Page 8 of 316 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Just watched Guilt Trip with Seth Rogen and Barbra Striesand . Involves a road trip with Mom and self discovery etc etc. Low key, adult and enjoyable. Funny but not hilarious, there's worst ways to spend a couple of hours. 7 out of 10

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    My friend walked out on IM3. And he's pretty easy to please (he's an Adam Sandler fan if that gives you any indication)!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Finally saw Chronicle and wow, just fucking wow. Far deeper and more realistic than I thought it would be. Best SF film I've seen in a while.
    It's like a smaller, more intimate live-action Akira, no? I thought it was very well done, especially on a (for Hollywood) shoestring budget.

Star Trek - Into Darkness. (Mild spoilers ahead)

I liked it.

It looks great, effects are very good, some great, huge action sequences...though maybe a little overdone in places, with a few too many explosions, chases and race-against-time cliches.

Cumberbatch is very, very good - he has great screen presence as the villain.

It was also good to see characters like Scotty and Chekhov given a little more to do, though somehow other characters like Spock, Uhura and Bones seemed less impressive this time round.

The climax of the movie tries a little too hard to please the fanboys, and shamelessly copies the events of one of the older movies.

That said, I liked how it set the scene for the next movie, with the 5 year mission starting...and next time around it would be good to see the movies go out into space properly and be less earthbound, bringing it closer to the spirit of the tv series.

Banned
    Just got back from IM3. We intended to go see 42, but some of the shit I've been reading has me thinking that I'll wait for the DVD from Redbox, that is if Redbox is still here in 3 months.

First of all, the previews and trailers had me exhausted waiting for the feature. I finished off 1/3 of a large popcorn before the damn thing even started. Plus, they're showing commercials for TV shows now and that's just wrong.
    I can sorta see where nosebone is disappointed. The plot could've taken a whole different direction, especially with regards to the Mandarin character. But hey, it's a comic book movie and I thought Ben Kingsley was genius.
    It was a bit too long, and the list of credits was the longest I've ever seen, but we waited it out because there's always a surprise at the bottom of the box.

Banned
    I watched Life Of Pi with my parents last night, and it was pretty good.

Have you read the book, JIF?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    No. I don't like to read. I'm more of a visual person.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Just happened to flip on to One Flew Over a Cukoo's Nest. Spellbinding. I've seen it many times, including at a play in NYC, but it's really a timeless movie. Jack at his finest with a formidable supporting cast, including one of the greatest villians, Nurse Rachet.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

In honor of Mother's Day, I watched the remake of Mother's Day. Not a bad horror flick.

Watched Jack Reacher. Really not bad for a Tom Cruise flick. Not overblown with explosions, the bad guys are pretty evil, Cruises charactor interesting. Never read aNY of the books but I can see how the formula is so popular. 7 of 10.

Speaking of Cruise , caught Collateral on cable, with Cruise as the bad guy, and Jamie Fox as the victim/good guy. Cruise plays a compelling sociopathic hitman. Its visually arresting, moves quickly, I like it. Real changeup for TC , dont think it made alot of money but its a good flick. 8/10.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Speaking of Cruise , caught Collateral on cable, with Cruise as the bad guy, and Jamie Fox as the victim/good guy. Cruise plays a compelling sociopathic hitman. Its visually arresting, moves quickly, I like it. Real changeup for TC , dont think it made alot of money but its a good flick. 8/10.
    I really liked this one too, agree with 8/10.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Watched Jack Reacher. Really not bad for a Tom Cruise flick. Not overblown with explosions, the bad guys are pretty evil, Cruises charactor interesting. Never read aNY of the books but I can see how the formula is so popular. 7 of 10.
    This was surprisingly good, I thought. I've read a couple of the books and really enjoy them, so I was rather skeptical of a movie featuring Tom Cruise in the lead role. To be clear, I like Cruise as an actor, as much as I think he's a whack-a-doo in "real life," but he just seemed as an odd casting in the role.

And I expected the movie to be more of an action/thriller/shoot-em-up kinda thing, but it actually had more of a story than I though it it would. I agree with the 7/10.

I've been meaning to catch this for a while, as Cruise, to me, is totally believable as a sociopathic hitman.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Just watched Django Unchained, enjoyed it a lot, I don't mind Tarantino gore fests but this was more just excessive blood splatter. Thought Jamie Foxx was good and Christoph Waltz was excellent. Basically silly but fun. Were the Australians added just to let Tarantino do a silly accent?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I watched it last night on Vudu.
    Not bad , I liked it more than Ghost Protocol, the last TC flick I saw.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Anyone here see “The Master” from last year. We rented it last night and although the acting was fantastic (it got 3 Oscar nominations), the story just kind of dragged and dragged. Not sure what the point of it all was in the end.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    No. I don't like to read.
    If you had to be on airplanes as much as me, you might learn to enjoy reading, JIF. I can't stand watching movies on those tiny screens they have in most planes and books make long flights bearable.

Anyway, I DID read "Life of Pi" about 6 years ago and loved it! I thought it would make a great movie, but after 5 years, I'd given up hope that it would ever happen and then... it DID happen! I've seen it twice now; once in the theater (in 3D, of course!) and once on Vudu at home. I think it's one of the best film adaptations of a book I've ever seen. They covered just about all of the more important points of the book, some of which I was afraid they were going to leave out. The only thing they did leave out regretfully, was when Pi's mentors from the three religions he was studying all met each other, none of them knowing Pi was involved in the respective other religions. But it's an insignificant nitpick; overall, I thought it was great!

Originally Posted by JIF
    Originally Posted by Scott Bails
    Originally Posted by JIF
    No. I don't like to read.

I've always loved reading and unfortunatly as I get older I find it harder and harder to muster the will and disipline to start and maintain a book. I guess Im loosing focus with age, its also affected my movie watching, no attention span there at times either. Im fine with short hits like articles in the daily paper but committing to 300 pages, not so easy anymore. Bummer, its not by choice.

This morning I watched J'Accuse. From 1919, this great film was probably the first anti-war. Directed by one of the top two or three film masters, Abel Gance. Highest recommendation along with Gance's next, La Roue. Any other silent film fans out there?

Bloodwork (US 2002) with Clint Eastwood and Jeff somebody or other. After carefully cultivating an all-American boy image, Eastwood is unconvincing in his latter day seedy roles, but they are enjoyable nevertheless. Some of the dialogue in this film is quite amusing, especially when a colleague calls Eastwood's ageing cop character, 'pops'.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Bloodwork (US 2002) with Clint Eastwood and Jeff somebody or other. After carefully cultivating an all-American boy image, Eastwood is unconvincing in his latter day seedy roles, but they are enjoyable nevertheless. Some of the dialogue in this film is quite amusing, especially when a colleague calls Eastwood's ageing cop character, 'pops'.
    Please tell me you were joking and didn't forget the name Jeff Daniels.

Bloodwork wasn't very good at all. Jeff Daniels owns a theatre just down the road from here.

I did forget and it wasn't a criticism of Jeff Daniels, he is very good in the film. Although the later Eastwood films are often criticised, I like them. Eastwood did not direct Bloodwork, but his influence shows, with little touches here and there of Don Siegel. Agreed, the role of the girl and the dialogue are poor, but I have forgotten the last Hollywood film I watched for a sharp script. It was probably Bringing Up Baby!

Correction. Eastwood did direct Blood Work. I've also just remembered Anjelica Huston is not good as the heart surgeon.