Page 63 of 316 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773113163 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched The Conjuring last night after ODing on The World Cup for the last couple of weeks, pretty standard demonic possession movie, few twists and turns you could see coming a mile off, mildly distracting. Think I'll go back to the soccer.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Saw 'The Straight Story' John Waters 'Hairspray' and 'Harry Dean Stanton - Partly Fiction' over the weekend. really enjoyed all 3. I've been following Stanton's career since 'Paris, Texas' and 'Repo Man'. the fascinating motherfucker plays harmonica backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Harry Dean Stanton.
    Rancho Deluxe
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Taken 3?

Any news?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Watched The Conjuring last night after ODing on The World Cup for the last couple of weeks, pretty standard demonic possession movie, few twists and turns you could see coming a mile off, mildly distracting.
    I thought it was a well done and pretty scary horror flick.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I saw The Angels' Share last night. A down and out Scottish lad, newly a father, gets a second chance. The story also involves fine Scotch whisky. What's not to like? A very good comedy drama filmed in Scotland.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Watched Pain & Gain, about 3 bodybuilding Florida Men who seek wealth by kidnapping and extortion from rich Miami residents in the mid 1990s. Based on a true story. Mark Wahlberg, who seems to be in almost every movie these days, Dwayne Johnson, Ed Harris, Tony Shalhoub. Manages to be both gruesome and funny. On the negative side, Michael Bay, who seems to want to annoy viewers of his movies. On the positive side, entertaining show that goes a long way toward explaining the fame of "Florida Man."
    Watched this last night.

An entertaining spin on a really dark & sordid true story.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    22 Jump Street - Way funnier than I expected. Some really laugh out loud moments.

I saw The Jersey Boys. A few years back, we saw the play, which was excellent. The buzz with this movie is no one under 50 would have any interest in seeing it, which was fine with me. Converting a musical to the screen is certainly tricky, the movie is uneven from a musical standpoint, but as a compelling story, I was pleased with the outcome.

What I was most interested in was the theatre was showing the movie with Dolby ATMOS audio technology. There were at least 50 audio speakers on the ceiling, back and sidewalls. The ticket price was no different than a regular-priced ticket. My hearing is not good enough to unequivalently state this technology is superior to 7.1, but it was a positive experience.

^Good review, Ken. I dislike Broadway musicals, but I like FV&4S music (was listening to some a few days ago) and I meet the age requirement So, if I see The Jersey Boys movie (I've never seen the play), you recommend I see it where there is good sound.

Grand Budapest Hotel--I loved this, but I'm a Wes Anderson junkie....his confections are right up my alley.

^Good review, Ken. I dislike Broadway musicals, but I like FV&4S music (was listening to some a few days ago) and I meet the age requirement So, if I see The Jersey Boys movie (I've never seen the play), you recommend I see it where there is good sound.
    The film is definitely more of a movie than a broadway musical. There is a reasonable quantity of singing/performing during the film, but the actors don't break out into song and dance like they did in the broadway show. As to the sound, I suppose any local cinema would have a decent enough sound system. This film was playing on two screens at a multiplex, one screen had the ATMOS technology, one did not. I chose the ATMOS screen, but once the movie started, I was engrossed in what was happening on the screen, and not focusing on all the speakers throughout the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg
    22 Jump Street - Way funnier than I expected. Some really laugh out loud moments.
    When I saw a positive review of 22 Jump Street recently, I learned that there was a previous movie, 21 Jump Street, that I had never seen or heard about, and that it was based on the TV series 21 Jump Street, that I had never watched. I somehow got it in my head that the TV show was about dancing, so I opted to skip it. I have some catching up to do. While I probably can't do anything about missing the TV series, I can seek out the movie 21 Jump Street while I wait for 22 Jump Street to make it to DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken
    As to the sound, I suppose any local cinema would have a decent enough sound system.
    My town has a fairly new theater complex (a year or two old) that is rumored to have great sound and is where they show all the movies that come out in 3D. I haven't been there because I watch most movies on DVD at home (to avoid idiots in the audience that talk on their phone through the whole movie, and to save money). The Jersey Boys might be a good excuse to check out their sound system. I don't know what ATMOS is, but I can find out if the theater has it.

Captain Phillips--Tom Hanks, I didn't expect to enjoy this, but thought it was pretty good, actually pretty intense as someone said overall. Good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Captain Phillips--Tom Hanks, I didn't expect to enjoy this, but thought it was pretty good, actually pretty intense as someone said overall.
    I think I was that someone. My lady practically had an anxiety attack while watching it!

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Captain Phillips--Tom Hanks, I didn't expect to enjoy this, but thought it was pretty good, actually pretty intense as someone said overall. Good movie.
    I dunno, that movie went on forever and everyone knew how it would play out.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

In the Heat of the Night

great film capturing the attitudes and mindset of a small southern US town in 1967

Rod Stieger is one heluva actor
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    In the Heat of the Night

great film capturing the attitudes and mindset of a small southern US town in 1967

Rod Stieger is one heluva actor
    Love that movie.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

When I saw a positive review of 22 Jump Street recently, I learned that there was a previous movie, 21 Jump Street, that I had never seen or heard about, and that it was based on the TV series 21 Jump Street, that I had never watched. I somehow got it in my head that the TV show was about dancing, so I opted to skip it. I have some catching up to do.
    I think you're confusing 21 Jump Street with Cop Rock.

My mom watched the TV show way back when. If I remember correctly, it was one of the first shows the Fox network had, back when it was only on one day a week, and only during the evening. The cast included a then mostly unknown Johnny Depp (whose big claim to fame up until then was being Freddy Kruger's third on-screen victim...he's memorably devoured by his own bed, which then sprays a fountain of blood) and two of Dom DeLuise's sons.

I looked up the TV series 21 Jump Street, and it ran from 1987-1991. I wasn't watching much, if any, TV from 1980-1995. Not listening to much radio, either. So, I either missed a lot, or I only missed the '80s, depending on how you look at it.

I just saw the movie 21 Jump Street. My wife and I both thought it was pretty funny. Looking forward to seeing 22 Jump Street when it is available on DVD.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    A few that might not have been mentioned:

Some Like it Hot
    Sergeant York
    The Conversation
    The Big Street

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears
    Grand Budapest Hotel--I loved this, but I'm a Wes Anderson junkie....his confections are right up my alley.
    Fantastic. I'm thankful that Wes Anderson doesn't make movies the same as everyone else does. A wizard. A true star.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    A few that might not have been mentioned:

Some Like it Hot
    Sergeant York
    The Conversation
    The Big Street
    Those are all good movies which I enjoy as well. Haven't seen The Big Street however.