Page 65 of 316 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975115165 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Strain was pretty good, good to see Sean Astin acting again, and fairly decent storyline.
    I didn't quite like the very beginning--inside the plane. I thought it was entirely unnecessary to make up that portion of the story, but I guess I can see how it sped up the story line just to get things moving. Some scenes are very true to the book, and things look like they'll be moving along quite closely with the book. At least I hope so.

I'm in the middle of reading The Fall, now. About time, as it's been sitting on my shelf for almost two years.

watched Possessed last night

Joan Crawford really shines in this tale of descent into madness. What a great actress!

8 out of 10 user playboys
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

"Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes" - I give it a hearty *meh*. I am a huge lover of the series; the first 5 from Planet through Battle, and the two remakes of sorts; ok this centuries models. This one was nowhere near as dark and violent as it could've/should've been. A little sappy at times and the orangutan for some reason gave me Jar Jar Binks flashbacks. Had lots of potential too. Maybe they should have waited 10 years between this and the last one like they did between the last one and the new Planet with Marky Mark.
    *meh*
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I really liked the reboot with Marky Mark. I wish they had gone down that line where they ended it. It was prime for a sequel.

I didnt like the 2nd reboot and sounds like I wont like this 3rd one
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    ...and the orangutan for some reason gave me Jar Jar Binks flashbacks.
    Oh god... NO!

The Marky Mark Planet was a Tim Burton remake of the original 1967 Charleton Heston Planet.

That was forgettable.

Rise and dawn are reboots with CGI apes instead of monkey masks.

I like the idea.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I recently watched - and was enthralled by - Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man, a fascinating documentary from 2005. I've never seen one quite like this before: the story of Tim Treadwell, an unusual and somewhat disturbed man, who for thirteen summers lived among grizzly bears in the Alaskan wilderness, shooting over 100 hours of footage, before ultimately being killed (along with his girlfriend) and eaten by one of them.

Outstanding... I couldn't look away from this film, and I'd highly recommend it to any documentary fan, or simply to anyone who is intrigued by this tragic and compelling story.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Grizzly Man was a very good documentary. Herzog is a master. I recommend the soundtrack, which features instrumental guitar music from Richard Thompson with Henry Kaiser.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Giving Amazon Prime a free trial and was pondering which movie to see first...and an idea finally penetrated....

“Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

That's a Mad choice.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Working my way through the original Planet of the Apes movies on Amazon Prime . When I was a kid I didn't realize what a stinker Escape... was! Haven't seen any of these aside from the first in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Working my way through the original Planet of the Apes movies on Amazon Prime . When I was a kid I didn't realize what a stinker Escape... was! Haven't seen any of these aside from the first in ages.
    I watched that on amazon prime the other night also after my son came home from seeing Dawn otpota.

I thought it still packed a hearty punch although the current generation would find it laughable.
    What a bizarre concept the series was made out of.

They were showing the Apes movies on the Syfy Channel previous to the opening of Dawn. Escape did seem more cheesy than some of them. I still enjoy Beneath tPoA, I like the bomb-worshiping mutants, and wondered if they'd appear in the newer films. I thought Battle was still a pretty good sequel.

I'm really looking forward to Conquest and Battle because I haven't seen them in ages (especially Battle).

Escape came off like a TV movie, especially the part where the apes start wearing human clothes, etc.

I knew I was in for trouble when the credits in the beginning said "and Ricardo Montalban as Armando."

But it ALMOST redeems itself in the last third or so.

Just caught Sugarland Express on TCM..enjoyed it...TCM is probably THE BEST non premium/ pay channel on TV today..!!

They were showing the Apes movies on the Syfy Channel previous to the opening of Dawn. Escape did seem more cheesy than some of them. I still enjoy Beneath tPoA, I like the bomb-worshiping mutants, and wondered if they'd appear in the newer films. I thought Battle was still a pretty good sequel.
    Beneath was the very 1st movie I ever saw in a theater (saw the original at the drive in) I am very lucky to own a mint condition Planet of The Apes VHS Box Set..!!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The special effects on Gravity was spectacular. The movie itself was pretty good. A bit slow at parts.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Beneath was the very 1st movie I ever saw in a theater (saw the original at the drive in) I am very lucky to own a mint condition Planet of The Apes VHS Box Set..!!!
    Beneath is my favorite sequel. The first is in a class of its own. Considering its time, one of the best scifi's ever IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Beneath is my favorite sequel. The first is in a class of its own. Considering its time, one of the best scifi's ever IMO.

Hmmmm.,

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I recently watched - and was enthralled by - Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man, a fascinating documentary from 2005. I've never seen one quite like this before: the story of Tim Treadwell, an unusual and somewhat disturbed man, who for thirteen summers lived among grizzly bears in the Alaskan wilderness, shooting over 100 hours of footage, before ultimately being killed (along with his girlfriend) and eaten by one of them.
    Tim Treadwell definitely had a few screws loose. It WAS a very good, interesting documentary though! And as Spellbound said, very cool soundtrack too!

That's a Mad choice.
    A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad choice! I loved that movie so much when I was a kid that I had the soundtrack album.

RE: Planet of the Apes films: I liked 2011's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." Not great, but a good big screen movie. I'll probably try to see the new one before it leaves the theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    RE: Planet of the Apes films: I liked 2011's "Rise of the Planet of the Apes." Not great, but a good big screen movie. I'll probably try to see the new one before it leaves the theaters.
    I was amazed at how much I liked that one. I thought it would be beyond stupid, but I found it to be very good.

I didn't really care for the re-boot with Mark Wahlberg, and haven't checked out the new one yet, but you guys have me interested now in seeing the originals - I've never seen any of them.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

TCM is a great channel, I don't always enjoy everything they show or have the time, but they are a class act. I saw The Sugarland Express as well.

Ran across this podcast on films. They were discussing surreal films and Jodorowskys Dune if interested: http://podcastpickle.com/

I watched Conquest of the Planet of the Apes today. What makes no sense is that the apes that are enslaved are supposed to be regular apes from Africa, Borneo, etc., yet they all walk erect, can be taught to do all kinds of chores, etc. and they all have nearly human bodies. WTF?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I watched The Outlaw Josey Wales last night. It had been a long time since I saw it last. Great western. Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Lady Vengeance

The final installment of director Chan Wook Park's revenge trilogy chronicles the efforts of Lee Geum-ja to track down the man who betrayed her.

I woke up yesterday and said to myself...you know...I feel like watching a Korean revenge flick!! And by golly that's what I got with "Lady Vengeance". The first two in the trilogy, "Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance" and the very well known "Old Boy" were both stellar flicks and this one, although the weakest of the three...it just didnt have severe punch in the nuts like the others...was still excellent. I would highly recommend all three of these movies. Those Koreans sure know how to do their revenge!

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap