intro for the song. At the end of the day, he had a little 6–7-second thing that entailed hitting basically every piece of his kit, going from small tom to big tom, like a kind of ending to a song – and then jumped into the chorus. The next day, Nicko played it for Steve and Steve went "no... no... no... nothing like that... just something simple like rat-tat-tat-tat... rat-tat-tat-tat (you get the idea)". Steve tried to play something on Nicko's kit, but he's about as good as that as his grandmother would be... Nicko said "oh... you mean like this?" and played it. "That's it!" replied Steve. And "it" became this brilliant technical piece we all know."
    Where did you get that story? That's most definitely the story that's told on the History Of Iron Maiden Vol. I: The Early Years DVD. There the story told is the one I mentioned earlier in the thread, and it's 'Arry, Nicko, and I think one or two of their other associates telling the story.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    That story makes a little more sense. I find it funny that the worlds biggest metal band has a drummer that can't play double bass.
    Well, I imagine if he started with the double bass drum when he was 18 or whatever, he'd be excellent at it. The reason he did it so badly on Dance Of Death probably stems from the fact that he'd spent the preceding 25 years or whatever it had been not using the double. It's probably not very easy to just suddenly pick up something like that late in one's playing career.

He apparently also thought double bass drums were a gimmick and a crutch and therefore refused to use such a setup.

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    Also impressive about Palmer's foot is the ferocity with which he plays that fill in The Endless Enigma - not the fastest, but just try hitting with that power and consistency for ten strokes at that tempo and you'll see....
    You've mentioned this in at least one other thread. Could you please point to exactly where in the song that drum peddle fill occurs(ie 3 minute and 27 mark etc)? I think I know but not sure.