Page 85 of 316 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Kill Me Three Times looks awesome!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Now Sony is saying they will try to release "The Interview", but defo not on Xmas. They say they had no other recourse because the theaters refused to show the movie. Obama has condemned the decision. "I would have told them (Sony) do not get into a pattern in which you're intimidated by these kinds of criminal acts."
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I watched The Purge last night. I don't think it was as great as it was hyped to be, but it wasn't bad. It has been a while since I saw a movie that could crank up the tension in the audience. It did that quite well.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Blu-ray of William Friedkins To Live And Die In LA (1985)

I haven't seen this in awhile and have mixed feelings .

It was beautifully filmed, had a great car chase and the story was decent, but the mid 80s Miami Vice/Michael Mann influence dated it badly.

And the soundtrack was paper thin synth pop by Wang Chung.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Into the Woods is intriguing me almost enough to go see it in a theater, which is something I rarely do. I really love that play. I first saw it about 25 years ago and was blown away at not just how funny it was but how good the whole shebang was.

I'm not much for musicals but after all these years, Spamalot, Buffy's Once More, With Feeling and such they aren't all that bad but I'm still never, ever watching Grease. I've never seen it and never will. I really dislike the few songs I know from it so why subject myself to stuff I don't like?
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Into the Woods is intriguing me almost enough to go see it in a theater, which is something I rarely do. I really love that play. I first saw it about 25 years ago and was blown away at not just how funny it was but how good the whole shebang was.

I'm not much for musicals but after all these years, Spamalot, Buffy's Once More, With Feeling and such they aren't all that bad but I'm still never, ever watching Grease. I've never seen it and never will. I really dislike the few songs I know from it so why subject myself to stuff I don't like?

Because Grease is the word ,is the word ,is the word ?

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Because Grease is the word ,is the word ,is the word ?
    Yeah, you just got yourself put on the list, buddy old pal. Someday, I'll remember that and get you back for it.

I could go watch it without the sound. ONJ is smoking hot in this one for sure.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

I've got an extreme dislike for movie musicals. There's probably about six or seven that I actually like (half involve Bob Fosse) and the rest I think should be burned with fire. Don't even get me started on musical theater and show tunes. The only genre I feel more strongly about is country.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Excellent flic musicals; The King And I , My Fair Lady,Sound Of Music , The Wizard Of Oz to name a few.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I've got an extreme dislike for movie musicals. There's probably about six or seven that I actually like (half involve Bob Fosse) and the rest I think should be burned with fire. Don't even get me started on musical theater and show tunes. The only genre I feel more strongly about is country.
    That's kind of an extreme opinion, but you're welcome to it. How do you feel about Oklahoma and Annie Get Your Gun? Those are two good ones. Gypsy? Another great one. My father wrote Broadway plays so I did grow up with them, but the musicals like the ones I mentioned are Americana, great stuff. Try the movie Yankee Doodle Dandy. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That's kind of an extreme opinion, but you're welcome to it. How do you feel about Oklahoma and Annie Get Your Gun? Those are two good ones. Gypsy? Another great one. My father wrote Broadway plays so I did grow up with them, but the musicals like the ones I mentioned are Americana, great stuff. Try the movie Yankee Doodle Dandy. It's great.
    Yeah, see Oklahoma is part of the problem. Part of the issue is that at heart, I'm a rocker. I like a little grit in my music, a little edge. There is no edge in this stuff. Second is the whole staged aspect of it, the whole "breaking into song" aspect that turns me off. I clearly remember my mother, who loved this stuff, trying to get my brother and I to watch musicals. I remember that she had us watch Oklahoma on TV once with the promise "it has cowboys". We were both in that little macho shit cowboy stage. Early in there was a number and a group of cowboys (with no guns) broke into a dance line. I looked at my brother, he looked at me, we were out of the fucking room the next second.

Now obviously I've matured since then. I can listen to jazz or classical and hey, those can exist without a scorching distorted guitar solo. But play me a show tune and there is something about it that makes me want to play some crotch rock at a high volume. Yes, I understand there are some clever lyricists that wrote the book on these musicals, I'm sure that there are composers that pushed the boundary of stage music. But I can't stand it. But I do make exceptions. Here's the movie musicals I can sit through without complaint:

Cabaret (the "World Belongs to Me" scene is just devastating)
    Fiddler on the Roof
    All That Jazz (as I said, Fosse often gets a pass)
    A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (because it is pretty fucking funny)
    The Wizard of Oz
    Paint Your Wagon (Again, funny. Cheesy but funny)
    Sweeney Todd (I actually prefer stage versions to Tim Burton's overwrought atrocity)
    Spamalot (on stage, of course - no movie exists. A gay friend of mine lives in NYC and adores Broadway. He saw Spamalot in its original incarnation on Broadway and told me, "I don't think I have ever seen so many straight men in a theater, and they all knew the words to THE SONGS?!").

Several years ago on a trip to NYC, I took my wife to see Hugh Jackman in The Boy From Oz. We were in the sixth row. She was in heaven. I decided my safest course of action was to concentrate on the women dancing and keep my mouth shut. Not once did I mutter, "What the hell, Wolverine".
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oh, and Grease is an atrocity against mankind. Sure, ONJ is in a leather slut suit but god, those songs are TERRIBLE!

Oh, and Grease is an atrocity against mankind. Sure, ONJ is in a leather slut suit but god, those songs are TERRIBLE!
    I think the song itself "Grease Is The Word" or whatever it's called, is great!

How do you feel about Rocky Horror Picture Show?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

TELL ME MORE! TELL ME MORE!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    TELL ME MORE! TELL ME MORE!
    I'd rather have my nails pulled with a rusty pliers than hear that goddamn song ever again.

The Frankie Valli song wasn't bad - I mean, c'mon, it's Frankie Valli. Boy, did it get played way too much back in the day. I was college age the summer that came out. I, my brother, my college age cousins were all putting together an enormous steel shed on the family farm. It took us at least a month. We had the top 40 radio station playing nonstop and Frankie Valli got airplay four-five times a day. "Grease is the Word" and a few other songs of that summer got to be memes for us. Handing sheets of steel up the scaffolding, the person at the top would say "Steel is the word" and the others at the bottom would say, "it has groove, it has meaning." Our dads also shook their heads at us dancing up on the scaffolds to the Stones' "Miss You"..."Walking in Central Park, singing after dark, people say I'm crazy". Dad would say, "yeah, you're crazy alright". Ah hell, I'm getting old.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I saw If I Stay. If you like tragic, sappy love stories you should definitely see this. If you're a guy, or if you like your movies a little more upbeat, skip it. Even my wife and daughter were glad to see it end. Too maudlin even for them. One of the characters is a musician. All the songs sound the same. The acting was decent. But you can only take so much of this stuff.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

We had the top 40 radio station playing nonstop and Frankie Valli got airplay four-five times a day. "Grease is the Word" and a few other songs of that summer got to be memes for us. Handing sheets of steel up the scaffolding, the person at the top would say "Steel is the word" and the others at the bottom would say, "it has groove, it has meaning."
    Wow, you guys were so clean. Must be a Midwestern thing. When I worked in landscaping as a teen with my older bro and the other cogs in my dad's employ, everything was perverted beyond reason, be it song lyrics, street names, even fast food joints. McDonald's became McTesticles, Carl's Jr. became Carl's Taint, Burger King became Verga King ("verga" is slang for dick in Spanish), Jack in Wendy's Box, and so on.

Hey, we were working with our dads, who were the definitive clean Midwestern ideal. Oh we had our share of dirty versions of everything but it was never never said in front of them.

Best musical ever? South Park -- Bigger, Longer, Uncut.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I played in a pit orchestra for both Annie Get Your Gun and Oklahoma back in my younger days......I honestly don't care if I ever hear any of those songs again.

Back on topic, I generally think musicals work much better on stage than they do in the movies.

"Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Hey, we were working with our dads
    Sorry, I didn't realize that. I thought it was you, your bro and cousins and that your dads were only there occasionally to check your progress.

So far my fave musicals are:
    Lil Abner--made back in the 50's I think, but a fairly fun movie.
    West Side Story
    Paint Your Wagon
    Showboat

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy last night it was pretty good, but I hope they don't try the same approach with Star Wars--a bit too jokey for my taste.

Rewind This!--a doc on the video cassette revolution and history and how it changed the way we watch movies, how Hollywood adjusted to it, the formats, the Mom & Pop stories, being a teen in that evolution, the format war, and people who still collect the format-- a pretty fun video.

Also Nightcrawler--Jake Gyllenhaal, plays a sort of lowlife that gets involved with the TV industry shooting footage. Rather nutty guy, and sort of edgy, I liked it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Musicals
    Rocky Horror
    Meaning Of Life
    Little Shop of Horrors

I pretty much hate musicals especially Disney.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.