Page 51 of 316 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101151 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Anybody in here see "Her?"

I liked as a whole, but felt like it was overrated (since it - and Nebraska - has more or less been the "film enthusiast" pick as best picture, among the Oscar nominees). I had a hard time getting past the fact that the virtual person was an operating system - a commercially-available product. I mean, wouldn't this sort of phenomenon (which the film indicates was happening to a fair amount of users) have been beta-tested? Isn't this grounds for one fo the biggest class-action lawsuits of all time? I would have liked it more if the main character himself was a computer programmer and created this on his own.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Gravity at the weekend, graphically gorgeous but a bit on the slow side, I find Bullock can't really carry a movie like this, Clooney was pretty good though.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire--enjoyed it, sequel to the original. I just like the world building.
    I thought it was better than the first one, but it's not saying much since I couldn't stand that film. I swore I would not pay to see the 2nd movie, but made the mistake of trusting all the critics and the hype. I don't think either film is bad movie making, but I just can't buy into the story or the characters. Wish I got this, but I don't. I swear, I will not pay to see movie # 3. Yea, famous last words....

Saw 300: Rise of an Empire". As visual a feast as this is, I came away a little bored by it all. It's lots of sea battles this time. I don't think the male lead was any bit as charasmatic as in the first film, but they killed him off so... The female lead though was terrific, and was some eye candy too. I think I expected more from this.

As to old classics, I saw "The Kid" from 1921, a Charlie Chaplin classic silent. I don't know, I think I laughed at one scene, which was a fight between the kid, a young Uncle Festor (Jackie Coogan) and an older boy. Cool for what it is, but I wasn't all that crazy about this.

Also saw the Tracy/Hepburn film "Adam's Rib", which I liked a lot. No wonder these two did so many movies together, one of the great movie tandems ever. The opening attempted murder scene is rather shocking for a 1949 film. Great banter of course between Tracy and Hepburn, but good support cast as well. Interesting hearing all these "women's rights" comments in a film decades before the feminist movement. Though much of it is actually for comic appeal. Good film.

I didn't like the whole video game battle scenes in the first 300. You know with all that CGI and freeze frame crap. Was this recent one more of the same?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    The Great Gatsby (2013)

I had no intention of seeing this one, but I let it roll on HBO after missing the first 15 minutes. I thought it was equal parts hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. Leo fits the role like a glove, but really too well, he plays Jay Gatsby like he was meant to be played, over the top, just like Jay's real life story was supposed to be-fake it till you make it. But here he still comes across as a grand phony to me, so maybe that is just great acting by Leo or he was just a real bad casting choice. I am still not sure if I will ever know.

The sets and costumes were fantastically over the top, some really cool CGI also. Some of the music was jarringly out of place, but I hear Jay Z was involved so there ya go. Not all bad, just not a good fit IMV.

Most of it had to be farce, it was just filled with spine cringing moments that played like SNL skits, just absurd.

Please tell me it was all farce...

6 out of 10 personalized invitations from JG
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    Also saw the Tracy/Hepburn film "Adam's Rib", which I liked a lot. No wonder these two did so many movies together, one of the great movie tandems ever. The opening attempted murder scene is rather shocking for a 1949 film. Great banter of course between Tracy and Hepburn, but good support cast as well. Interesting hearing all these "women's rights" comments in a film decades before the feminist movement. Though much of it is actually for comic appeal. Good film.
    definitely!

Look who's coming to dinner springs immediately to mind
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I didn't like the whole video game battle scenes in the first 300. You know with all that CGI and freeze frame crap. Was this recent one more of the same?
    It's the same style, so if you didn't like the first, the sequel is not for you. As to CGI, that's the whole point of these films, it gives them their whole look, and enhances the stylized violence. Otherwise it would be a bloody, unwatchable mess. Think Sin City without the CGI, I'd never watch that. As to the freeze frame, again, it's intentional, I quite like the use of it for these films.

The American

Great character study of an American hitman who has simply had enough. The story unfolds in a very slow zen-like manner and, at the end, you can really empathize with this guy. This is not an action film although there is some of that...more a fishbowl observation of a man who has reached his breaking point and wanting desperately not to take that final step over the edge. 8 out of 10 high powered rifle assembly primers.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Like The American a lot, excellent stuff.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Oh boy! Get the popcorn ready!! YAYAYA! YAYAYA! I'm squealing like a kid at Christmas!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I'll love it if it's anything like Cloverfield, Paulie, and by that clip it looks like it! These movies (if done without annoyingly trendy, comic book flare bullshit) bring out the rabbit-eared, turn-dialed, pre-cable TV kid in me...can't wait!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yep, we're peas in a pod when it comes to giant monster destruction flicks Klonky! LOVED Cloverfield.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

TCM had novelist and writer of The Wire, George Pelecanos, as their programmer last night. All of his picks were good ones and I enjoy his commentary as well. They started last night with the Robert Duvall/ Joe Don Baker movie, The Outfit, which I'd seen not too long ago. Good action movie.

They followed it with The Seven-Ups, which I don't think I'd seen all the way thru, good movie.

That was followed by Monty Wash, which I enjoy westerns, but this one took me about half the movie to get into, and eventually enjoyed it after it ended. It had Lee Marvin in it. Sort of light humors, but also melancholy too. I think there was a Cass Eliot song in it too.

The last movie was another western, Ride The High Country, which I'd seen recently, but it's a good movie, with good scenery, if you enjoy westerns.

The Seven Ups !
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Oh boy! Get the popcorn ready!! YAYAYA! YAYAYA! I'm squealing like a kid at Christmas!
    Walter White (aka Heisenberg) vs. Godzilla? No way! Gotta see it!

Watched American Hustle tonight and thoroughly enjoyed this 70s con caper comedy.

Big for authentic 70s costume & set design, not to mention a slamming soundtrack.

Fantastic acting by a fine ensemble.

I heard the new Godzilla willnot only feature Matthew Broddrick but his charming mate Sahra J Parker as the worlds foremost lizard scientest.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    his charming mate Sahra J Parker
    Why the long face?

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

anyone see The Book Thief? a nice adaption of a great novel. I thought Sophie Nélisse deserved an Oscar nod for her portrayal of Liesel. the war scenes in the end were too clean but overall, I highly recommend both the book and the movie.

watched August: Osage County. sometimes, I have a habit of overlooking the character played versus the actor/actress. I did this again with Meryl but after awhile I forgot who I was watching. not a happy movie by any means.

Dallas Buyers Club was excellent. I didn't think I would like it but that changed quickly. Gravity was okay. didn't care much for the story but the visuals were terrific.

watched an old Jean Simmons movie called The Happy Ending with Shirley Jones and John Forsythe. Jean never looked better. worth it just to see a fucked up Tina Louise say "shit".

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Watched American Hustle tonight and thoroughly enjoyed this 70s con caper comedy.

Big for authentic 70s costume & set design, not to mention a slamming soundtrack.

Fantastic acting by a fine ensemble.
    couldn't agree more.
    i.ain't.dead.irock

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post

Dallas Buyers Club was excellent. I didn't think I would like it but that changed quickly. Gravity was okay. didn't care much for the story but the visuals were terrific.
    After watching Dallas Buyers Club I can easily see why the 2 actor oscars went to these guys. Good movie for sure.

Gravity needed to be 1/2 hour longer. There was about 1/2 hour of previews shown before the movie, then only 93 minutes of film, 10 of which was credits. Great effects while it lasted, but too short.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    anyone see The Book Thief? a nice adaption of a great novel. I thought Sophie Nélisse deserved an Oscar nod for her portrayal of Liesel. the war scenes in the end were too clean but overall, I highly recommend both the book and the movie.
    My wife and I loved this film. Very well done. I don't think the "cleanliness" of the war scenes detracted at all, but I've not read the book, so maybe it compares poorly to how it was done in the book. I thought the acting, throughout, was excellent, as was the cinematography. Definitely a highly recommended film.

I've read where The Book Thief is something a child might enjoy? I have a daughter who is about to turn 12 - do you guys think she would be too young for it?

Based on the subject matter, I didn't really think it was appropriate, but I'd love your opinions. Thanks!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Yep, we're peas in a pod when it comes to giant monster destruction flicks Klonky! LOVED Cloverfield.
    Cloverfield was very good, I was hoping for a sequel, that one left a lot of unanswered questions. Plus it's an excuse for another giant mosnter flick. I also really liked "Pacific Rim", a movie that was far better than it deserved to be. I was instantly 10 years old again watching that.

But the new Godzilla? The trailer looks incredible, like they did everything right this time. Or they saw how everything was done so horribly wrong with the 1998 Godzilla, and want us to forget that movie ever existed. I'm VERY excited about this, and thankfully we only have to wait until May. It's very cool that they reference the events of 1954, though I'm thinking this is not any kind of sequel to the original classic. They did give the lead actor from that a cameo, nice move by the studio.

That Godzilla trailer beamed me back to "Monster Week" on the 4:30 movies!

check this out - http://monstermemories.blogspot.com/2009/02/monster-week-on-ch-7.html

I thought The Host (2006) was a pretty good return to form.