Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: echolyn News

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    They should start the 'tour', at Progday!

neil
    Yes!!

Well this thread certainly exploded...i haven't been on a bit and figured it'd die in the ass...looking forward to it myself...wonder if they'll up the ante or what...

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    They should start the 'tour', at Progday!

neil
    ^^Definitely this. It would make so much sense to have them at the 20th anniversary show.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well they are playing NJ Proghouse Homecoming so I'm planning to see them there
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Echolyn will be opening their tour at the NJ Proghouse Homecoming weekend (October 11th and 12th), as the Saturday headliner. Tickets for the weekend are on sale now at the Proghouse site.

Awesome news! Canadian dates too, which means I could be heading to Montreal for a couple of days in the fall...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Echolyn will be opening their tour at the NJ Proghouse Homecoming weekend (October 11th and 12th), as the Saturday headliner. Tickets for the weekend are on sale now at the Proghouse site.
    Guess I should buy my tickets soon. Just checked, no Rutgers football game that day, no other concerts. Last year I missed the Saturday portion because of Steve Hackett.

some more news about the new album:

As an update for the new album – we have nine new songs that will go on the album, plus four others to be released in some other form. We all want to release this album on vinyl as well as CD and high-res files (this time 96kHz 24 bit). I’m not sure about vinyl because the total time is around 60min, which is more than a single album can handle. I also don’t feel that these songs comprise a double album (like our last one). The pacing feels different to me. Any Ideas?

The new tunes are different in that that’s what keeps us coming back to the well… though a different well… in a different place… with different stuff in the well ;-)

They have an interesting vibe to them because they are odd guitar keys (Ab, Eb, Bb, etc). I like it; it makes me play differently. I’m not tuning down either. My OCD won’t allow it ;-) My left hand hates me but I still like it. It’s weird how these keys give off a different vibe. There are lots of great melodies to sink your teeth into, so don’t be scared. Very beautiful stuff, played fast, then slow, then fast again. Paul hates me because he feels like he signed up for a membership at a gym.
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JAMOOL View Post
    some more news about the new album:
    Very cool!

Thanks!

I was underwhelmed by the last album (although Islands is in my top five Echolyn tunes) but I will still give them a chance.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Loved the last album (possibly my favorite yet, though The End Is Beautiful might just top it). Can't wait for this new one.

This is probably also a good place to mention that they have canceled their live performances for this fall, sadly. So they won't be doing the proghouse gig, or the two Canadian shows

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I was underwhelmed by the last album (although Islands is in my top five Echolyn tunes) but I will still give them a chance.
    Island is an incredible song - but I loved the entire album. Particular highlights (Some Memorial, When Sunday Spills, (Speaking in) Lampblack, Headright, Locust to Bethlehem, Past Gravity) Well that is just about all the rest of them isn't it! Lampblack in particular is extremely moving and I first heard it when losing someone very close to me due to sickness; that song spoke to me deeply. When Sunday Spills is another great one, and the end of Some Memorial (the part where it goes "Take a hand full of seeds, and a mouthful of dirt, lie down and become a garden. Leave nothing as it was!) powerful stuff

Don't forget The Cardinal and I, an excellent closer with a more upbeat feel and crunch, than most of what precedes it. Great lyrics and riffs, too.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    This is probably also a good place to mention that they have canceled their live performances for this fall, sadly. So they won't be doing the proghouse gig, or the two Canadian shows

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-upcoming-gigs
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    the end of Some Memorial (the part where it goes "Take a hand full of seeds, and a mouthful of dirt, lie down and become a garden. Leave nothing as it was!) powerful stuff
    My second favorite part of the album after Islands!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    My second favorite part of the album after Islands!
    Mine too.

Particularly the repeated "Leave nothing as it was" line. Those vocal harmonies really bring it up to a whole other level.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They had posted a couple of songs on their site that were not from any album - I think before the last album came out. Anyone know if those are still available for download?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They had posted a couple of songs on their site that were not from any album - I think before the last album came out. Anyone know if those are still available for download?
    Yes, they're all still available from Bandcamp.

http://echolyn.bandcamp.com/music

From what I can see, non-album band tracks are:

This is How We Left It
    Moments With No Sound
    15 Days (remixed, previously released on After the Storm, a Hurricane Katrina benefit compilation)
    Accumulated Blur
    Another Stone
    Crows Fly By

Brett also has a bunch of previously unreleased solo material there.

Apparently, there will be several non-album tracks from the current sessions as well.

I suspect that there will eventually be an "odds and ends" release that combines all of these.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^^ Thanks! All downloaded!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

This is How We Left It
    Moments With No Sound
    15 Days (remixed, previously released on After the Storm, a Hurricane Katrina benefit compilation)
    Accumulated Blur
    Another Stone
    Crows Fly By

Moments With No Sound is a beautiful, strange track. So Echolyn.

Have not heard This Is How We Left It. In fact, I didn't even see it the last time I checked, when I bought the other four. Was that from the same sessions?

Btw, Brett's version of She's Leaving Home is just about as gorgeous as music gets, imo.

http://echolyn.bandcamp.com/track/br...nnon-mccartney

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Mine too.

Particularly the repeated "Leave nothing as it was" line. Those vocal harmonies really bring it up to a whole other level.
    Oh man, it's great to know somebody hears this the way I do. That moment always blows me away. It's so earned after that dirge-y buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

This is How We Left It
    Moments With No Sound
    Accumulated Blur
    Another Stone
    Crows Fly By

I put these tracks plus their sweet version of Radiohead's "Lucky" together as a burned CD in my collection under the title "Crows Fly By" tracks in alphabetical order except for "15 days" to finish up... works real well... :-)

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "