Page 93 of 316 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143193 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,325 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You mean, like, the most popular bestest movie ever???
    - my 6 and 8 year-old nieces.
    As soon as the first song started I had to leave the room, I could feel all the hairs on the back of my neck raising in unison & my skin starting to crawl. I think I'm allergic to Disney Musicals.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

You do realize Frozen wasn't created for the 35-60 year old, male, prog fan demographic, right?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    That doesn't stop my wife thinking it's a great 'family' movie for me to sit through.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    I'll just leave this here
    Thanks for the link, but that article makes me want to stab things. It's the same bullshit I've been reading about Crash for years: OMG! A movie that depicts white people as the focus in a story about racism, that's outrageous!!! Well, except for the fact that's been a trope in movies since at least Birth of a Nation, d'oh!

I especially roll my eyes at the comparisons to Brokeback Mountain, which, despite being an Avowed Homosexual (tm) I hated with all the fire of all the suns in the Large Magellanic Cloud. Is Crash, like, THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE LIKE FROZEN IS?!?!?! No, of course not, it has some pretty major problems in fact, but really, the Oscars thing happened 8 years before that article was "written", just let it go.

If you're a fan of submarine movies like I am, I highly recommend Black Sea, which I saw yesterday. Jude Law, despite what apparently dreary accent-obsessed Brits* think is a crap Scottish accent, is excellent, the rest of the cast is good and it's a little different take on the sub movie, which usually focuses on military activity. It's really well filmed, the CGI is very good for such a small budget and it's got a nice twist ending. I'd recommend it as a rental when it appears in that format.

* I get the obsession, but still
    ...or you could love

I finally watched "Silver Linings Playbook" (I'm so behind the times! "Wolf Of Wall Street" only last week)...

Great performances, really enjoyed the story. Listed as a "Comedy/Drama/Romance", I would personally just call it a "Drama", but anyway, a fine film.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron
    Listed as a "Comedy/Drama/Romance", I would personally just call it a "Drama", but anyway, a fine film.
    I seldom pay attention to such official labels, as they never seem to enhance my enjoyment (or lack thereof) of a movie. Especially irrelevant are unofficial descriptions in the blurbs on the DVD cover. I can't count the number of "Sidesplittingly funny!" films I have seen that failed to elicit a single chuckle. So many, in fact, that when we see a dud comedy, my wife or I will remark that it must be "sidesplittingly funny." No further discussion is necessary.

I agree with you, though. I would call Silver Linings Playbook a drama, if I had to label it. Good flick.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I like labels, actually. If I see a movie labelled "Action-Adventure", for example, I avoid it like the Ebola virus. On the other hand, "Film Noir" is like movie heroin to me. Same with music, if I see a band labelled "reggae" I run as fast as I can in the opposite direction, "jangly guitars" is like musical catnip.

I've been recording a ton of stuff off of cable, some recent highlights:

Alan Ladd as a good guy for once in Whispering Smith (1948). Terrific script, acting and direction, Robert Preston is especially good as a good guy done in by greed.

A very young William Holden (he was 23) and Glenn Ford (he was 25) star in Texas as two drifters who end up in....wait for it....Texas and get in to all kinds of shenanigans including the almost obligatory Woman Who Comes Between Them!!!! Holden is amazing, he can be utterly charming one minute and have no qualms about putting a bullet in someone next.

TCM was on a state kick, I really liked Arizona with Holden and Jean Arthur, a highly fictionalized account of the birth of the state of Arizon. My parents live in the hills outside of Tucson, I recognized some of the mountains there. Good movie, though they don't show the final shootout between Holden's good guy and The Bad Guy Who Wears A Black Hat, it's only heard. Odd.

It's long, it's slow, nothing happens really but I still loved Yasujirō Ozu's Tokyo Story (1953). An elderly couple come to Tokyo to visit their five children, who treat them like nuisances. Beautifully filmed and acted, Chishū Ryū and Chieko Higashiyama as the parents are heartbreaking, damn you children, DAMN. YOU.

Wait, there's been movies made since the 50's? Who knew?
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    Is Crash, like, THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE LIKE FROZEN IS?!?!?! No, of course not, it has some pretty major problems in fact, but really, the Oscars thing happened 8 years before that article was "written", just let it go.
    maybe I'm in the minority here but I thought Crash was a really good movie. I saw it long before the Oscar hype started and didn't really know too much about it. it was one of those grab and dash movie nights. it probably could have been a lot better with less characters to follow. one of the best scenes was at the car accident between Matt Dillon and Thandie Newton. for the longest time I thought Christine (Thandie) was played by Zoe Saldana. I probably could have found a better comparison.

Attachment 4893 Attachment 4894

Michael Peña had a good part. he's a really good actor. enjoyed his role in Fury lately but I think End Of Watch was his best. speaking of his co star in that, I watched Nightcrawler. at first, I thought Jake was playing the guy a little too geeky but he was definitely creepy. just seemed a little strange.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

I'm looking forward to seeing Nightcrawler, but it isn't on DVD yet. I liked Gyllenhaal's 2013 movie Prisoners. Last night we watched Enemy, a weird movie in which Gyllenhaal plays two characters who are doppelgangers. A lot is left to the viewer's interpretation, but it is an excellent movie that will have you thinking about it long after it is over.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Thanks for the link, but that article makes me want to stab things. It's the same bullshit I've been reading about Crash for years: OMG! A movie that depicts white people as the focus in a story about racism, that's outrageous!!! Well, except for the fact that's been a trope in movies since at least Birth of a Nation, d'oh!

I especially roll my eyes at the comparisons to Brokeback Mountain, which, despite being an Avowed Homosexual (tm) I hated with all the fire of all the suns in the Large Magellanic Cloud. Is Crash, like, THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE LIKE FROZEN IS?!?!?! No, of course not, it has some pretty major problems in fact, but really, the Oscars thing happened 8 years before that article was "written", just let it go.

If you're a fan of submarine movies like I am, I highly recommend Black Sea, which I saw yesterday. Jude Law, despite what apparently dreary accent-obsessed Brits* think is a crap Scottish accent, is excellent, the rest of the cast is good and it's a little different take on the sub movie, which usually focuses on military activity. It's really well filmed, the CGI is very good for such a small budget and it's got a nice twist ending. I'd recommend it as a rental when it appears in that format.

* I get the obsession, but still
    Being an exsubmariner, I too enjoy most of them. Thanks for the heads up.

"Big Hero 6" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245084/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Disney should get another Oscar winner in this great animated flick. Lots of excitement, visual wows abound, sympathetic characters, wonderful world of entertainment.
    No singing in this one puts it over the top for me, although I did enjoy "Frozen".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

It's long, it's slow, nothing happens really but I still loved Yasujirō Ozu's Tokyo Story (1953). An elderly couple come to Tokyo to visit their five children, who treat them like nuisances. Beautifully filmed and acted, Chishū Ryū and Chieko Higashiyama as the parents are heartbreaking, damn you children, DAMN. YOU.

Wait, there's been movies made since the 50's? Who knew?
    First Ozu film I saw was Late Spring (1949) that tells the story of a widowed father who feels compelled to marry off his beloved only daughter. Eminent Ozu players Chishu Ryu (There Was a Father) and Setsuko Hara (Late Autumn) command this poignant tale of love and loss in postwar Japan. Also, a slow moving, contemplative and heartbreaking film like Tokyo Story. Definitely not for everyone, but what is?

Stephen Kings A Good Marriage (2014)

Don't miss this one, it's on netflix streaming.

Joan Allen plays the wife of a man who turns out to be a chronic serial killer.

How she handles the situation is brilliant.

Right up there with Misery, Delores Clairborn & The Shining for my favorite Stephen King movie adaptations.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    "Big Hero 6" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245084/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Disney should get another Oscar winner in this great animated flick. Lots of excitement, visual wows abound, sympathetic characters, wonderful world of entertainment.
    No singing in this one puts it over the top for me, although I did enjoy "Frozen".
    Yeah, I watched this after the Superbowl, and though it was great and one of the better Pixar films I'd seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Yeah, I watched this after the Superbowl, and though it was great and one of the better Pixar films I'd seen in a while.
    Not trying to be pedantic, butBig Hero 6 is Disney, but not Pixar.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I watched The Boxtrolls the other day. Stop-action animation, probably not Pixar or Disney, but very well done.

Not trying to be pedantic, butBig Hero 6 is Disney, but not Pixar.
    I guess it's all the same now, eh?

Cave of Forgotten Dreams-if you like documentaries, Werner Herzog is a master. If you are interested in pre-history, you will love this. Chauvet Cave in France contains the oldest cave drawings known (32,000 years old). France won't let you visit the cave, for its protection, so if you want to see it, this is the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I guess it's all the same now, eh?
    No, it's not. Pixar is usually much better quality in animation and storytelling. Big Hero 6 is kind of an exception, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No, it's not. Pixar is usually much better quality in animation and storytelling. Big Hero 6 is kind of an exception, IMO.
    Well, I meant it's all the same company now--Disney bought Pixar and Marvel, and also has ESPN, among other things.

"Inside Llewyn Davis" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2042568/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Interesting Coen Bros. flick about a Dylan-esque folkster trying to make it in the '60s. Had some moments, had a classic Coen Bros. feel. Glad it wasn't very long.

"Citizenfour" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4044364/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Had a comp to see a screening of this insightful documentary of Ed Snowden and his informative awareness raising of the government's privacy destruction. Great stuff. Haven't seen he other nominated doc's, but this should win Best Oscar. It was that interesting to me at least. And I really had no clue what was going on when all this was going down.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Joe (2014)

Nicolas Cage is finally back in a good film !

A bleak & violent story involving southern white trash gettin n trouble.

Also starring the talented up & comer Tye Sheridan who was great in Mud from a couple years ago.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The Internet's Own Boy: The Story Of Aaron Swartz - I didn't know much about Swartz when he was alive, but I did hear about his death. America treats her best and brightest like shit. Good documentary.

Boyhood - This is the movie where director Richard Linklater filmed the same boy growing up over the course of 12 years. Ellar Coltrane does an excellent job as the boy. Linklater's daughter, Lorelei, plays his sister. Nearly three hours long, but never boring.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    The Internet's Own Boy: The Story Of Aaron Swartz - I didn't know much about Swartz when he was alive, but I did hear about his death. America treats her best and brightest like shit. Good documentary.
    No shit! They should have paid him six figures and given him a job to prevent foreigners from hacking the US. Dumb govt.