Page 39 of 316 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

I never really got into westerns, even though I had a lot of exposure to them as my grandfather was always watching them when I was a kid. But, I really did enjoy Unforgiven.

Got the chance to watch Grudge Match last night. Silvester Stallone, Robert DeNiro, and Alan Arkin. Not an award winning film, but I thought it was whole a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Tried to get these on Netflix, Pursued is not available, nor Dual In The Sun, Garden of Evil and a few of the others. I've seen Yellow Sky, its very good. I think I copied it from TCM. Garden Of Evil I also saw on NF but barely remember. The others I may have seen but cant remember. Even if tittles arent available from netfix ,alot of them show up on TCM. My netflix search did fill my que though. I loaded up on Anthoney Mann flicks as well as Samual Fuller flicks. Both are outstanding directors with a fondness for off kilter charactors and stories. Fuller has some memerable psuedo noirs , will be watching the Scarlet Kimono again, great cop flic.
    Sorry to hear they're not available on NF but they are worth seeking out. A couple other Anthony Mann westerns not mentioned are Devil's Doorway, The Tall Target, and The Furies. All good. These were before the westerns with Jimmy Stewart, and right after Mann's noir phase, with lingering elements of noir in them. One of my favorite Mann films, Men in War, is soon being released on blu-ray.

Samuel Fuller. I like Pickup on South Street and The Big Red One but by and large his others don't work for me. I've seen quite a lot of them but no go.

A Bronson western that a friend recommended to me was The White Buffalo w/Kim Novak. It's not on DVD, so about the only way to see it now is YT. Pretty good. I see they also have Telefon, which I haven't seen. Thanks for the rec.

The Nickel Ride I bought from Amazon.
    It came with another 70s flick called 99 and 44/100% Dead, which I'm going to watch tonight.

Ok thanks, I'll check that out. I've not seen Prime Cut either & I see where NF does carry that one. I've not seen The Laughing Policeman either.

I have a dozen or more films on the DVR that I need to get to (including one I really want to see - "Place Beyond The Pines")... so what did I do today? Re-watched my "Glengarry Glen Ross" DVD. What can I say, I love that film so much!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"Samuel Fuller. I like Pickup on South Street and The Big Red One but by and large his others don't work for me. I've seen quite a lot of them but no go. "

I really like ;The Crimson Kimono, and House Of Bamboo. HOB has a dandy climactic shootout.
    The Tall Target involves the Lincoln assination ? Think I saw it long ago. I'll be wathching for the others.... did find The Furies.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    "Samuel Fuller. I like Pickup on South Street and The Big Red One but by and large his others don't work for me. I've seen quite a lot of them but no go. "

I really like ;The Crimson Kimono, and House Of Bamboo. HOB has a dandy climactic shootout.
    The Tall Target involves the Lincoln assination ? Think I saw it long ago. I'll be wathching for the others.... did find The Furies.
    The Tall Target is about a police officer guarding against Lincoln being assassinated early in his presidency.

Since the thread is film, how about film documentaries? While having dinner tonight I rewatched a favorite of mine: I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale. This is a touching documentary about Cazale, the master actor who appeared in only 5 films-The Godfather I& II, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon & The Deer Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Since the thread is film, how about film documentaries? While having dinner tonight I rewatched a favorite of mine: I Knew It Was You: Rediscovering John Cazale. This is a touching documentary about Cazale, the master actor who appeared in only 5 films-The Godfather I& II, The Conversation, Dog Day Afternoon & The Deer Hunter.
    Every single one of which was nominated for Best Picture!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    FREDO!!!!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Watched the first episode to Carl Sagan's Cosmos, still a worthwhile series. You can catch a steamer on YT.

I revisited the first BBC Sherlock, as PBS started rebroadcasting them in anticipation of the newer season. Really cool, looking forward to the new season on Jan. 19th. They are definitely worth watching more than once, as Cumberbatch has such fast talking dialogue. After that I watched another British comedy that I'll look forward too. It was called Spy. I found it pretty funny and fresh. Sort of mix of the British The Office and Simon Pegg, maybe, something like that. After that was a darker BBC comedy, which had a different tone, but sort of likeable too, called Lead Balloon. Sort of about a comedy writer and the hijinks & problems of his life.

The Driver--70's crime film--The Driver (Ryan O'Neal) is the best getaway man in the business. The Detective (Bruce Dern) is the ruthless lawman determined to arrest the Driver. The Player (Isabelle Adjani) is the professional alibi whose sweet talk gets the Driver out of any pesky police entanglements. Veteran director Walter Hill is behind the wheel of this ice-cool minimalist thriller.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    Watched the first episode to Carl Sagan's Cosmos, still a worthwhile series. You can catch a steamer on YT.
    Looking forward to the new one with Neil DeGrasse-Tyson!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I saw Secret Life of Walter Mitty last week, I was very surprised how much I liked this. It only takes the basic premise of the original short story, which is fine by me. I really got caught up in it, I can so relate to a dreamer like Mitty. I thought Stiller did a fine job as both actor and director. I know this is considered a bomb, but I think people will be surprised by this one. There were some scattered aplause in the theater at the end, I guess I wasn't the only one who liked it.

Speaking of aplause, yesterday I saw the gripping and overall terrific war movie "Lone Survivor". All of the audience stayed for the credits, which included photos and video of the real soldiers involved, and gave a nice ovation at the end. I'm very happy to see a film like this have a big opening.

the original Mitty flick with Danny Kaye was on last night during the Bolts beatdown... Danny Kaye was quite a gifted talent, fun movie!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post

The Driver--70's crime film--The Driver (Ryan O'Neal) is the best getaway man in the business. The Detective (Bruce Dern) is the ruthless lawman determined to arrest the Driver. The Player (Isabelle Adjani) is the professional alibi whose sweet talk gets the Driver out of any pesky police entanglements. Veteran director Walter Hill is behind the wheel of this ice-cool minimalist thriller.
    I like this film. I recently had a double feature viewing night of Drive and then The Driver.

Watched two(!) movies today, can't remember the last time I did that. "The Place Beyond The Pines", a very good drama set over three acts, and "Gosford Park" which I saw about ten years ago but had forgotten. What a cast!

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Oblivion (2013)

I expected to like this much less then I actually did. The glass tower sets were definitely cool, the sky illuminating the rooms, and the slick flyer pad from Star Wars. I noticed Tom Hanks kept his Yankee hat from War of the Worlds. Yet another movie where NYC is obliviated, with icons like the Empire State building and the GW bridge playing prominent roles, even though the rest of the world is destroyed also. Does Morgan Freeman ever play anyone besides the underground leader dude with weird sunglasses? Nice to see Jamie Lannister in another role, even if he needs his GOT hairstyle as much as Morgan needs his signature sunglasses.

Plot was better then expected, even if by the end reveal, there are tons of plot holes uncovered.

I give it 7 out of 10 Olga Kurylenkos, simply because she is a 10 out of 10.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the original Mitty flick with Danny Kaye was on last night during the Bolts beatdown... Danny Kaye was quite a gifted talent, fun movie!
    I caught this, too. Danny Kaye was very good, but I just couldn't get into this one. Have the new one in queue to watch when I find time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I noticed Tom Hanks kept his Yankee hat from War of the Worlds.
    Don't you mean Tom Cruise? I don't think that Hanks is a religious nut, or jumps on couches during an interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I caught this, too. Danny Kaye was very good, but I just couldn't get into this one. Have the new one in queue to watch when I find time.
    I like two Danny Kaye films equally; Wonder Man and The Court Jester. I highly recommend them. I didn't care much for Mitty. I also saw Hans Christian Andersen and thought it was corny. Kaye was a very funny actor, though.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Don't you mean Tom Cruise? I don't think that Hanks is a religious nut, or jumps on couches during an interview?
    Yeah, Cruise not Hanks. I guess I had Cloud Atlas on my mind when I was thinking about the glass tower sets in the clouds.

Oblivion obliviates Cloud Atlas as a coherent film BTW.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

I watched Riddick on pay-per-view.

Worst of the series.Started out well, then descended into the valley of suck.Ponderous....ponderous.

I want my $5 back.

Zero Riddick goggles.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Valley of suck--I hate it when that happens.

The Untold Story--on YT for streaming if crime/horror is your thing. It has its share of graphic violence allegedly taken after a true story, I can't imagine.

One more thing about "Lone Survivor", during the end credits and the photos of the soldiers, Peter Gabriel's version of "Heroes" was playing. Very appopriate, and a surprisingly good version of the Bowie song.

Saw an old movie the other night, "The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse" with Edward G Robinson and Humphrey Bogart. Odd old flick, where Robinson is a scientist who joins a criminal gang for research. *Spoiler* In the end, he's tried for murder of Bogart but gets off using an insanity plea. And it's a light hearted ending too, kind of bizarre. Enjoyed it though. Love seeing these old movies that were totally unknown to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    "The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse".....
    For some reason when I read that, in my head, I pronounced it as "The Amazing Dr. Clitoris".