Page 70 of 316 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFR666
    Gwen Stacy vs. Mary Jane Watson though, is not a name change as spellbound writes, but focuses on a different character in the Spiderman / Peter Parker universe.
    Thanks for the information. I did not know Gwen and Mary Jane were two characters from the comic books, and assumed Hollywood was to blame, in a "Emma doesn't look like Kirsten, so let's change her character name" sort of way. Certainly neither hot woman is a deal breaker for me. I just had no idea why they remade the film series, only Ten Years After the first. It's not like the 2002 film was made before there was color film or special effects...
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I think we had a "discussion" about Mr. Baker and some of his comments (Moon and Bonham) in this very thread. Within the last few months, if you felt like digging back 20 pages or so....
    It was a thread on the main board, entitled "Beware of Mr. Baker," just like the film. IIRC, it was at least a 4 pager, maybe more. If interested, just put that title in the search engine here.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    I didn't see much point in this current spiderman reboot.
    I don't see much point in this reboot trend in general. Seems like every time a franchise of movies starts going stale, they "reboot" it, apparently supposing that a fresh start is the answer to getting a series back on track. And it just about never is. How about just letting go and coming up with new characters and storylines?! "The Amazing Spiderman" was a waste of time imo; looking at Emma Stone was about the only thing I liked about it... and she's in several more watchable movies than that. I'm passing on the sequel.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    It was a thread on the main board, entitled "Beware of Mr. Baker," just like the film. IIRC, it was at least a 4 pager, maybe more. If interested, just put that title in the search engine here.
    You are correct. Since I steered him wrong in the first place, the least I can do is provide the linky...
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Does anyone have any idea why they made/are making another Spiderman series of movies?
    $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    anyone remember the original Spiderman animated series from the 60's? that was way better than this current franchise.
    Oh yeah. That's where I became a fan. I wasn't much of a comic book kid, but I loved that show.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was into the comic books.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    My wife and I loved Linklater's "Boy Hood". Marvelous concept, beautifully executed. At times moving, at others horrying and humorous, ponderous and plodding, just like real life.

Just rewatched the classic Manhunter on Amazon Prime. Both my wife and I swear that in the original theater cut, Will Graham checks on the family that was the next on the "Tooth Fairy's" list but when we watched it last night, that scene was missing. Anyone else remember this?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Just rewatched the classic Manhunter on Amazon Prime.
    Is Amazon Prime like Netflix? We don't have this in Canada.

Amazon Prime lets you stream movies and TV shows similar to Netflix. Some are free and some cost a few bucks. I have no idea if Amazon.CA has initiated it or not. My wife was happy that should could get some (but not all) stuff with captions. She hates it when she misses dialog because of accents or characters talking too fast. Netflix allows subtitles on everything I think.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I've been thinking about reducing my cable bill to a very lean selection of channels, I think just the major ones plus pbs, which is 22 total for around $17. a month and picking up amazon prime, seems like a good trade off, and it would be cheaper. I'm miss the CNBC stock channel, which I enjoy, and TCM.

Amazon Prime now offers all the great HBO shows for free streaming.

I'm on season 2 of The Sopranos.

I forgot what a genius Gandolfini was.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Mysterious Skin--a baseball coach molest two of his young players. One of them grows up and turns out hyper sexual, using sex for attention,money, etc., while the other represses his feelings/past. Good film though the subject matter is troubling.

Took the kids to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles this weekend.

It was a live-action kids movie about ninja turtles produced by Michael Bay.

You do the math.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Man, that was flat out FUN. Proof that you can make a good cheesy movie if you approach it right. Oh and one more thing,

I am Groot!

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. Man, that was flat out FUN. Proof that you can make a good cheesy movie if you approach it right. Oh and one more thing,

I am Groot!
    The movie was good, I just couldn't stand the soundtrack. Not that it was bad, but I was totally burned out by the songs years ago.

Or, as Vin would say, I am Groot !!

Last year about this time I was contacted by a casting agency to appear as an extra in a film being made in NYC. It was to be shot on a saturday, so I said "why the hell not".

So here's a picture of me over Emma Stone's left shoulder in the graduation scene of The Amazing Spiderman 2.

Spiderman 2 Circle.jpg
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Mysterious Skin--a baseball coach molest two of his young players. One of them grows up and turns out hyper sexual, using sex for attention,money, etc., while the other represses his feelings/past. Good film though the subject matter is troubling.

I found the subject and depiction of it an uncomfortable experience to the point it was almost gratuitous. For me at least. As such , not a film I would recommend . My opinion only of course.

Suspended
    Saw Predestination today. Excellent.

Based on the SF short story All You Zombies, by Robert Heinlein. Lots of time travel and paradoxes. If this makes it sound like that ridiculous Men In Black, rest assured it's much better.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 09-30-2014 at 10:36 AM.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Ender's Game

Having read the book many years ago, I expected the movie to be a giant letdown.

Well, at least it wasn't a "giant" letdown. More of a mini letdown.

The Good:

Asa nails Ender. Great job by the kid actor.

SFX: really good for the most part, especially the laser tag battle scenes in free fall. Really enjoyed those.

Ben Kingsley as Mazer Racham. Pretty much nails the character. Especially when he suggests he is "Speaker for the Dead". (No sequel needed however. Please.)

The Bad:

Harrison Ford. Sorry, love Mr. Ford in most of his roles, but this one leaves me flat. Pretty much boilerplate, as was the drill Sargent, and the rest of Ender's classmates. The Formic bugs have been done so much better before...

4 out of 10 Starship Troopers.

Suspended
    ^^ Since the book Ender's Game had several sequels, it would be astonishing if the film didn't generate a few. Depending on box office, of course.

Just rewatched the classic Manhunter on Amazon Prime.
    That movie has a killer soundtrack, too. Some cool songs and atmospheric instrumentals by Michel Rubini ("Graham's Theme") and The Reds. Michael Mann's movies always have a great soundtrack.

Michael Mann just has a touch for some details that others gloss over. There is always an appealing visual element to his films and attention is always paid to the soundtrack. My wife played the soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans incessantly after seeing that movie.

This thread is now 70 pgs long and I haven't looked at the majority of pages, so sorry if this movie has been mentioned, but Joan Rivers' death has reminded me that she was in one of my all time fave movies. The Swimmer (1968). Any love for that great flick?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucka001 View Post
    This thread is now 70 pgs long and I haven't looked at the majority of pages, so sorry if this movie has been mentioned, but Joan Rivers' death has reminded me that she was in one of my all time fave movies. The Swimmer (1968). Any love for that great flick?
    This is the Burt Lancaster movie? Its a great movie, interesting premise , cool ending. I don't remember Rivers in it. One of the wives? In the public pool? If I can find my copy I'll be watching for her.