Page 207 of 316 FirstFirst ... 107157197203204205206207208209210211217257307 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Florence Foster Jenkins was a very good movie. I, too, thought it could easily have been a Woody Allen film. Streep, Grant and Helberg were excellent. It was nice to see Helberg play a character completely unlike the one he plays on Big Bang Theory, and also to see him removed from that show's annoying laugh track. He did well.

Interesting that Streep's last lead role was as a pop-rock singer in Ricki And The Flash, and in Florence Foster Jenkins she plays someone who can't sing at all. Not an easy transition. Amazing actress.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I saw Helberg on Colbert when the movie was coming out. He said he had to work for three or four months to bring his piano skills up to a point where he thought he could pass as a classical pianist. Apparently his background is in jazz, not classical.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Florence Foster Jenkins was a very good movie. I, too, thought it could easily have been a Woody Allen film. Streep, Grant and Helberg were excellent. It was nice to see Helberg play a character completely unlike the one he plays on Big Bang Theory, and also to see him removed from that show's annoying laugh track. He did well.

Interesting that Streep's last lead role was as a pop-rock singer in Ricki And The Flash, and in Florence Foster Jenkins she plays someone who can't sing at all. Not an easy transition. Amazing actress.
    Yeah, I have to disagree with you know who on Streep's acting ability! By pure chance this weekend I watched Postcards from the Edge, Florence Foster Jenkins, and also Music of the Heart (where Streep plays a woman teaching violin in an East Harlem school). I just stumbled upon Postcards and Music... and my wife suggested Jenkins. Anyway, I thought Streep was excellent in all three. I also love her portrayal of Julia Child in Julie & Julia. She's great in pretty much everything she does. She's one of the LEAST-overrated actors I can think of!

I read an interview with Emily Blunt about the first reading for The Devil Wears Prada and everyone kind of assumed that Streep would unleash some sort of harridan with a New Yawk accent. So when she read her first lines in that quiet yet utterly chilling voice she used for that part the other actors just fell apart. It takes a special kind of craft to bring something new to every role.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo
    It takes a special kind of craft to bring something new to every role.
    And he-whose-name-may-not-be-spoken hasn't shifted gears once.

Even when I go into a Streep movie thinking there is no way the subject matter could interest me, her performance (as well as those around her she forces to step up their game) has changed my mind. For example, I have zero interest in fashion, but The Devil Wears Prada was an excellent movie.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I cannot think of any other woman at any time in film history who could convincingly play both Margaret Thatcher and her character in the forgettable Ricki & The Flash. Two things that made Ricki enjoyable for me was watching Streep sing & perform in a band with her movie love interest Rick Springfield & other real musicians.....and her hair!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Maryl's early acting career was impressive too - Deer Hunter, The French Lieutenant's Woman, Sophie's Choice, Kramer vs Kramer - all challenging roles for a young actress but she was stellar. Here entire career has been stellar. Quite striking as a young actress too.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 01-09-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Change the p in Deep to an r, Greg.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Done.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Watched Hell or High Water last night. Good, solidly entertaining movie with some subtle social commentary that is, at various times, humorous. See it!
    Ben Foster is fast becoming a big favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    8 out of nine rattlesnakes for a waitress.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I cannot think of any other woman at any time in film history who could convincingly play both Margaret Thatcher and her character in the forgettable Ricki & The Flash. Two things that made Ricki enjoyable for me was watching Streep sing & perform in a band with her movie love interest Rick Springfield & other real musicians.....and her hair!
    Oh, forgot she played Thatcher!

Finally got to see Suicide Squad, and Don't Breathe. Was not disappointed by either. Suicide Squad was a lot of fun,
    and Don't Breathe was as suspenseful as I heard it was. Two popular movies that lived up to their hype in my eyes!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

We watched Magic Mike XXL because well, it was free. You know the first one had an actual plot and some humor to it. This one was one hour and a change I'll never get back.

"Hidden Figures" is the (mostly) true story of a bunch of human calculators who worked for NASA before the first IBM computer was purchased (and learned to program it afterward). Being mostly African-American, they were kept out-of-the-limelight, and endured second-class facilities and treatment while being relied upon for some of the most critical calculations in putting a man in orbit and bringing him home safely.

It was inspiring and heartwarming and thrilling and very well done. I think the actual math involved was considerably underplayed (I mean, even I could almost follow it!) but the personalities were fascinating and, in the end, redeeming.

I have heard no good things about Suicide Squad; all the reviews seem negative. Still going to watch it soon. Thanks for the positive vibe, Lou.

Have yet to hear anything at all about Don't Breathe, but I dig a good suspenseful thriller. Still have to see Lights Out, first. Maybe tonight.

Looking forward to Hidden Figures.

And, from The Onion:

Court Rules Meryl Streep Unable To Be Tried By Jury As She Has No Peers

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    and Don't Breathe was as suspenseful as I heard it was.
    I've had this sitting in my BluRay tray for about two weeks now I keep getting caught up in TV shows!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I've had this sitting in my BluRay tray for about two weeks now I keep getting caught up in TV shows!
    FOCUS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    FOCUS!!!!!
    Yeah I know, my attention sp...oooh look! Shiney red ball!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Yeah I know, my attention sp...oooh look! Shiney red ball!

Squirrel.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Just finished The Invitation on Netflix. A harmless (if a touch uncomfortable) dinner gathering? Or a premeditated mass-murder/suicide party? Very well done indie. Logan Marshall-Green (Quarry) is excellent in this.

8 out of 10 red lanterns.
    Last edited by Paulie; 01-14-2017 at 10:59 AM.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I just watched Manchester By The Sea. If Casey Affleck doesn't duplicate his Golden Globe for best actor (unlike the globes, he has to compete with Gosling for an Oscar), that would be as bad imo as last year's caucasian-fest. This was one of those performances where you really do forget that someone's an actor. Michelle Williams too.

Just watched Hoosiers, which I'd never seen. Good movie, but one of the worst musical scores I've heard! Totally inappropriate synth drum-led stuff. Very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Just finished The Invitation on Netflix. A harmless (if a touch uncomfortable) dinner gathering? Or a premeditated mass-murder/suicide party? Very well done indie. Logan Marshall-Green (Quarry) is excellent in this.

8 out of 10 red lanterns.
    I saw that in the theater when it came out. At the end it was one of those films I could not really tell if I liked it or not. I may have to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I just watched Manchester By The Sea. If Casey Affleck doesn't duplicate his Golden Globe for best actor (unlike the globes, he has to compete with Gosling for an Oscar), that would be as bad imo as last year's caucasian-fest. This was one of those performances where you really do forget that someone's an actor. Michelle Williams too.
    I see it as a three-way race between Affleck, Gosling and Denzel. I was actually surprised Casey won over Denzel at the Globes. I am rooting for Gosling, and a La La sweep, since I think it was the best movie in a long time, but if any of the three win, I will be happy. And even Dev Patel deserves some love for his performance in Lion (and I think the little kid who played his character as a child should at least get nominated for Best Supporting Actor).
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap