Page 89 of 316 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Jeremy - I disagree with you regarding Gone Girl, as I don't think it's one of Fincher's best simply because of the ending, but he may have been constrained by the book, which I haven't read yet. But your "mini-reviews" have piqued my interest in several of those films. I'm especially interested in The Theory of Everything.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for the reviews, Jeremy. I hope to see Gone Girl, Whiplash, Theory Of Everything, and Birdman, all of which I have read a bit about. I had heard nothing at all about Foxcatcher and Imitation Game, but will look them up because I am unfamiliar with the biographies they are based on. Chances are they are things I have heard about, but my mind won't make the leap from movie name to story.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Jeremy--I'm curious to know what you'll think of Nightcrawler. Did you see Enemy yet?

Klonk's list: I've seen Blue Ruin and ABC's 2, both were pretty good.

Wondered if anyone had seen Here Comes the Devil?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Gone Girl was fkn excellent!!! You and your endings. Loved that ending. Poor, poor sack-less schmuck.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

scottbails will never fully be satisfied with anything that has anything to do with anything.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Gone Girl was fkn excellent!!! You and your endings. Loved that ending. Poor, poor sack-less schmuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    scottbails will never fully be satisfied with anything that has anything to do with anything.
    Not true at all! You're not paying attention.

I love the ending to Fincher's Seven and Fight Club, for example.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

my apologies...almost anything that has anything to do with anything.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    God I hated Se7en, it was just too painful to watch. I thought the endings for Gone Girl and Fight Club were both excellent.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    my apologies...almost anything that has anything to do with anything.
    That's better.

I *loved* the ending of Gone Girl, by the end of it I really felt those two assholes really deserved to spend the rest of their miserable lives stuck together. From what I gather, the ending in the movie is similar to the ending in the book, but I do want to read the book, the screenplay was written by the author so there can't be the usual "Wah! Wah! They changed my precious book!! WAH!".

Jeremy--I'm curious to know what you'll think of Nightcrawler. Did you see Enemy yet?
    No, it's on my list of things to see. It's weird, I just haven't gotten in to renting stuff via Netflix or online, I record everything off of cable. Might need to investigate Netflix or Hulu or similar since I haven't seen a lot of stuff from the last few years but I've pretty much seen everything worthwhile from the 1920's > 1950's on TCM and similar channels!

God I hated Se7en, it was just too painful to watch
    I saw it when it came out originally, I *still* have nightmares about some of it all these years later. Well done all involved, but I never ever want to see it again despite being a huge Fincher fanboy. BTW, it looks as if he's finally on board to do the second installment of the English-language Millenium trilogy (The Girl Who Played With Fire) with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, it's in the script stage. I went nuts for the Swedish-language version of the trilogy with Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace so I'm looking forward to see what Fincher does with the material.
    ...or you could love

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    BTW, it looks as if he's finally on board to do the second installment of the English-language Millenium trilogy (The Girl Who Played With Fire) with Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, it's in the script stage. I went nuts for the Swedish-language version of the trilogy with Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace so I'm looking forward to see what Fincher does with the material.
    The Swedish version of the trilogy was outstanding, I was surprised how well they managed to do the Daniel Craig version (i.e. didn't horribly screw it up)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Loved The Babadook. My take: The Babadook represents the mother's unmanaged mental illness which really spins out of control around a certain anniversary/birthday celebration (hence the kid's crafty and clever homemade weapons in anticipation). At the the end, we see the Babadook still exists, but is being managed. Barely.

Or, I could just be full of shit.
    Interesting perspective and one that I had not really thought of. I am still not totally sure how I feel about the movie. I liked it, but did not love it. Yours is as good an explanation as any as to the ending though.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Attempted Under The Skin a couple of nights ago. Horrid. Dozed off about a third through, woke up later and tried to get into it. Reminded me of Eraserhead in pacing. God what boredom ensued. Not even a naked Scarlett Johanson could save this snoozer. 1.5 out of 10, being kind .
    What? WHAT?!? I loved that movie. Come for the nudity (I agree, it wasn't the best part of the movie), stay for the moody fish-out-of-water alien biopic. I actually liked it more after the fact (I.E. the more I thought about it). Yes, it's very specifically paced, but you have to understand what's going on, and I love a movie that doesn't insult your intelligence by telling you everything that's going on.

I really need to see Babadook.

And Birdman is still my movie of the year. Everyone in the cast was fantastic (Emma Stone! The scene where she tells off her dad and then just looks horrified at herself for what just came out of her mouth -- again, without insulting the audience by saying anything about it, done all with non-verbals -- I love good non-verbals.).

Saw Into the Woods -- it was good. Only recommended to people who like musicals, though.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I love the ending to Fincher's Seven
    Ouch, that Brad Pitt crying scene... yikes!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Not even a naked Scarlett Johanson could save this snoozer.
    That's a very, very serious allegation son.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's a very, very serious allegation son.
    Called it as I saw it. And I saw it, all of it (Ms Scarlett) and still regreted the time spent. I stand by the adjective, horrid.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ouch, that Brad Pitt crying scene... yikes!
    Don't want to include any spoilers yet, but has any of you seen the end of this film?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Loved The Babadook. My take: The Babadook represents the mother's unmanaged mental illness which really spins out of control around a certain anniversary/birthday celebration (hence the kid's crafty and clever homemade weapons in anticipation). At the the end, we see the Babadook still exists, but is being managed. Barely.

Or, I could just be full of shit.
    Yeah, I think you're right. I had to think about it for a while. It was pretty good really.

The Interview is one funny flick. If you recoil from raunch, profanity, and gratuitous stereotyping, stay away. If you like what Rogen and Franco do, wade in.

Saw the 3rd Hobbit movie. Meh, entertaining enough, but...hated some of the typical Hollywood tropes shown. [spoiler]The "eyes suddenly open" scene comes to mind.[/spoiler] No spoiler tags? Yeezh. Alright, making it white-on-white -- select to view text. EDIT: Alright, that didn't work either, don't know what color that is, got it as close as I care to.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Thief ( 1981)

Pre Miami Vice Michael Mann crime film starring James Caan.

It has that dated 80s look, but still a decent bank robbery caper.

The Tangerine Dream score worked well with Manns hyper visual style.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why did we watch The Woman in Black last night? It was my wife's fault. Free on Amazon at least.

Now downloading Gone Girl and The Conjuring.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Thief ( 1981) Pre Miami Vice Michael Mann crime film starring James Caan.
    One of my favorite films.

It has that dated 80s look, but still a decent bank robbery caper.
    I think it has more of a '70s look, but anything '80-'82 I still consider as having a '70s bleedover. Either way, it's great.

The Tangerine Dream score worked well with Manns hyper visual style.
    TD's best score. It's been issued on CD no fewer than six times, the latest being last year's remaster on Perseverance.

The dated 80s look due to Michael Manns style which I still associate with Miami Vice.

But I agree that up until 1982, most movies looked and felt like the 70s.

A few fine examples would be The Verdict , Body Heat and Ordinary People .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone