Page 248 of 316 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298 ... LastLast
Results 6,176 to 6,200 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    no one has mentioned Tom Hiddleston in the Kong movie. Utterly unconvincing as a British special forces guy. And not only physically but he had zero presence or charisma, yet in other movies I have never had an issue with him.
    Quite possibly the biggest mystery in modern British acting; to me, Hiddleston is by far the most overrated dude out there. Seeing him in The Night Manager alongside brilliant performers like Hugh Laurie and the inimitable Tom Hollander - I was completely puzzled with embarrassment. Like the effin' Robbie Williams of contemporary UK film; a fabricated star of the screen.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Quite possibly the biggest mystery in modern British acting; to me, Hiddleston is by far the most overrated dude out there. Seeing him in The Night Manager alongside brilliant performers like Hugh Laurie and the inimitable Tom Hollander - I was completely puzzled with embarrassment. Like the effin' Robbie Williams of contemporary UK film; a fabricated star of the screen.
    I feel like I've seen Hollander in too many roles that aren't right for him, considering his diminutive stature (he's somewhere between 5'4" and 5'5). Or he's simply not working with camera-people capable of doing enough to hide the height problem. I wonder if he was ever approached for the Lord of the Rings movies. He should probably get on Game of Thrones.

I thought Hiddleston was excellent in The Hollow Crown series.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Listened to the Dunkirk soundtrack on the way into work this morning. Pretty intense, powerful stuff. In parts it could almost be a horror movie score. Much better as a standalone listen than I would have expected.

Favourite tracks are Supermarine (practically a Tangerine Dream epic), Home and The Oil. But it's all much more listenable than I expected.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I've seen Hollander in too many roles that aren't right for him, considering his diminutive stature
    Oh, most definitely - he's been miscast on numerous occasions. Such as playing the "bad guy" in Hanna. People with an idiosyncratic style like this need to be cast properly, or else they'll risk steering up their whole environment of presence. Hollander arguably had his most brilliant moments portraying Guy Burgess in The Cambridge Spies, the Beeb four-part series from 2003 where he pretty much acts all other participants under the table. Miscasting has been a reoccurring dilemma with many potentially outstanding UK actors of his generation, such as Ian Hart and David Thewlis.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Listened to the Dunkirk soundtrack on the way into work this morning. Pretty intense, powerful stuff. In parts it could almost be a horror movie score. Much better as a standalone listen than I would have expected.

Favourite tracks are Supermarine (practically a Tangerine Dream epic), Home and The Oil. But it's all much more listenable than I expected.
    Interesting. I knew the score worked very well with the movie , but wasn't sure about a stand alone listening especially after comments on this thread. I think I might try a re-view of the movie before committing to a purchase of the soundtrack. Nice to see a positive reaction though.

I'm seeing Dunkirk in a theater here in Oslo in four hours' time, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I'm seeing Dunkirk in a theater here in Oslo in four hours' time, and I'm really looking forward to it.
    Post back dude, this is one of those movies that seems to be a bit 'love it or hate it'. Always curious to her peoples opinions.

Are you watching it in IMAX 70MM?
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Post back dude, this is one of those movies that seems to be a bit 'love it or hate it'. Always curious to her peoples opinions.

Are you watching it in IMAX 70MM?
    FWIW, I enjoyed the film more in 70mm regular than IMAX 70mm (yes, I saw it twice). I like the aspect ratio of regular 70mm more (wider screen). The aerial scenes especially had a grander, more sweeping feel to them.

FWIW, I enjoyed the film more in 70mm regular than IMAX 70mm (yes, I saw it twice). I like the aspect ratio of regular 70mm more (wider screen). The aerial scenes especially had a grander, more sweeping feel to them.
    That doesn't surprise me. The director and/or DP compose shots based on the frame and field of view. If IMAX crops the shot, it's not going to look as good.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that IMAX only works with certain kinds of movies and most movies don't fall within that category. I saw one of the Matrix movies in IMAX and boy was that a mistake.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I wondered if Dunkirk was similar in feel to Mad Max: Fury Road--all action and not much story going on. I enjoyed action and all that, but like substance too, if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    I wondered if Dunkirk was similar in feel to Mad Max: Fury Road--all action and not much story going on. I enjoyed action and all that, but like substance too, if not more.
    It's a different situation. Mad Max was a fiction created from scratch. It could have been anything. Dunkirk employs fictional narratives against a very specific historical event, which happened in a very particular way, and Nolan wanted that event to be the forefront of the film, not a backdrop for the personal stories of some of the people involved. In this respect, its comps are really more things like Titanic or Saving Private Ryan than Mad Max. If Titanic had been more about the sinking and less about the Jack/Rose story, it would be more like Dunkirk. And I think a perfectly great Dunkirkian version of Titanic could have been made instead of making us watch Jack and Rose flirt, but that's not the way James Cameron works.

It would not be wrong, IMO, to say that Nolan went light on the fictional narratives, but doing so has a different purpose in his film as opposed to Mad Max, and IMO is much more creatively legitimate a decision. The events of Dunkirk are very well known the British people, even today. So Nolan dispensed with a set-up and decided to make a film that put the viewer right into in the action, as a participant in the events -events which have an inherent importance because they were both true and extraordinary. The stories of the characters were edited around this huge event, rather than the event being a backdrop for the stories of the characters.

My point is not that Nolan's film must be considered a success because he went that route - I think his vision of a film about Dunkirk could have failed if it tried to put the viewer in the action but nevertheless didn't do a good job of it, but I'm of the opinion that it was a great success in this regard. As far as Mad Max goes, there is no extraordinarily true event that it documented. It could have had much more of a story and not sacrificed anything. If Nolan had made more of a Saving Private Ryan kind of war film, then IMO many of things that made Dunkirk special would have had to be sacrificed.

Good observation Facelift. I've been on the fence for that reason, although I've heard it's an intense experience. I've wonder about the lack of personal stories. I may have to check it out at the theater.

in 70mm regular
    Re: Dunkirk.

FWIW, I loved pretty much every second of it - but somehow I do suppose it's a kind of an acquired taste. Not 'expressionist' in any sort of way, but challenging due to a compressed and non-linear narrative in which all dialogue is strictly situational and thus renders the viewer an "inside" experience of happening event. In other words, rather than expressionist it's actually a fairly successful attempt at an ultra-realistic live-action narrative.

Being a two-time drownée () myself (one of them containing revival), I can only tell that the scenes involving undertows, interior floods etc. were downright uncanny. I was also led to believe wholeheartedly in that intense, ubiquitous and sometimes even irrational fear portrayed - ironically, if your very moment concerns survival and nothing BUT that, everything else loses motion and importance; Language, vision, future, morals. It's all secondary.

One complaint on technical error: Spitfires running in spiked or parallel formation as stable as shown here. This simply wasn't how the Spits moved through air, although something tells me that considerations have been bestowed on concscious aesthetics in place of pure realism just here. The filming itself is spectacular, and some of the birdangles over the channel in particular. I'd especially commend Tom Hardy's (arguably fear-induced) self-restraint on downing Messers, Stukas and the Heinkel; according to practically all historical accounts and reports from the airwar, "yee-has" and "hoorays" and "gogogos" were extremely few and far between up there. As were cartoonish heroics on the ground.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Some of these sound good:

"9 Indie Horror Flicks You May Have Missed This Millennium"

https://www.nytimes.com/watching/lis...horror-movies?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Saw them all

The best are It Follows & House of the Devil
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I've seen most of these. FWIW, here is my take...

Teeth was unusual, and borderline funny. Chalk this one up to stupid fun, and a way to kill a couple hours.
    House of the Devil was a pleasant surprise. Good old school horror type film. Recommended!
    A Girl Walks Home at Night - Shot in black and white. This is a very unique film. A slow burn, for sure. I liked it. I think the description on your link is very accurate.
    The Lords of Salem - my least favorite of the Rob Zombie movies. Over the top weird. YMMV.
    Resolution - Thought this was brilliant. A very unique film. Suspenseful and disturbing. Highly recommended.
    It Follows - had a lot of discussion here a while back. Throwback to the 80's, complete with soundtrack. Fun movie.
    The Final Girls - another throwback to the 80's. Very well done. Plenty of humor in this one too. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I've seen most of these. FWIW, here is my take...

Teeth was unusual, and borderline funny. Chalk this one up to stupid fun, and a way to kill a couple hours.
    House of the Devil was a pleasant surprise. Good old school horror type film. Recommended!
    A Girl Walks Home at Night - Shot in black and white. This is a very unique film. A slow burn, for sure. I liked it. I think the description on your link is very accurate.
    The Lords of Salem - my least favorite of the Rob Zombie movies. Over the top weird. YMMV.
    Resolution - Thought this was brilliant. A very unique film. Suspenseful and disturbing. Highly recommended.
    It Follows - had a lot of discussion here a while back. Throwback to the 80's, complete with soundtrack. Fun movie.
    The Final Girls - another throwback to the 80's. Very well done. Plenty of humor in this one too. Enjoyed it quite a bit.
    I've only seen It Follows and House of the Devil, both of which I liked – up to a point. Both disappointed me in the end.

Teeth was a movie submitted for inclusion in the Athens Film Festival. I worked on the selection committee at Ohio Univ. We passed on it but I always wanted to see it.

One of the better, newer horror movies I've seen is Sinister with Ethan Hawke. Don't know if it's an indie, or not, but if so I wonder why it was left off the list.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

With two sequels already in the bag, I'm guessing that Sinister was not considered indie. I do agree that it was quite good.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Watched Alien Covenant last night, totally predictable but fun, rather silly origins section that makes no sense.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Ridley's taking a big dump all over the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Ridley's taking a big dump all over the franchise.
    It's kind of a shame that Scott was once considered an A list director with the sort of clout of Spielberg, Scorcese etc to be able to make what they want and call the shots and have full creative control. But he now seems to be at a point where he seems to bowing to pressure from the studios to effectively cannibalise the Alien movies.

It's kind of uncharacteristic for him, and I can only assume that its his lack of box office success in recent years have affected his standing in the eyes of the studios.

I guess for that reason I am pleased that he is only producing the Blade Runner sequel and not directing it. It's reasonable that the studio's would rather entrust the franchise to an up and coming director as opposed to one who has, I guess in the studio's eyes anyway, not provided them with the sort of box office returns they would have liked.

Don't get me wrong, I like Ridley's stuff, and I think even a lesser or even poor Ridley movie is worth a watch, and a lot better than some of the dross around. I was essentially looking at the situation from the studio's perspective.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Don't get me wrong, I like Ridley's stuff, and I think even a lesser or even poor Ridley movie is worth a watch...
    Have you seen White Squall?

Have you seen White Squall?
    One of a handful I have not seen, though I hear its not good. I have also not seen Matchstick Men.

White Squall was fine. It's not one of Scott's best films, but it's watchable on several levels.