Page 25 of 316 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Just watched The Frozen Ground, a true story about a mass murderer in Alaska. A gripping crime drama with Vanessa Hudgens (victim), Nicolas Cage (cop), and the excellent John Cusack (killer).
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Glad to see that mentioned as I've been thinking about watching it for a while now. Most of the time I'm not a fan of Nicolas Cage, but with the right role, he's great.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Olympus has Fallen

Die Hard without the humor. Mostly eye rolling...downright laughable in parts. The lady who played the Secretary of Defense either deserves an Oscar or a straightjacket.

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

60's epic
    The Great Escape
    Von Ryan's Express
    Epic but not 60's....Pappilion
    Kelly's Hero's
    D-Day
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    How The West Was Won
    Bullitt

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Glad to see that mentioned as I've been thinking about watching it for a while now. Most of the time I'm not a fan of Nicolas Cage, but with the right role, he's great.
    Great way to put it, Klonk. I've always thought that Cage's problem is that he says, "yes" to every script he's offered.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

saw a great movie with absolutely NO recognizeable names except for Lee Van Cleef who played a sleazy criminal... great movie though about a guy trying to clear his name... or looking for a way to cash in

Kansas City Confidential
    8 out of 10 bitter old white guys
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I liked Mama up until the cheeseball ending.
    Totally agree here. This was on one of the movie channels last night so in spite of the reviews I've been seeing, I gave it a shot. What a total letdown.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Captain Phillips - very tense, well paced, realistic. One thumb up.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Just saw the latest Star Trek on dvd. My brother said it was one of the best if not the best Sci Fi movie ever made. I'm not sure I would go that far but it was very good. It was certainly one of the most intense movies I've seen in a while.

I also recently rented "now you see me" which I thought was excellent.

I don't really go to the movies much anymore. Sometimes I'll go see a film with my dad. The last one we saw was the Butler which I thought was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I thought this was really cool, too. Neat idea.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Almost Famous - 9/10 - Every music fan must see it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Almost Famous - 9/10 - Every music fan must see it.
    That's one of my favorites. The director's cut is great.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Damn, I really wanted to see that one when it was in the theaters.

Picnic at Hanging Rock--Victorian period piece taken from a novel about some women that go on a school outing in Australia. It had great cinematography, which is what drew my attention, but I thought the plot was a bit dry or perhaps I was distracted by other things. It did have a haunted quality to it, about the disappearances of the women, and symbolism. I might have to give this a second watch to form a better opinion.

Alice in the Cities--Wim Wenders, German film about a writer who misses his deadline, and meets a young mother and daughter in NYC both from Germany. They are going back to Germany together, but somehow the mother gets thrown off schedule (I don't know if the reason is explicitly given?), and so the journalist agrees to take her daughter back to Amsterdam and they'll meet up there. It's an odd movie, but something that I was very much in the mood for--an anti-Hollywood movie. It's a travel movie where not much goes on, yet was engrossing for me, plus I liked seeing some of the German cities etc. Probably not for everyone's taste--also music by the prog experimental band Can.

saw an odd movie with absolutely NO recognizable names (not even Lee Van Cleef) but was pretty good
    it was about a guy who had narcolepsy and every time he fell asleep he would wake up at a different age
    It was called Shuffle

7 out of 10 dummies
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    That's one of my favorites. The director's cut is great.
    I saw the director's cut once, yes, an improvement. I've watched this movie several times but not recently. The movie soundtrack is incredible, including a Yes track. My favourite line: I'm a Golden God!

I love "Almost Famous"! How about Jethro Tull's "Teacher" playing in the background when the kid is trying to get in the door to interview Black Sabbath? That film was largely based on Cameron Crowe's own experiences touring with bands like Tull and The Allman Brothers.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That film was largely based on Cameron Crowe's own experiences touring with bands like Tull and The Allman Brothers.
    No, really? Btw, he was also a writer for Rolling Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    saw a great movie with absolutely NO recognizeable names except for Lee Van Cleef who played a sleazy criminal... great movie though about a guy trying to clear his name... or looking for a way to cash in

Kansas City Confidential
    8 out of 10 bitter old white guys

The lead in this was John Payne who was the lawyer / love interest in Miracle On 34th Street. He did several noir type films later in his carreer which he had a piece of and did well with them. A couple worth checking out if you like KC Confidential , 99 River Street, which TCM just aired. As good as KCC. Then theres Slightly Scarlet, which is in color but still a noir. I thought it was racey for its time though a bit disjointed. Still worth a view. Netflix has both of these.
    Robert Mitchum did a load of quality noirs. Check his filmography during the late forties and fifties, theres some real jems. Out Of The Past is a standout.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I love "Almost Famous"! How about Jethro Tull's "Teacher" playing in the background when the kid is trying to get in the door to interview Black Sabbath? That film was largely based on Cameron Crowe's own experiences touring with bands like Tull and The Allman Brothers.
    I wish I was Cameron Crowe in the 70s!

I saw the director's cut once, yes, an improvement. I've watched this movie several times but not recently. The movie soundtrack is incredible, including a Yes track. My favourite line: I'm a Golden God!
    My favorite line: Is this Mary Ann with the pot?

Mine is when Red Dog the roadie yells "HEY BROTHER!"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I wish I was Cameron Crowe in the 70s!
    I wish was him in the late '80s-2010, then I would have been married to Nancy Wilson. I would have never let her go either.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    The lead in this was John Payne who was the lawyer / love interest in Miracle On 34th Street. He did several noir type films later in his carreer which he had a piece of and did well with them. A couple worth checking out if you like KC Confidential , 99 River Street, which TCM just aired. As good as KCC. Then theres Slightly Scarlet, which is in color but still a noir. I thought it was racey for its time though a bit disjointed. Still worth a view. Netflix has both of these.
    Robert Mitchum did a load of quality noirs. Check his filmography during the late forties and fifties, theres some real jems. Out Of The Past is a standout.
    cool to know! thanx

Watched a Bogey film, The Left Hand Of God tonight... pretty good story about missionaries in China in the 40s. Bogey plays a priest with a twist.

7 out of 10 Chinese warlords with American educations

Hilareous! So many great lines.