Page 3 of 316 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Took the kids to see Rise of the Guardians this weekend. Fell asleep during the middle of it, just like i did with Wreck-it Ralph two weeks ago.

We really need a sequel to The Incredibles.

Screened the Zombieland Blu-ray for the youngest daughter (12) that same evening. She loved it. Aside from the opening sequence (i.e., stripper zombies ), it was no more objectionable or inappropriate than the garbage they show on the Nick channels).

Can't wait for The Hobbit...
    I saw Wreck-It Ralph a few weeks ago with my brother. We both liked it. Sarah Silverman was very funny as the little girl. Me, my brother, and some of his friends saw Texas Chainsaw 3D tonight. It picks up where the original 1974 film leaves off. I enjoyed it, but the other people I was with didn't. It has a surprise twist at the end that you just won't believe. I am looking to the new Die Hard and G.I Joe movies coming out.

I understand another chapter of "Seven Up! Now we are 56" documentary series is coming out. Any fans?

Finally saw The Dark Knight Rises this past weekend. It was overly long, but the resolution was more than satisfactory.

Having not seen it, I avoided most of the discussion about it when it was out. Was the little comment at the end about Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character an indication of something to come (trying to avoid spoilers here), or was it just a throwaway?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I am looking to the new Die Hard...coming out.
    Really? Isn't Willis too old for that franchise, now? He's no Stallone (but, Stallone isn't really Stallone any more without chemical assistance).

The original Die Hard was playing on HBO over the Christmas/New Years break. Man, what a great holiday movie, especially without half of it getting bleeped out.

I could just care less about these old action stars' new movies: Ahnold, Sly, Bruce. I'd much rather see Jason Statham, Jeremy Renner, Daniel Craig, Matt Damon...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Really? Isn't Willis too old for that franchise, now? He's no Stallone (but, Stallone isn't really Stallone any more without chemical assistance).
    Hey, I think that Bruce looked better in the last Die Hard(Live Free Or Die Hard) than in the first three. Has he given up smoking? Just asking, because the first three Die Hard movies had him making a comment that he was out of shape, and should quit smoking. He looked more buff in Live Free Or Die Hard, and not as "plain". What I mean that the first three Die Hard movies had him looking like those NY everyday Joe beat cops compared to his more slimmer frame in the last Die Hard movie. According to IMDB, Patrick Stewart has a rumored role as a Russian general. It would be cool to see him as a bad guy in that movie. I liked his villain role in Conspiracy Theory. I would like to see the new Die Hard movie first, and then make the judgement if Bruce still has what it takes.

Hey, I think that Bruce looked better in the last Die Hard(Live Free Or Die Hard) than in the first three. Has he given up smoking?
    He might have been on a health kick for a bit, I have no idea. But, did you see him Expendables 2? For that matter, did you see any of them in that film? Even Statham looked a bit under the weather. But, I guess they all were in top shape compared to Schwarzenegger.

The first one was kinda' fun, the second was about as tired as the actors looked.

Just watched God Bless America . Very good satire with uncomfortable storyline. It involves a killing spree with shootings in movie theaters, TV shows etc. The theater scene is not exploiting the real life event as the movie precedes the real life event. The 80s comic Bobcat Goldwaith wrote and directed this and turns out a surprisingly good movie. Its a statement against the stupidifying (spell I cant) and desensitising of America with well placed shots at celebrity worship, reality shows, greed ,religious intolerance,TMZ, and the just plain rudeness that has become the norm. I didnt forget this movie right after turning off the set, it stayed with me for awhile, the mark of a decent movie to me. Its not a comedy, but its not unfunny. It was worth my 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by UnephenStephen View Post
    saw Looper recently and even though i liked it, there's was one thing that didn't make sense to me. after old Joe comes back to 2044 and escapes from young Joe by throwing a gold brick at him (he could do this because he did NOT have a hood over his head), young Joe is chased by the bad guys through his apartment and falls from the fire escape onto a car while old Joe watches (he's still in the past). then the screen goes blank and now suddenly old Joe reappears in 2044 this time wearing a hood where he is shot and killed by young Joe. then only at this point they show young Joe living his life through the next 30 yrs where he is eventually caught by the bad guys, escapes then sends himself back WITHOUT a hood on his head. huh? what circumstances led to old Joe coming back to 2044 a second time and under different circumstances (with the hood on)?
    other than that i liked the twist involving the Rainmaker guy.
    no Looper fans who can answer this?
    Last edited by UnephenStephen; 01-08-2013 at 12:37 PM.
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

I saw this a couple nights ago and thought it was pretty good:

Last Days Here

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    As a lifelong fan of "Giant-Monster-Wrecks-City-and-the-Military-Throws-Everything-They-Got-at-it" movies (i.e the insanely great Cloverfield) AND Guillermo del Toro, I am really looking forward to this one:

I could do without the giant robots, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Wow, Paulie. That looks pretty damn cool!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I saw an interesting movie last weekend; "World's Greatest Dad." I don't want to say too much about it except that Robin Williams is the lead, it's a "dark comedy" and the storyline is most unusual; never seen another film quite like it. It certainly qualifies as a social commentary.

BTW, I saw "Hancock" on the tube recently. I'd seen it before, but my girlfriend's daughter never had so I watched it again with her. It's one of those "starts out great but they dropped the ball somewhere along the way" kinda movies. I loved the first half, but somewhere in the middle, it morphs from being a pretty funny comedy to a silly and stupid drama. It almost seemed like they changed the screenwriter and director halfway through. How does that happen?!

I had the same impression of Hancock, Ernie. Like two different movies.

Banned
    Who has heard of and/or seen movies called The Stuff, The House Where Evil Dwells, The Club, Vamp, or Prime Evil? Found those movies on Netflix.

Watched 2011s Killer Joe last night. Has Matthew McConaughey in the against type title role. His easy style translates well to a sociopathic hitman /cop. Thomas Haden Church good as a witless hillbilly.Gina Gershon very sexy and ultra slutty. Lots of nudity, more than the plot line requires,the film is uncomfortable in a good way, decent suspense,violent. The Jerry Springer people in greedy overdrive ,a son plots the murder of his mothher for insurance , aided by family. McConaughey is the hired gun. Cross ,double and triple cross. 3 out of 4 stars for me.

And the 2012 Oscar nominations are:

Amour
    Argo
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Django
    Miserables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Silver Lining Playbook
    0 Dark 30

Saw a screening of Silver Linings Playbook and thought it was brilliant.
    "I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about."
    - Peter Griffin ("Family Guy")

Watched a couple of zombie movies recently - Stakeland (okay, vampires) and Exit Humanity. Stakeland had some interesting elements I hadn't seen in a zombie/vampire apocalypse movie before, but really kind of went nowhere. Exit Humanity I thought was pretty decent - or at least had something that I liked. A few moments of brilliance, a few moments of lame dialogue that surprised me considering how good I thought some parts of it were. A bit uneven in that respect. And the "bad guy" did some ridiculously bad acting. But the basic idea of being set just after the American Civil War was a bit of a change from most zombie movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    But the basic idea of being set just after the American Civil War was a bit of a change from most zombie movies.
    A zombie period-piece? I'm intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    And the 2012 Oscar nominations are:

Amour
    Argo
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Django
    Miserables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Silver Lining Playbook
    0 Dark 30
    The only one I've seen is "Life of Pi." I loved the book and I thought the movie was about the best film adaptation of a book that I've ever seen.

I don't know if Zero Dark Thirty is Oscar winning material. I thought it was a good film, and pretty well done, but I wonder if it's the subject matter and controversy in Congress at the moment, that's got it on the Oscar list.

I hear Les Miserables is fantastic, but I've only seen the promo clips.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    A zombie period-piece? I'm intrigued.
    Also there Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, also set in pre civil war and during the civil war. Its a 2012 pic ,special effects heavy, good production. Kinda like the Van Helsing movie. 2 out of 4. But fun.

I saw an interesting movie last weekend; "World's Greatest Dad." I don't want to say too much about it except that Robin Williams is the lead, it's a "dark comedy" and the storyline is most unusual; never seen another film quite like it. It certainly qualifies as a social commentary.
    I thought this movie was awesome. Dark humor no doubt and really well done. Robin Williams was fantastic.

A similar dark-humor style of movie I'd highly recommend is 'Wristcutters : A Love Story'. yes you read that right.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Who has heard of and/or seen movies called The Stuff, The House Where Evil Dwells, The Club, Vamp, or Prime Evil? Found those movies on Netflix.
    The Stuff ? The classic low budget horror film? (with Chocolate Chip Charlie?) Ben considering picking up a used copy of this.

Prime Evil? About the giant gator? Not bad, as I recall.