Thread: The real (and somewhat proggier) original Asia

The real (and somewhat proggier) original Asia

Based on search attempts, this old but possibly interesting story doesn't appear to be part of the PE lore yet. Apologies if it's been posted before...

http://www.barkingdogrecords.com/ASIA.info.html

Highlight: "Carl Palmer, of EMERSON, LAKE, & PALMER, is going to call me and ask me to write more commercially?!"

Here's Asia's 1980 album Armed to the Teeth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGlByVcP9pw

Thanks, great story!

"Then, curiously, he offered a much smaller settlement, saying that his organization was not in the business of crushing other smaller bands--especially good ones."

Yeah, right.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Great read, thanks

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I remember someone posted Armed to the Teeth on Usenet back in the 90s and it was very good, but there were some problems with the files posted. Would love to get a good, complete copy of this.

So.... the very first release on The Wild Places label was a 2 for 1 reissue CD from this fine Rapid City, South Dakota hard/progressive band. Michael Piper was the man behind the label and sadly passed way at a relatively young age. His sister, who inherited his stock, has since teamed up with legendary record dealer Paul Major, and this CD is still available at a VERY cheap price. I urge every one here - if you at all have any interest in maintaining a CD collection - to pick this up before it goes completely OOP and therefore completely unavailable. Paul sells new copies of these consistently on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASIA-NOT-THE...item258ef9feaf

That is a great story. It has great villains (*Brian Lane* -- boo! hiss!!!) and heroes (*Michael Piper* (RIP) -- huzzah!!!)
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Why doesn't this Asia get together John Payne's Asia. One big super non official Asia. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of that.

On a similar note there was an English early heavy rock band called Iron Maiden not related to the more famous Iron Maiden. There was also a US band from the late sixties called Genesis. Lots of similar stories.

Owner of a Horse and Cart
    Hmmm..... This might be relevant:

https://www.facebook.com/ASIA.featur...0606265030211/

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Why doesn't this Asia get together John Payne's Asia. One big super non official Asia. I wonder if anyone has ever thought of that.

Geez, why am I not surprised to find out Brian Lane ripped somebody off? I recall in one of the Yes books he was crying about how the band stabbed him in the back because they waited until he was in the hospital to fire him as their manager. Turns out he was just as much of a back stabber.

What does he do these days? Does he still manage Steve Howe?

Anything I've read about Brian Lane would indicate that he's a weasel. No shortage of people like that in the biz...

Really interesting story. I've been a musician for over 35 years, and these kinds of stories are always intriguing to me. Sometimes it's just not meant to be. Reminds me of the band FM, who were plagued by record companies going belly up, lost master tapes, a UK band with the same name, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Didn't he pass on not long ago?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Somewhat related-I heard one of the issues with XYZ in 1981 was which of the two "outlaws" would manage the band (Brian Lane or Peter Grant).

Michael Piper also turned me on to this band. Guy knew his shit. He is missed.

On a similar note there was an English early heavy rock band called Iron Maiden not related to the more famous Iron Maiden. There was also a US band from the late sixties called Genesis. Lots of similar stories.
    Like Circus Maximus. From 1960s America:

Or 2000s Norway (my personal preference):
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Geez, why am I not surprised to find out Brian Lane ripped somebody off? I recall in one of the Yes books he was crying about how the band stabbed him in the back because they waited until he was in the hospital to fire him as their manager. Turns out he was just as much of a back stabber.

Lane does not manage Howe these days. Yes have all long fallen out with Lane. Last I knew, Lane was managing A-ha.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by erik_1099 View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right ???

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Lane does not manage Howe these days. Yes have all long fallen out with Lane. Last I knew, Lane was managing A-ha.

Henry
    Lane always liked bands with "short names".

This story was posted on PE a few years ago on the old PE. Very interesting, fascinating story. I'm listening to a bit of Armed To The Teeth now. It's good stuff, but by 1980 it really sounds dated. The guitarist is fantastic. The whole vibe of the band is kind of like Kansas, with that prog/rock, mid-American, Indian nations motif. I think they were about 5-7 years too late. They could've been as big as Kansas possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    Lane always liked bands with "short names".
    "We service the short of sight, as well as the hard of hearing" (Lane, on the Making Of GTR documentary, when explaining his "short names" fetish...because you can put the band's name in big letters on posters, t-shirts, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Yes have all long fallen out with Lane. Last I knew, Lane was managing A-ha.

Henry
    We used to do a whole "Yes, A-Ha" thing, a la "Who's on First" when I was in high school.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    "We service the short of sight, as well as the hard of hearing" (Lane, on the Making Of GTR documentary, when explaining his "short names" fetish...because you can put the band's name in big letters on posters, t-shirts, etc.)
    Perhaps that's one reason why The Rock 'n' Roll Dubble Bubble Trading Card Co. Of Philadelphia 1941 never really made it big. Not exactly short and snappy is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    This story was posted on PE a few years ago on the old PE. Very interesting, fascinating story. I'm listening to a bit of Armed To The Teeth now. It's good stuff, but by 1980 it really sounds dated. The guitarist is fantastic. The whole vibe of the band is kind of like Kansas, with that prog/rock, mid-American, Indian nations motif. I think they were about 5-7 years too late. They could've been as big as Kansas possibly.
    Totally agree. Sorry to say, they wouldn't have had a snowball's chance in hell finding success with that sound in 1980.