Page 58 of 316 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast
Results 1,426 to 1,450 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I dont remember my reaction on my first viewing of the Third Man as I was pretty young. But today I find it to be a top notch film, fascinating location shots, top shelf cast and acting, mystery suspense and the like, a 10 of 10 for me. I'll still pause when surfing if I stumble on to it and watch it out. If just for the "cookoo clock " speech its an essential movie. its one of Orson Welles best roles. In a sea of best roles.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I haven't seen it. Complete dreck.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Frozen - Cute animated flick with some chuckles, but a little too much singing for my tastes The nieces all loved it though and that's all that matters Its definitely no How to Train Your Dragon or Despicable Me

6 out of 10 amusing snowmen
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I was surprised at how good How to Train Your Dragon was. The animation (especially the flying scenes) was breath-taking.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post

Frozen - Cute animated flick with some chuckles, but a little too much singing for my tastes The nieces all loved it though and that's all that matters Its definitely no How to Train Your Dragon or Despicable Me

6 out of 10 amusing snowmen
    We got Frozen a week or so ago & watched it with my daughter (23), I had to go do something else as soon as the first song started, it had everything about Disney that makes my skin crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I was surprised at how good How to Train Your Dragon was. The animation (especially the flying scenes) was breath-taking.
    Both How To Train Your Dragon & Despicable Me are excellent & bear repeat watchings.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I actually enjoyed the singing. I was impressed with the quality of the vocals, lyrics and even the musical composition. The story, itself, was a little lacklustre, and the snowman seemed ridiculous to me. But, my one-year-old enjoyed it for the musical aspect.

I need to get my hands on the other two to see if they can entertain my daughter. Rio was not a big hit with her, but I thought it was kinda' cute.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Despicable Me 2 is also quite good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Despicable Me 2 is also quite good.
    Agree!

But of course, I'm a sucker for those animated "family" movies that have as much humor for the adults as they do for the kiddies. Some of the funniest movies around today.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    the snowman seemed ridiculous to me.
    this was my favorite character in the movie. Gave me a few good laughs.

Brave was another one I enjoyed.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I haven't seen it. Complete dreck.
    I can see how some might think this, considering Wells never made a movie wearing his underware outside of his pants.

Truth be told, I'd most likely dig The Third Man. I've just been waiting to offer a thoughtful review of a film I've never seen.

Speaking of wearing your underwear on the outside, I finally caught Kick-Ass 2 last night. Not even close to the brilliance of the first one. Lame TV-movie execution with some unnecessary gags and a HORRIBLE soundtrack. What a shame as Kick-Ass is such a great flick.

4.5 out of 10 SickSticks.

this was my favorite character in the movie. Gave me a few good laughs.

Brave was another one I enjoyed.
    Okay, maybe "ridiculous" is not quite the right word. The snowman was a good character. But, I felt he was completely out of place with the rest of the film--both the animation style, and the personality of the character, seemed to belong to a different film.

Watched; At Middleton after seeing a preview. I liked it. Stars Andy Garcia and Vera Farmiga as parents bringing thier kids to a college tour without thier respective spouses. Opposites attract and Garcia's uptight charactor gets involved with the free wheeling Farmiga charactor. The whole thing takes place in an afternoon. A movie populated by likable and interesting charactors, funny in places, though not played as a comedy, sad in others. Adult themes , adult emotions, worth a view IMO. 8 of 10.
    Garcia has done some interesting work in his later carreer, a standout was the fairly recent City Island , another charactor study with laughs and drama. Also well worth the invstment of time and another 8 of 10.

Mine the indie collection at Netflix and some real gems can appear. One such was Daily Special a 2009 indie I watched last night. Plot line, youngish assistant chef plans of a Paris career enhancing apprenticeship trip is sidelined by a family illness. He then must work in the family resturant to fill in. In the process he learns about life, himself, his role in the family dynamic,etc etc. It really comes across well though. The hook is the main charactor is Indian (India Indian) as well as a good portion of the cast. The film is polished and engaging, not to heavy on the ethnic angle, instead concintrating on universal feelings. Both the wife and I really liked this one. 8.5 of 10.

Man Hunt--1941 Fritz Lang movie, supposedly came out six months before our involvement in WWII. About a guy that's hunting in the Bavaria, thought to be an assassin when he runs into Adolph Hitler, captured & left for dead. But escapes, trialed back to England to be killed. Pretty interesting.

Rabid--early Cronenberg film, about a woman injured in a motorcycle wreck. She's taken to a hospital and later develops some type of mutated orifice or stinger under her arm that she uses like a vampire to feed on other people or spread the disease. Ok horror.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Rabid--early Cronenberg film, about a woman injured in a motorcycle wreck. She's taken to a hospital and later develops some type of mutated orifice or stinger under her arm that she uses like a vampire to feed on other people or spread the disease. Ok horror.
    Starring Marilyn Chambers. Yes, THAT Marilyn Chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Starring Marilyn Chambers. Yes, THAT Marilyn Chambers.
    Cool movie. I like Cronenberg's style of "organic" horror. eXistenZ sucked, though.

Finally saw Gravity. I see why it was popular, it moves right along. The effects are good, its well directed and Sandra Bullock in zero gravity in her underware is fun. Big budjet hollywood flash, gets an 8 of 10 for me.

Saw this doc on Hammer studios, and thought it was pretty well done.

A Fist Full Of Dollars
    Not his best (The Good, The Bad and The Ugly might win those honors) but his first spag western...I had problems staying awake though it. Not saying it was bad, far from it...the way "Joe" played everyone against each other was great...just a little anemic. And I use the word anemic in the pure sense of the word...there was tons of "killin" but not an ounce of blood. The occasional blood stained face looked like caked on red makeup. The death poses of men getting shot were classic though...holding there hands over their heart, grimacing in pain while grasping their heads, taking way to long to fall down after being riddled with gantling gun ordnance...this is the kind of crap we used to mimic when we were 8 years old playing soldiers. Still interesting to see the dawn of the Clint "man with no name" persona being created. In fact, Clint was actually pretty talkative in this movie...unlike his more stoic character in later films. All said and done...7 out of 10 chewed up small cigars.

G.I. Joe:Retaliation
    I liked it...what can I say. The extended chase scene on the mountain face using nothing but wires was totally shit hot...especially with the red-shirted adversaries dropping like flys in a video games. Not as good as Dredd (what is...what can be???) that we saw the week before but you cant really duplicate true genius...can you? Oh, Bruce Willis...brilliant!!! 7 out of 10 irregular Joes.

Fargo
    To be honest, I thought this movie would have held up better, maybe even improve with age...but somehow the ending seemed rushed and unfinished. I remember loving this in the theaters back when it was released (1996) and since Karen never saw it...I jumped at the chance at watching it again. The writing, acting and dialog were still great (especially Frances McDormand who was outstanding in this!) but...over they years it lost some of its "quirkieness" factor which I'm sure was quite high back at it's initial release. Maybe its my own biased prejudice being a jaded/snobbish movie fan and all. Still, 7.5 out of 10 wood chippers

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    A Fistful of Dollars is brilliant. Love it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm a bit late in the game but I'll throw 2 of my ever ever ever favorites.

The italians aren't only sublime in music but also in movies:

Cinema Paradiso (Cinema Paradise)
    Lo Meglio Gioventú (The Best Of Youth)

I reckon the first is well known, while the 2nd not so much, hence my Gentle & Friendly advice: Don't go reading any spoilers, er, I mean, teasers -- they will ruin you the 6 hours blast you are about to get into.

Worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Totally obsessive movie fans.

This week I watched The Raven - with John Cussack as E.A. Poe - loved it!
    Also watched Don't Be Afraid of the Dark - with Guy Pearce - what a shit film!
    And finally got round to watching ALL of 1408 - (also John Cussack) but what a boring, unnecessary long film, and such a weak ending.

My favourite Italian films are

1. Mediterraneo - about a squad of Italian soldiers during WWII initially stranded on a Greek island but very quickly making themselves very comfortable there with the locals
    2. La leggenda del santo bevitore - The Legend of the Holy Drinker (Rutger Hauer)
    3. Cinema Paradiso
    4. Il Postino
    5. La vita e bella - Life is Beautiful - Jewish-Italian man and his son in a Nazi death camp.