Page 7 of 316 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Saw Spies A-Go-Go [aka Nasty Rabbit], Prehistoric Women, Hollywood After Dark, and Rotten Apple yesterday. Rotten Apple was pretty good; I think it actually rises above b-movie status. maybe not. Really enjoyed it. My wife is out of town this weekend, so I'm getting Jimi Plays Berkeley, Led Zeppelin: Physical Graffiti, and Step Into Liquid DVDs.

Finally saw Chronicle and wow, just fucking wow. Far deeper and more realistic than I thought it would be. Best SF film I've seen in a while.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I Watched Man On A Ledge yesterday, singularly unimpressed, these kinds of revenge caper movies need some degree of plausibility, this was just dumb.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Finally saw Chronicle and wow, just fucking wow. Far deeper and more realistic than I thought it would be. Best SF film I've seen in a while.
    It was really good? When I saw the adverts, all I could think was that it would be a darker version of "Zoom", and I was just not interested.

Do you really need to be a comic book film lover to appreciate it? Or, are the story, premise and effects solid enough to impress beyond the "super power" stuff?

My wife is not a fan of comic book movies and she liked it. It's all "found footage", which I normally hate but they do a pretty decent job with it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It was really good? When I saw the adverts, all I could think was that it would be a darker version of "Zoom", and I was just not interested.

Do you really need to be a comic book film lover to appreciate it? Or, are the story, premise and effects solid enough to impress beyond the "super power" stuff?
    When you say Zoom, do you mean the superhero movie with Tim Allen?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    When you say Zoom, do you mean the superhero movie with Tim Allen?
    Yeah

Just finished reading "The Searchers : The Making Of An American Legend " by Glenn Frankel. While it is about John Ford's 1956 film , The Searchers, it spends 3/4s of its pages talking about the story / legend that inspired the film. In the 1800's in the West the war between white settlers and the indigenous native Americans was a brutal bloody affair. Massacares by both sides, kidnapping, rape, it was a fight to the death,with a basically predetermined outcome. The film is about the kidnapping of a young child by Commanche indians, her assimilation into the tribe, and the relentless multi year search for her by her flawed uncle. This was based in the true story of the abduction of Cynthia Ann Parker and the 16 year search for her by her uncle James Parker. The story so captured the imaginations of the people of the time( one of many abductions ) that it spawned plays ,an opera, many books , influenced Texas politics up to the goveners position,and of course, eventually the John Wayne film. The backstory of the book is well researched and I found it facinating. Im not a history buff ,but have a list of further books about the period on my list.
    About the film, for those who havnt seen it, do so. The best Wayne role by far. The best western ever, I think. One of director Fords most visually beautiful films and he was one of the best in this regard. Even when I saw this first as a kid, while I didnt fully understand all the concepts, I knew I was watching something out of the ordinary. It explores obsession, race hatred, forbidden love, family loyalty to great effect. Wayne is not the Wayne he is stereotyped as. He effectly portrays a vicious obsessed vengful killer,incredable performance.This is a film about so much more than the actual story,fantastic film making.
    Im looking forward to another view of the film,tonight, with the added perspective provided by a very wonderful book.

^ One of my favourite John Ford films is My Darling Clementine, about the shootout at the OK Corral (although the character of Clementine is fictional). I saw a TV programme, some years ago, in which Lindsey Anderson analysed the film scene by scene. Although considered by some to be a dark tale, Anderson refuted the entire notion. It is also said to be Sam Peckinpah's favourite western. I particularly like the scenes with the passing theatre show, featuring Alan Mowbray as Granville Thorndyke. There are all sorts of little hidden references, for example to Shakespeare. Sadly, the film was cut and the missing scenes are lost. If you like The Searchers, I can recommend Clementine.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

I recently watched The Searchers for the first time. It is a great film, one that I will return to, I'm sure, a number of times. As I was watching, the actor who played Mose seemed very familiar. Being a big Twin Peaks fan it was cool to learn that the actor's (Hank Worden) last role was as the old waiter who found Agent Cooper after he'd been shot. I guess Lynch was a The Searchers fan. Anyway, The Searchers is tremendous. My to-watch pile includes Stagecoach and The Iron Horse, the silent western from 1924, Ford's first masterpiece.

I saw Oblivion last week - the new Tom Cruise/Morgan Freeman movie.

I had free tickets to a pre-screening in IMAX.

Excellent film to see in IMAX format. It's a very big, epic-type of movie. The plot was rather thin, and borrows heavily from other sci-fi films (The Matrix, Moon, WALL-E, etc.), but overall, I found it to be entertaining. Visually, it gets an 11 out of 10. Otherwise, I'd give it a 6.5. If you're interested and have the opportunity to see it in IMAX, I recommend it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Excellent film to see in IMAX format. It's a very big, epic-type of movie. The plot was rather thin, and borrows heavily from other sci-fi films (The Matrix, Moon, WALL-E, etc.), but overall, I found it to be entertaining. Visually, it gets an 11 out of 10. Otherwise, I'd give it a 6.5. If you're interested and have the opportunity to see it in IMAX, I recommend it.
    Thanks for the review, Scott. I haven't been in to seeing a Tom movie for a while since he's done so many bombs.
    Last edited by JIF; 05-18-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post

Took my dad to see it in IMAX today and agree, it is a great IMAX movie. I would probably give it a bit higher review than you, but yea, it pretty much takes every sci fi cliché and puts them into one movie. It is like the filmmakers took the best stuff from a bunch of classic sci fi flicks and stuck it into one move (Star Wars, Close Encounters, 2001 Space Oddity, Matrix, Independence Day all come to mind.). Overall I enjoyed it a lot, and I would give it an 8 out of 10, but this is definitely one to see on the big screen.

Steve Sly

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    ^ One of my favourite John Ford films is My Darling Clementine, about the shootout at the OK Corral (although the character of Clementine is fictional). I saw a TV programme, some years ago, in which Lindsey Anderson analysed the film scene by scene. Although considered by some to be a dark tale, Anderson refuted the entire notion. It is also said to be Sam Peckinpah's favourite western. I particularly like the scenes with the passing theatre show, featuring Alan Mowbray as Granville Thorndyke. There are all sorts of little hidden references, for example to Shakespeare. Sadly, the film was cut and the missing scenes are lost. If you like The Searchers, I can recommend Clementine.
    Havnt seen MDC in a very long time. Think Im due. This might kick off a Ford Fest . Ford is an example of one of the few directors who's personality comes through and who's films are instantly recognisable as his work. The mechanics of his film laguage are beautiful. His philosophy was to show the story visually, not move the story along with heavy dialoge. The composition of his shots are often amazing, this visual flow smooth and graceful. His tricks are still copied by todays film makers. Theres movies ,then theres Movies. Being immersed in a Movie and appreciating its form is a pleasure.

Just came back from Iron Man Three.

I loved IMI and really liked IMII, but I think they killed the franchise with this overblown train wreck.

Remember Spiderman 3? well that is The Godfather compared to IM3.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I stopped the remote on a Chinese movie last night. First comment I heard was, it does not look good to which I replied, let it start! After 10 minutes, there was no way I would jump to another channel as it was excellent. The movie was The flower of war which is about the Sino-Japanese war during the second world war. For sure it was violent but very touching.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

I loved IMI and really liked IMII, but I think they killed the franchise with this overblown train wreck.

Oh my goodness, I had my fears, guess I'll wait for cable
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm sorry to hear that, Chris. I thought the first Iron Man was great, but was pretty disappointed with the sequel. I'd been planning to see "III" in the theater, but if it's worse than "II," I might have to wait until it's on Netflix streaming.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that, Chris. I thought the first Iron Man was great, but was pretty disappointed with the sequel. I'd been planning to see "III" in the theater, but if it's worse than "II," I might have to wait until it's on Netflix streaming.
    IM2 is a masterpiece compared to IM3, and I was also disappointed with IM2.

It's getting pretty positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes.
    Ian

Same on IMDB.

I duuno, it's sure has me scratching my head.

I haven't been following this thread but when I found out about this I thought some of you might enjoy it.

Martin Scorcese giving the 2013 Jefferson Lecture

http://www.neh.gov/about/awards/jeff...re-live-stream

You're the first I've heard say this. As others have said, it's getting mostly positive reviews. I haven't seen it, and never really followed Iron Man in the comics, but from what I understand, many are upset at how they presented The Mandarin.

I have a hard time believing anything RDJ is involved in could be worse than Spiderman 3.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

You could here a pin drop when IM3 ended.

I just love watching movies.