Page 78 of 316 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288128178 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Any thoughts on this - Universal plans to make a "cinematic universe" of the classic movie monsters.
    I can't imagine that working or how one would approach the movies with a modern audience sensibility. Maybe somebody has a good idea on it. It's not like it couldn't be done, but I keep thinking of stuff like Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter or Van Helsing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I can't imagine that working or how one would approach the movies with a modern audience sensibility. Maybe somebody has a good idea on it. It's not like it couldn't be done, but I keep thinking of stuff like Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter or Van Helsing, etc.

Yeah, I don't see how those quaint old monsters could work in Today's cyber world.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Cheap Thrills--didn't now much about this movie, but sort of edgy and suspenseful, kept my interest pretty much all the way. It's about money and how far we'd go for it.

The Edge of Tomorrow--Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt--SF action, I really thought the action scenes rock on this one, and the story was engaging and funny in parts too, pretty novels story.

X-Men: Days of Future Past--Liked this one too, although I didn't know all the mutants, it was fun to see them rocking out with all the special powers, I thought the Asian gal throwing those time holes or vortexes was pretty cool, good story too.

watched the latest Hercules with Dwayne Johnson this time around. I really enjoyed it. not the traditional 12 labors he's known for but more human like, leading a band of mercenaries who carry out different tasks for gold. of course, he's still a badass and the myth of the 12 labors and being the son of Zeus is touched upon but left up in the air mostly. the story concentrates mainly on an offer he accepts to train another Kings army and help defend the kingdom from some barbarians. action was great, acting secondary but solid. based on a graphic novel, if you like these types of movies it should satisfy. don't expect mythological beasts though...it's more grounded in reality (well, close anyways).

watched Amazing Spiderman 2. not being familiar with the comics, I still enjoyed it. the ending really pissed me off though. that caught me off guard, wasn't expecting it. I was fuckin' mad.

I've got Frontera to watch. I heard good things about this one. kind of a modern western with Ed Harris, Michael Peña and Eva Longoria. it got good reviews so we'll see.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Caught a screening of "The Imitation Game"; story of how some math/crossword puzzle whizzes broke the Germans' war machine code in WW2. Brilliant acting by Benedict Cumberbatch, should get a best actor nod. Very good, fast pace to this one. Interesting additional storyline added to the mix; based on a true story that was only made public a decade or so ago, some 50 years after the war ended. Thumbs up.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Tonight's screening- "The Boxtrolls" in 3D. Wonderful animated yarn, fun for kids of all ages. Like me! Sort of a twist on the boy raised in the forest by wolves theme.
    www.imdb.com/title/tt0787474/?ref_=nv_sr_1

(Still a year away from the animated film I'm looking forward to- )
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Bleah, that looks as bad as Paddington.

Edge Of Tommorrow, the latest Tom Cruise movie. Really not bad, a better recent Cruise movie. Scifi/action. Action with a capitol A. I liked it .Not something one would watch over and over to better understand, its a one shot movie for me. Very good for what it is. 7 of 10.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Watched Captain America ~ The Winter Soldier Sunday evening with my wife (on Nacho & Movie Night!)

We both found it highly entertaining.

Now, it's not the kind of movie you'll wake up the next morning and replay highlights in your mind, analyze the plot intricacies or do your own character studies. It is though a fun way to spend 2 hours. The plot and action sped along at a great pace and the special effects were something to "marvel" about.

"The Humbling" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568343/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    Pacino brilliance rears it's beautiful head as Al plays an actor (bit of a stretch) who's had it with acting and goes slightly mental. Based on Philip Roth's book, except it's not supposed to be this funny.
    Q & A with our star and director, Barry Levinson followed tonight's screening-
    IMG_3457.jpg

Evil Dead--the remake--not as good as the original movie, but was okay, just had more grue, hipness, and style, however, less fun, and that's about it. But an ok watch.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Killing Then Softly (2012)

Enjoyed this way more then I thought I would going in. Gandolfini I love of course, even if his casting as a mob hit man might seem way too stereotypical, he actually plays this guy totally different then Tony Soprano. Brad Pitt is hit or miss with me, but this was one of his hits. Ray Liotta's part was stereotypical for him, but that's alright, he's damn good at that.

Not familiar at all with the two leads who play the dimwitted robbers who rob the mob card game and start the fireworks. Some very funny one liners included.

Eight out of 10 hot ginzos looking for me.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I saw "Tombstone" on AMC a couple nights ago. I've seen it several times before. Nothing like a good, violent western with vendettas and killing and shit...... Seriously, a great film. Right up there with all those great Clint Eastwood westerns.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I saw Gone Girl last night. I haven't read the book, but I really enjoyed the movie - except for the ending, which was horrible, IMO. And, from what I understand, it's the same ending as the book. Completely unsatisfying. But, up until the 75% point, it was an excellent film.

7 out of 10 New York Mets hats.
    For me , somehow , if the ending isn't satisfying the rest of the film is devalued . It's a satisfying ending that's tricky to devise, the rest is much easier.

Saw Bad Words last night. I thought the trailers suggested a raunchy comedy ala Bad Teacher. Not so. Its fairly adult, involving an adult wwho exploits a rule loophole to enter a childrens spelling bee completion. The films hook, what is his motivation? Jason Bateman stars and directs. Its a small scale movie, which I found enjoyable. 8 of 10 for me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Saw Bad Words last night. I thought the trailers suggested a raunchy comedy ala Bad Teacher. Not so. Its fairly adult, involving an adult wwho exploits a rule loophole to enter a childrens spelling bee completion. The films hook, what is his motivation? Jason Bateman stars and directs. Its a small scale movie, which I found enjoyable. 8 of 10 for me.
    I won't see this, so I want to know the reason. He lost a spelling bee badly as a kid and wants to be redeemed? Something like that?

I don't want to know, send it to him in PM, please.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I won't see this, so I want to know the reason. He lost a spelling bee badly as a kid and wants to be redeemed? Something like that?
    No, way better than that. In fact the movie is way better than you are probably expecting. Nice twist towards the end, I guessed the zinger slightly before the reveal.

if the ending isn't satisfying the rest of the film is devalued

The trick is, what's a satisfying ending? Does it have to end where everyone lives happily ever after? All the questions are answered? Yep, pretty subjective. I don't mind an enigma ending, and if the first three-fourths were great, I can overlook how I thought it should end.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I actually thought the ending worked well, I came out of the theatre wondering what the following months and years would hold.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The last movie I saw in the theater was "gone girl" about a week ago. I thought it was pretty good but it dragged on too long. Also, I feel it started to deteriorate towards the end. While I won't say it was totally predictable I do wish it ended differently. So over all a very good movie that overstayed it's welcome a bit. Also, I'm not a super huge Ben Affleck fan but made an exception to see this movie. I much prefer his buddy Matt Damon as an actor.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I saw Gone Girl last night. I haven't read the book, but I really enjoyed the movie - except for the ending, which was horrible, IMO. And, from what I understand, it's the same ending as the book. Completely unsatisfying. But, up until the 75% point, it was an excellent film.

7 out of 10 New York Mets hats.
    This is pretty much spot on how I feel as well. I also never read the book and didn't even know it was one. Lol. I wanted to see it because the trailer looked good then saw it had an 8.5 rating on imdb(I should have know that was only because it's brand new; the same reason IQ's road of bones is so high on progarchives(top 25 of all time!)). It was still a very good movie though but in reality it's not necessarily the kind of movie you absolutely have to see in the theater. Only two others in the theater and one was a woman who was snoring. Lol. Still I thought it was really good for most of it like you say then it sort started to drag on. I also felt the ending was a bit unfulfilling and too much of a cliffhanger.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The trick is, what's a satisfying ending? Does it have to end where everyone lives happily ever after? All the questions are answered?
    I don't need a happy ending, but I do want all of the questions answered. It's lazy otherwise, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's lazy otherwise, IMO.

Scott, I wouldn't say it's lazy, granted as you stated, your opinion. And for me, it's a gray area, and subjective which probably shifts from movie to movie and how it's handled. I don't mind if everything isn't answered, as life is that way really. We will die, but there's still a lot left unanswered and undone. Still I don't want Lost either--more enigma than answers. As you said, ymmv.

Northwest Passage--1940 pretty good frontier/action film starring Spencer Tracy, etc. It recounts Major Robert Rogers' 1759 raid on St. Francis, an Abenaki village, during the French and Indian War. As Rogers, Spencer Tracy gives a powerhouse performance, King Vidor delivers the directorial goods, and the storyline, itself, is very exciting. A lot of speeches by Tracy meant to rally the men he was commanding, and some homespun humor.

Lucy--Scarlett Johansson is given a drug that amps up her brain power, which reminded me of Limitless, however, this film has a different angle, part SF, part action film. I actually enjoyed it, and was going to avoid it, but thought it was worth the watch. Had some oddball surreal moments as well as Lucy's brain power gets stronger. Reminded me a bit of Dr. Manhattan's transformation in The Watchman. Pretty fun film.

Sorcerer (1977)

It' been awhile since I watched this forgotten masterpiece.

A beautifully filmed edge of your seat thriller, starring Roy Scheider and directed by William Friedkin
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone