Page 316 of 316 FirstFirst ... 216266306312313314315316
Results 7,876 to 7,893 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by DocProgger View Post
    The killer admitted the movie caused him to act out the plot. Gratuitous violent movies which depict random inhumane killing and murder for the pure joy of it, and military gun shooter video games both glamorize violence and desensitize persons to violence. That's a fact.
    No, it's really not. It's up for debate.

And the killer blaming a film carries no weight. Son of Sam blamed his dog.

As I stated before they can cause persons with an already fragile mental state or other ongoing issues, to go from fantasizing about violence to taking the next step in ACTING upon those violent tendencies. That clearly is what occurred in the Purge mass murder case. You can continue to be naive and bury your head in the sand to reality, but as someone who has worked in the criminal justice system on both sides with quite a bit of experience in the area, all I can say is to deny any causation is quite a foolish position to take.
    Okay. So, they have a fragile mental state. That doesn't sound like the movie's fault.

I couldn't care less about your career - Your posts on this are silly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No, it's really not. It's up for debate.

And the killer blaming a film carries no weight. Son of Sam blamed his dog.

Okay. So, they have a fragile mental state. That doesn't sound like the movie's fault.

I couldn't care less about your career - Your posts on this are silly.
    You obviously didn't listen to or understand a word I said. And silly is dismissing out of hand the knowledge and experience of others who might just happen to know more than you. But nice trolling, I'm done with this subject.

Blaming an individual movie isn't necessarily fair. But I think in light of the fact that there are a ton of movies and video games that paint violence, maiming, and/or torture as something to be entertained by, to continue believing it has no effect on the mental outlook of people over time is just ignorance. Or perhaps denial.

Also, while it's true that Mark David Chapman had become fixed on Todd Rundgren, Todd never wrote songs about going out and shooting people. That's a distinction worth mentioning.

Edit: And I want to clarify, I'm not necessarily speaking about The Purge movies -- I've never seen any of them, so I really can't comment as to what's in them. I'm just thinking about current state of movies in general really.
    Last edited by aith01; 07-10-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    there are a ton of movies and video games that paint violence, maiming, and/or torture as something to be entertained by
    That's the "tenor of the times" as I pointed out earlier. For some reason (?) apocalyptic entertainment is hot right now, and has been for a couple decades.

Not sure why.

As to whether it has an effect on society.... probably not, for normal people. But it seems like there are more and more nutjobs who aren't "normal people."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    As to whether it has an effect on society.... probably not, for normal people. But it seems like there are more and more nutjobs who aren't "normal people."
    And entertainment media shouldn't be blamed for that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As are movies that are based on shooting up a lot of people. I choose not to patronize them.

However I wouldn't go so far as to call for their censorship.
    Pretty much my thought. There's some subject matter I either find distasteful or crap film making. If Im not interested , I don't watch. Somebody else wants to watch , go for it. As long as its legal. A lot of todays "horror " films are just a recycling of ideas totally over used by film makers. For example , I usually avoid zombie movies. But Im a fan of Night Of The Living Dead and a couple of the sequals. More modern zombie flicks I liked would include Zombieland. But alot of the zombie craze is crap. Substitute original ideas with more blood and zombies. Its more a effects event than a functioning movie. I totally miss the boat with the Torture sub genre. I cant figure out what is remotely enjoyable there. Its been pointed out these plenty of real world nastiness going on. I guess , like with anything distasteful , it cant be dealt with 2 ways , look away , or laugh at it . Maybe that's the attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    ironically, in view of this, I just saw Avengers Infinity War where the villain's M.O. is to "correct" overpopulation by murdering half of the universe's population!

but in reality, as someone who has traveled and seen over half of the populated Earth and a huge chunk of the unpopulated areas, you would be absolutely stunned. The vast unused land in the USA, Canada, Europe and China lead me to believe that the Earth can sustain at least 5 times its current population. The problem isn't in the *amount* of people. The problem all boils down to greed.
    Its not the physical space needed , its the byproduct of human activity. We must feed , heat , dispose of waste , move from place to place , all of which has an environmental price. 5x as many of us? By then we will have drowned in our own s**t.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    The vast unused land in the USA, Canada, Europe and China lead me to believe that the Earth can sustain at least 5 times its current population. The problem isn't in the *amount* of people. The problem all boils down to greed.
    And the landfill that comes with it.

How many school shooters first practiced with first-person-shooter video games?
    How many of us ran around using sticks as guns and playing army when we were kids?

Quite frankly, none of these movies do anything for me. But, I certainly don't want another Hays Code. We have much bigger problems than movies and entertainment. Much, much bigger problems that most would argue are much, much greater contributors to the desensitization of our society.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    You obviously didn't listen to or understand a word I said. And silly is dismissing out of hand the knowledge and experience of others who might just happen to know more than you. But nice trolling, I'm done with this subject.

God I wish you would all just drop it before you kill another thread with all the pointless bickering.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Robert, when someone is brainwashed and does something horrific, is the one who brainwashed him without guilt?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I don't think half of the movies they list are horror movies.
    "Horror" is in the eye - or mind - of the beholder, isn't it? I mean, I don't think anyone would consider the TV movie Sybil horror, would they? But it gave me nightmares and would make my top ten if TV movies could be included.

Good list, btw.

When I was looking over the list on that website, I realized most of those movies had little to no impact on me. The Exorcist is a prime example. I think it's a great horror movie but had no impact on me when I first saw it. To be fair, that wasn't the movie's fault, exactly. My friends and I saw it at the drive-in with 200 other teenagers who were all drinking beer and smoking weed, so there was a hell of a party atmosphere. lol But even to this day, Linda Blair's head doing a 360 is so obviously fake it reminds me it's just a movie and kills the atmosphere.

Another example would be Audition, a really good movie imo, which didn't faze me. Psycho's the same way. Hell, I think it's one of the greatest movies ever made, but as a horror movie it had no impact on me whatsoever, even when I saw it as a kid. The same goes for all the great Universal horror movies.

Anyway, the ones that did actually have an impact on me, in some way (in chronological order):

The Haunting
    Jaws
    The Omen
    Dawn of the Dead
    Alien
    The Shining
    An American Werewolf in London (the original)
    Ringu
    The Others
    The Witch

I could have included The Silence of the Lambs or Se7en, if I thought they were actually horror. Or The Night Stalker or Sybil if they weren't TV movies.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    God I wish you would all just drop it before you kill another thread with all the pointless bickering.
    I'm trying to get things back on track. lol
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    And entertainment media shouldn't be blamed for that.
    so, if one decides to become a junkie, it's not the pusher's fault eh?
    long live pushers... is that it?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm done with this subject.
    ^^^

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thanks, no for everyone else
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

As you can tell by my post count, I'm mostly a lurker, but I've been reading and enjoying this thread for months. But apparently everything on the internet has to eventually turn to shit. Jesus Christ.

Fellow PE members and film enthusiasts, I am closing this thread after receiving complaints about the content. There aren't many new people here, so I'll spare you the lecture or explanation as to why.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    McLaren. A documentary of the life of Bruce McLaren, the Kiwi Formula 1 and Can-Am driver and also chassis manufacturer for F1, Can-Am, and Indy.
    Pretty good movie but you may have to be a racing enthusiast to fully appreciate it. 77% (C), 88% (A).

Williams. A documentary of Frank Williams, his family, and the Formula 1 team he started in the late '60s.
    This one is excellent! Altho, again, it may help if you're a racing fan. Or not. Very touching ending. 93% (C), 94% (A).
    Okay!

(I've seen the McLaren movie. It was interesting and educational, but not that entertaining)

Will look up the Williams movie.
    Regards,

Duncan