Page 44 of 316 FirstFirst ... 344041424344454647485494144 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Watched the original Manchurian Canadate last night on TCM. Not my first viewing. This is a 9 of 10 for me. Sinatra was at his movie carreer peak, and even through the ominously heavy atmosphere in this one , his charisma stands out. This is an excellently casted movie. Angela Lansbury is a totally menevolent menace . "Good old Inspector Luger" is tops. Every charactor no matter how small shines. Its a cold war era flick, but with a unique approach. Sinatra pulled this movie from circulation for decades after Kennedy was assinated. It became available again in the 90's IIRC. A classic that should be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Watched the original Manchurian Canadate last night on TCM. Not my first viewing. This is a 9 of 10 for me. Sinatra was at his movie carreer peak, and even through the ominously heavy atmosphere in this one , his charisma stands out. This is an excellently casted movie. Angela Lansbury is a totally menevolent menace . "Good old Inspector Luger" is tops. Every charactor no matter how small shines. Its a cold war era flick, but with a unique approach. Sinatra pulled this movie from circulation for decades after Kennedy was assinated. It became available again in the 90's IIRC. A classic that should be seen.
    Another film Sinatra pulled from circulation was Suddenly. In that one he played a presidential assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    We started watching Big Trouble In Little China last night but we couldn't make it all the way through. I suppose the fight scenes were fun, though pretty cheesy by today's standards. Kurt Russell's acting was pretty annoying.
    Those are all the things I love about that movie.
    Yeah, the whole point of the film was cheese. It's a good drinking flick.

Russell's Escape From New York was only very slightly more serious a film. Just as campy, but in a darker way.

Yep...campy classics for sure. Not to mention the latter had the lovely Adrienne Barboobies...I mean Barbeau.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    ...Adrienne Barboobies...I mean Barbeau.
    Ah... then you gotta see The Convent campy "horror" at its least-funded best. Truly distasteful fun, with dollar-store special effects. Even has Coolio in it!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched "The Butler" last night. Good story.

Another silly movie with Adrienne Barbeau is Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death. It also features Bill Maher and former Playboy playmate Shannon Tweed. A low budget comedy from 1989 that is at least as good as the title implies.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    We started watching Big Trouble In Little China last night but we couldn't make it all the way through. I suppose the fight scenes were fun, though pretty cheesy by today's standards. Kurt Russell's acting was pretty annoying.
    “Big Trouble” is one of those movies that is so bad that it is good. I can certainly understand why someone might not like it, but I dug it. John Carpenter in general is a bit of an acquired taste, but I like most of what he has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Ah... then you gotta see The Convent campy "horror" at its least-funded best. Truly distasteful fun, with dollar-store special effects. Even has Coolio in it!
    Oh it's been seen

Swamp Thing is another gem.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I watched that last night as well, it helps that I'm from Newcastle, they certainly get the grittiness right, excellent movie.
    one other movie in this realm of story line that is much faster paced and humorous as well is The Limey. The Limey is like Get Carter on steroids
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    one other movie in this realm of story line that is much faster paced and humorous as well is The Limey. The Limey is like Get Carter on steroids
    + 1 on The Limey

Re-watched The Sting last night, and I thought it held up well despite it's unfeasible and campy plot.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Haven't seen The Limey but I'll check it out.

Watched an hour doc on (Stephen) Hawking--doc about career and home life.

Sunshine Daydream--sort of homemade concert from the Grateful Dead around the 1972 period. They sounded great.

Have Gun Will Travel--watching a few eps. in this old western series staring Richard Boone, still worth a watch.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think True Detective looks promising but it hasn't grabbed me yet (still is interesting). I went on the Six Feet Under marathon and watched all five seasons. A really above average HBO series.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Big Trouble in Little China is a stone-cold classic. LOVED Russell's (intentionally) deadpan delivery here! That whole flick epitomizes the phrase "tongue in cheek."

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think True Detective looks promising but it hasn't grabbed me yet (still is interesting). I went on the Six Feet Under marathon and watched all five seasons. A really above average HBO series.
    LOVE True Detective. Acting chops galore! Six Feet Under is one of my all-time faves. I love HBO-Go. Almost every series HBO's ever produced from start to finish streamed right over my Apple-TV in glorious hi-def. Can't beat it! I just finished both seasons of the sublime Carnivale. What a trip!
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Thanks!! I love this doc, as I love Slasher films.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I am digging “True Detective” mainly because I don’t have a clue where they are going with it. The acting is outstanding as well.

Regarding “Six Feet Under” in my opinion the final episode was the best ending for a drama ever in the history of TV. The last couple of minutes was just the perfect way to end that show. Really, the whole final season was really outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I just finished both seasons of the sublime Carnivale. What a trip!
    I have always wanted to check out "Carnivale", but never have. Wasn't that one kind of like "Deadwood" in that it got cancelled and just kind of left everything hanging?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have always wanted to check out "Carnivale", but never have. Wasn't that one kind of like "Deadwood" in that it got cancelled and just kind of left everything hanging?
    They completely rushed the ending, it seemed like they knew it was going to be canned. The show had alot of potential and creepy atmosphere galore...but that ending was B team writers caliber...to bad, it had loads of potential.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Bad Boy Bubby--weird experimental, exploitation, something to offend everybody started out slow as a Lynch-like film, but changed pace once it got going. There were a few scenes that made me laugh out loud.

Watched Salmon Fishing In Yeman . Actually a pretty good flic. Stars Ewan McGregor and Emily Blunt. Concerns a shiek who spends millions to import a starter colony of salmon who will run and spawn in the Yemen desert. Its about commitment, faith , relationship. I'de give it 8 of 10.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am digging “True Detective” mainly because I don’t have a clue where they are going with it. The acting is outstanding as well.

Regarding “Six Feet Under” in my opinion the final episode was the best ending for a drama ever in the history of TV. The last couple of minutes was just the perfect way to end that show. Really, the whole final season was really outstanding.
    Fully agreed on both shows. Six Feet Under is my favourite series of all time. The final four episodes especially were just incredible.

I really enjoyed one that was on several years back called Carnivale but it was cancelled after the second season.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I watched the Oscar nominated Swedish film The Hunt last night.

Touchy subject matter about child abuse handled righteously,with powerhouse acting and beautiful cinematography.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

The Hunt, I heard it was good too and added it to my queue.

Wondered if anyone had seen The Ipcress File with Michael Caine or The Spy Who Came in From the Cold? Sort of in the mood for an espionage film.

The Ipcress File is very good. IIRC Caines' breakthrough role . Barly remember TSWCIFTC. But I think its dated, not in a good way , Ipcress is also dated ,but in a good way.
    3 Days of The Condor is a pretty good spy flick too.