Page 86 of 316 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096136186 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Two holiday flics on TV watched in the last couple of days; Its A Wonderful Life the Jimmy Stewart Capra directed classic. Beautiful bit of Hollywood magic, I like everything about this one. If your one of the few who's never seen it ,do so. 10 of 10. A more recent holiday flic; The Family Stone, from 2005. Sarah Jessica Parker ,who I really don't like, plays to her unlikable strengths along with Diane Keeton, Luke Wilson, and a formidable ensemble cast play an eccentric family gathered for Christmas. Sentamental manipulations without the smaltz. This is a good one, 9.5 out of 10, there has to be some kind of penalty for Sarah J Parker.

The Family Stone is one of our holiday staples around here. Of course, it has to be countered with a viewing of The Ref.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got an extreme dislike for movie musicals. There's probably about six or seven that I actually like (half involve Bob Fosse) and the rest I think should be burned with fire. Don't even get me started on musical theater and show tunes. The only genre I feel more strongly about is country.
    I can only name two I like... Man of La Mancha and West Side Story... well, ok... The Sound of Music is good too
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

You guys dig Rocky Horror Picture Show and you know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Family Stone is one of our holiday staples around here. Of course, it has to be countered with a viewing of The Ref.
    The Ref is fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Never saw it, and not sure of what its about, it didn't fall in my lap and I never sought it out.

I do. I particularly love the soundtrack album, which differs in some ways from the movie. "Science Fiction Double Feature" is one of my favourite songs, I can't help it!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Never saw it, and not sure of what its about, it didn't fall in my lap and I never sought it out.
    It's something of a twisted homage to B-movies of the 1950s, a combination of horror and sci-fi. A young, naive couple (featuring a *stunning* young Susan Sarandon) stumble upon an old mansion inhabited by space aliens and their boorish transexual leader (Tim Curry) who has created a 'perfect man' in his laboratory. Sex, singing and hilarity ensue.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Rocky Horror is wonderful, silly, inane. Love it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I need to watch Scrooge (1970) with Albert Finney -- easily my favourite rendition of A Christmas Carol, and one of the great musicals of all time.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

As far as classics go...I still get hate for it , but I never liked 'It's A Wonderful Life' and it still doesn't do it for me. I was more of a 'Miracle on 34th Street kid.

Some I like to watch around this time of year are...

Silent Night, Deadly Night
    Gremlins
    Black Christmas
    Christmas Evil

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The movie is good, but it is another example of a musical that I like better done live on stage than in the movie. I have seen it done live several times (Twice with Fee Waybill of the Tubes playing Dr. Frankenfurther), and that is the way to really see (and experience) it.

The RHPC can only be appreciated with a audience of crazies and even crazier people acting it out while the movie is playing. It takes balls to get up there wearing lingerie and act out the stupidity of this movie.

Rice, toast, "Where's your fucking NECK!!!!!", Meatloaf for dinner, yeah that was a helluva ride. I've never seen anything like it.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    As far as classics go...I still get hate for it , but I never liked 'It's A Wonderful Life' and it still doesn't do it for me.
    My claim to fame is I've never seen it and don't plan to just for the sake of keeping the the streak alive. Do you know how damn hard that is when every channel seems to play it during this time of year???
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    My claim to fame is I've never seen it and don't plan to just for the sake of keeping the the streak alive. Do you know how damn hard that is when every channel seems to play it during this time of year???
    Same here - never seen it.

My favorite Christmas movie is Bad Santa.

Some I like to watch around this time of year are...

Gremlins
    Black Christmas
    Christmas Evil

Explains a lot.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    The RHPC can only be appreciated with a audience of crazies and even crazier people acting it out while the movie is playing. It takes balls to get up there wearing lingerie and act out the stupidity of this movie.

Rice, toast, "Where's your fucking NECK!!!!!", Meatloaf for dinner, yeah that was a helluva ride. I've never seen anything like it.
    Yup, been to a couple of midnight shows with audience part-ic-ip-ation. Wonderfully bonkers.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Gremlins
    Black Christmas
    Christmas Evil
    Black Christmas is killer. Literally killer. What an ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Same here - never seen it.

Forget about this one. Stone cold classic
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

As far as classics go...I still get hate for it , but I never liked 'It's A Wonderful Life' and it still doesn't do it for me.
    Sometimes something that popular lives up to the hype and I feel that's true for "It's a Wonderful Life." Sure, some of it is cornball, but it's a well written story and well made movie that taps into various emotions and has some good laughs too. The last quarter of it is almost like a "Twilight Zone" episode. Heck, if you were still a virgin, would you want to keep that streak alive for it's own sake?

BTW, it was a box office flop and only became popular when they started showing it on the boob tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    That's some pretty dark shit for Christmas, but I love it too! Billy Bob was great in it, but the interplay between John Ritter and Bernie Mac almost steal the show!
    Last edited by No Pride; 12-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.

Bad Santa - so many great dark moments. The back and forth between Ritter and Mac was classic. Santa's preference for um...the back door.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

List of theaters that are showing "The Interview" on X-Mas:
    http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/23/medi...l?iid=HP_River
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Forget about this one. Stone cold classic
    Indeed! My fave as well. Heather Graham is so hot in this!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

It is even harder when your wife (who has probably seen it 20 times) insists on watching it every year, usually multiple times. Actually......it is a pretty good movie, but once or twice goes a long way.

Anybody ever seen this one? One of the best/or worst of its genre depending on your perspective.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone