Page 72 of 316 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Hellmark movie rant

I know my view will be rather unpopular, but I totally am sick and tired of Hellmark's stereotypical depictions of corporations and corporate lawyers. Granted, I know both can be rather predatory and dubious in their dealings, but it's reached comical levels in these really stupid movies:

1. A corporation pursuing trademark or copyright is not always doing so out of greed. Lots of money and time are spent on branding and building reputation that is symbolized by a name, logo or slogan. A corporation has a vested interest in protecting their trademarks and copyrights from people and companies using it for questionable purposes.

2. Smaller companies are not the always bastions of integrity and honesty Hellmark (a corporation, mind you) depicts them to be. They are as capable of being as predatory and dishonest as giant corporations because;

3. All big corporations started as smaller entities at some place.

4. All entities, regardless of size, focus on profits because that is how they stay in existence.

Anyone else tired of comical stereotypes in movies and TV shows?
    Last edited by Rune Blackwings; 09-28-2014 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Heldon or Hellmark? Either way, you're fucked
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

WTF is "Hellmark?"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    WTF is "Hellmark?"
    A play on Hallmark, the chick lite channel
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    A play on Hallmark, the chick lite channel
    So....Hellmark is a TV channel?

A Google search pretty much gives nothing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    No Hallmark is a TV channel
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Think of it as the Lifetime Channel with less "Suburban White Woman in Danger" movies.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm aware of the channel and their programming - I just didn't get what Jen was trying to say.

Why does this thread keep migrating between Off Topic and Way Off Topic?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Your question is Off Topic (not sure why I capitalized off topic).
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    No Hallmark is a TV channel
    My wife's default channel; next one being Lifetime. She's completely open-minded about what I watch (and listen to), so I try to afford her the same space.

Yesterday we watched "Angel Face" (1952 w/Robert Mitchum) and "The Stranger' (1946 w/Edward G. Robinson). Both were great. imo EGR was one of the best actors ever (in films). Mitchum was not slouch either.
    Last edited by davis; 09-29-2014 at 11:03 AM.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Blue Ruin - an atypical revenge movie where the lead actor is no one's idea of a hero, but finds himself in the middle of a bloody feud with the family of the man who murdered his parents. Excellent.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    My wife's default channel; next one being Lifetime. She's completely open-minded about what I watch (and listen to), so I try to afford her the same space.

Yesterday we watched "Angel Face" (1952 w/Robert Mitchum) and "The Stranger' (1946 w/Edward G. Robinson). Both were great. imo EGR was one of the best actors ever (in films). Mitchum was not slouch either.
    excellent films!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    We just watched the first one tonight, and my autistic son (and "typical" daughter) absolutely loved it. Good family film, and we're looking forward to seeing the sequel.
    A few weeks back my wife and I watched "Temple Grandin". We found it not only an excellent and captivating film, but it really offers a glimpse into the world of one who is autistic. Knowing it's about a real person makes it even more compelling.

If you don't mind my asking Scott, where on the spectrum is your son?

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Blue Ruin - an atypical revenge movie where the lead actor is no one's idea of a hero, but finds himself in the middle of a bloody feud with the family of the man who murdered his parents. Excellent.

I just watched that last Friday night as well. Good Indie film!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    A few weeks back my wife and I watched "Temple Grandin". We found it not only an excellent and captivating film, but it really offers a glimpse into the world of one who is autistic. Knowing it's about a real person makes it even more compelling.
    Haven't caught that one yet, but I know that it's well-regarded and received awards. And Ms. Grandin herself is a very impressive person.

Don't mind at all, thought it's a difficult question to answer. He's rather high-functioning, but I can't see where he won't struggle through life. He's not as high-functioning as most with Asperger's, but he's far from what most think of when they hear "Autistic." It's.....challenging.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Haven't seen it, and didn't even know of it, but I do often enjoy movies I don't understand. I remember seeing 'Primer' a few years ago-sure didn't get a lot of it but really enjoyed it anyway. So I bought the dvd and watched it several times trying to figure everything out-finally got most of it I think. Pretty interesting stuff.
    Primer is possibly the most difficult to understand movie in one viewing I have ever seen. I think I would need to see it at leasst twice more to fully "get" it.

"Predestination", which I mentioned elsewhere, is a little like that, though not nearly as cryptic. There is also another new film, "The Infinite Man", also Australian and also about time travel, that has been likened to Primer. I haven't seen The Infinite Man yet, but I probably shall.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 09-30-2014 at 10:41 AM.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Don't mind at all, thought it's a difficult question to answer. He's rather high-functioning, but I can't see where he won't struggle through life. He's not as high-functioning as most with Asperger's, but he's far from what most think of when they hear "Autistic." It's.....challenging.
    Thanks Scott. My wife recently took a POPARD (Provincial Outreach Program for Autism Related Disorders) course in preparation for doing some EA subbing at the school our kids attend. Also, we have several friends who have a child with either Autism or Asperger's, so we understand a little (very little) about the challenges. We've observed these challenges though paired with rewards, so hopefully there's plenty of those for you and your son's experiences.

All right, sorry folks, back on track with the thread....

....we saw Thor: The Dark World over this last weekend. Glad I didn't let the Tomatometer dissuade us from watching. It was, for us, what these comic character movies are all about: entertainment. And there was lots of it. Some great dry humour (humor ) thrown in here and there too. We laughed aloud at the very last scene....after the credits rolled.

Temple Grandin was a very interesting docudrama about a very interesting person.

RE: autism and Asperger's: My ex-wife's son (who I helped raise from age 2 to 6) was diagnosed with Asperger's in his early teens. He's an extremely bright guy who has amazing powers of focus. The dysfunctional part is that Asperger's people can't read body language; a thing that's so subliminal for "normal" people that we don't realize how important it is to communication. It makes Asperger's people have considerably more trouble relating to others; they appear to be somewhat "weird." My ex's son had difficulty making friends for that reason. I'm not in touch much since they moved a thousand miles away when he was 10, but I understand he's a practicing lawyer now... and has a serious romantic relationship.

"Temple Grandin".
    Excellent stuff. after that I had to go look up the real person. She's an interesting person and speaker. take your pick: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...temple+grandin

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Christian Bale+Ridley Scott = EPIC

hope it's better than that abysmal Noah garbage Hollywood churned out last year
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Whitewash 2013

After recklessly killing a pedestrian, a drunken snowplow operator finds himself stranded in the forest -- and courting death in the bitter cold.

This little indie existential drama pulled me in from the start. Very well done.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The Mayor of Sunset Strip--pretty good doc on impresario and LA DJ Rodney Bingenheimer. Lots of clips from LA when it was sort of a hot bed on the Strip, interviews with bands and movers and shakers. It was sort of fun to watch for what it was.

Cold In July--crime/suspense film taken from a book by Joe R. Landsdale. About a guy that kills and intruder entering his home.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Probably a dumb question, but how is that remake of The Poseidon Adventure? I was raised on 70s disaster movies, for some reason.