Page 68 of 316 FirstFirst ... 185864656667686970717278118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I do not know if there is enough time left in my life to see all of the truly great movies made before 1980 (or even before 1960) so when it comes to new movies I *really* dont have any time in my life for that crap!

Though I will take in a vapid action film like X Men or the rare good new film like A Beautiful Mind from time to time.
    Mostly though, I only have enough time in my life left for the great classics of cinema made prior to 1960, so these Hunger Games thingies arent gonna make the cut

The Verdict is great BTW
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Kay & I both really liked Lucy and also A Most Wanted Man, with PS Hoffman sadly in one of his last (& best) roles.

Lucy is about as deep & complex as most Jason Statham movies, but it's worth the ticket to see Scarlett flat-out kicking major ass. As Greg said, leave your "disbelief radar" at the door & just enjoy Scarlett & the effects.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad
    Divergent is another of the ever increasing teen-lit movies with little plot or character development and wholly simplistic societal segmentations (see Hunger Games & Twilight). I for one hope this fad goes away soon.
    I have seen both the Hunger Games movies, but never read the books. I agree they are pretty lightweight, but they do have some action and Jennifer Lawrence. The best part is villain Donald Sutherland, of whom I have been a fan at least since Kelly's Heroes (1970). The simplistic societal segmentations in the Hunger Games movies seem to be based on wealth, not unlike the world we live in now, only made simpler for the teenage target audience. They are tolerable movies to watch with your child, and how many of those are there these days?

I have never seen or read Twilight or anything Twilight-related. I won't even watch the putrid vampire dreck on television. Vampires should have balls, be vicious, and not be followed around by mopey teenage girls. Few have come close to Bela Lugosi, who got Dracula right in the 1931 movie. Most vampire flicks since have paled in comparison, although I thought Shadow of the Vampire (2000) was good.

Divergent had the requisite cute girl (Shailene Woodley), but the villain (Kate Winslet) is no Donald Sutherland. And the movie's ending was weak, as was the premise that scientists might even want to take over the world. The soundtrack music was instantly forgettable.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Personally Max Schreck's Nosferato in the 1922 movie is the definitive performance.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I have seen both the Hunger Games movies, but never read the books. I agree they are pretty lightweight, but they do have some action and Jennifer Lawrence. The best part is villain Donald Sutherland, of whom I have been a fan at least since Kelly's Heroes (1970). The simplistic societal segmentations in the Hunger Games movies seem to be based on wealth, not unlike the world we live in now, only made simpler for the teenage target audience. They are tolerable movies to watch with your child, and how many of those are there these days?
    Well they're a little too violent for pre-teens, methinks.

I read the books before seeing the movies and as usual, the books are much better. I'd think some things in the films would be kind of confusing if you haven't read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Personally Max Schreck's Nosferato in the 1922 movie is the definitive performance.
    I don't think I've seen that one.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride
    I read the books before seeing the movies and as usual, the books are much better. I'd think some things in the films would be kind of confusing if you haven't read the books.
    I don't recall any Hunger Games confusion yet. Maybe I'll read the Hunger Games books some time. How many of them are there?
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Donald Sutherland, of whom I have been a fan at least since Kelly's Heroes (1970).
    Rev. Henry Dupas!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Maybe I'll read the Hunger Games books some time. How many of them are there?
    Three. Which means a third movie has to be in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Three. Which means a third movie has to be in the works.
    It is in the works. It will be a two-parter called Mockingjay. I do hope they don't Peter Jackson it all up.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Anyone into Max Schreck should check out Shadow of the Vampire featuring Willem Dafoe as Schreck...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

It is in the works. It will be a two-parter called Mockingjay. I do hope they don't Peter Jackson it all up.
    Two movies? That means they WILL Peter Jackson it up, ala what he did with The Hobbit. The book, "Mockingjay" wasn't any longer than the other two books and doesn't really need two movies to cover it any more than the other books. It was my least favorite in the series too, though I generally enjoyed the whole trilogy.

It was kind of a fluke how I came to read it. I was on tour with a band and I accidentally brought a book that I'd already read. Somebody in the band had just finished The Hunger Games and loaned it to me. Having been marketed to "young adults," I didn't expect to like it, but I did, enough to want to finish the trilogy.

There are a lot of decent books marketed to "young adults." For example, Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld novels, has a young adult tetralogy about a young witch-in-training named Tiffany Aching. If you're into Pratchett, the books are called:
    The Wee Free Men
    A Hat Full Of Sky
    Wintersmith
    I Shall Wear Midnight
    Last year, Steeleye Span made a CD about the novel Wintersmith.

The rights to Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern — ALL the novels in her story cycle, not just the first one — were acquired by Warner last week. So you'll be seeing those, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I do not know if there is enough time left in my life to see all of the truly great movies made before 1980 (or even before 1960) so when it comes to new movies I *really* dont have any time in my life for that crap!

Though I will take in a vapid action film like X Men or the rare good new film like A Beautiful Mind from time to time.
    Mostly though, I only have enough time in my life left for the great classics of cinema made prior to 1960, so these Hunger Games thingies arent gonna make the cut

The Verdict is great BTW
    At times I will happily wallow in vapidity ,old and new. There are quality movies being made today,and some that are just downright entertaining. What I do avoid is movies with a hero who wears his underware outside his pants. The novelty ,for me, is over as far as superhero movies. Also the whole dandy vampire genre , Twight etc is excruciatingy horrid. Vampires are the undead who feed on the living , not Menudo. Hunger Games seem Harry Potterish ,so Im out. Definitly avoid Adam Sandler, wary of Will Ferrell.
    On my short list, Lucy and A Most Wanted Man. Shadow of The Vampire was great.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Anyone into Max Schreck should check out Shadow of the Vampire featuring Willem Dafoe as Schreck...
    Yup, excellent movie
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

There are a lot of decent books marketed to "young adults." For example, Terry Pratchett, author of the Discworld novels, has a young adult tetralogy about a young witch-in-training named Tiffany Aching. If you're into Pratchett, the books are called:
    The Wee Free Men
    A Hat Full Of Sky
    Wintersmith
    I Shall Wear Midnight
    Last year, Steeleye Span made a CD about the novel Wintersmith.
    Love the Tiffany Aching books.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Good one! It would make a great double feature with Cold In July.
    It's on my NF queue, but haven't seen it yet. I like Joe R. Lansdale's stuff though. He's a Texas writer from Nacogdoches, Tx. His books are fun to read.

Got a yen to watch some Godzilla with the newer update of the film, which I haven't seen yet. But I saw were Hulu had some Godzilla features on it and watched Godzilla 2000, which was pretty entertaining. Expect some cheese with Godzilla and it will probably be okay. Sort of a guilty pleasure movie for me, but hey, what can I say, I like the Big G.

The Painting--is a French animated film addressing class. It defines the finished painted figures (Allduns) as the upper class, the half finished as the Middle class, and the sketches as the lower class. There's a love story there between two people of the upper and middle class, and also a journey ensues as well. We follow three/four of the characters further inward to explore their world. The main draw here is the painted, impressionistic art work, the story is lighter, but it's such a delight to watch, I enjoyed the results.

Beware of Mr. Baker--Ginger Baker was the rock drummer for the Brit rock psychedelic band, Cream. After their short time together he joined Blind Faith, and then Air Force and Fela Kuti. Baker has had a heroin addiction which has effected his life greatly, among other problems. Though if you're a fan of rock music or biographies, it's certainly worth a watch.

Ha ha, Lloyd.

Bava and a Planet of the Vampires podcast. I listened to it today, and if you're into that sort of thing, worth a listen: http://projection-booth.blogspot.com...-vampires.html

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Giving Amazon Prime a free trial and was pondering which movie to see first...and an idea finally penetrated....
    (In best Jimmy Durante voice) "Da Big Doubleya" One of my favorite movies of all time, and one of the very rare cases where a star-studded cast of 20-30 familiar faces works perfectly.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    But I saw were Hulu had some Godzilla features on it and watched Godzilla 2000, which was pretty entertaining. Expect some cheese with Godzilla and it will probably be okay. Sort of a guilty pleasure movie for me, but hey, what can I say, I like the Big G.
    Yeah, me too. On Hulu, they currently have the most tripped out, avant garde G-film of all time, "Godzilla vs. Hedorah," which is the original Japanese version of the movie I grew up watching as "Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster." If you get a chance, check it out. It's totally unlike any other Godzilla film. It's from 1971 and has 1) hippies, 2) a psychedelic nightclub scene where the main guy is tripping and the rock band on stage, as well as all the dancers, transform into dancing fish, 3) great psychedelic plasma light show for the rock band performing, 4) wonderful 007-like opening credit sequence, complete with catchy song ("Save the Earth" in the English version), 5) animated cartoons interspersed throughout the film (too whacked out to even describe), 6) Marshall McLuhan-like multiple talking head shots of Japanese citizens, 7) and Godzilla actually flies at the end. T Tanaka, the producer of the Godzilla series, was sick in hospital at the time, and after first-time director Y Banno (who was a producer on the new 2014 Godzilla) showed him the finished film, Tanaka freaked out and told him "You've ruined the Godzilla series" and banned him from working on any other Toho Godzilla films. But what a great, non-linear, trippy G-film!

Godzilla vs. The Smog Monster--Yeah, I saw that one too. I loved it.

I saw it on the 4:30 movie early 70s.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone