Page 237 of 316 FirstFirst ... 137187227233234235236237238239240241247287 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

The Thing (2011). Not bad but not great. The story occurs immediately before the 1982 version. In fact, it takes place at the Norwegian outpost in Antarctica and ends with the two guys in the helicopter chasing the dog. One thing they did well, I thought, was to put suspicion and paranoia more at the forefront.

C+... maybe a B-

Life (2017). The sci-fi movie with Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. Basically, it's Alien meets Gravity... sorta. Good movie.

B+ to A-

Allied (2016). The movie with Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard and directed by Robert Zemeckis. Takes place during WWII. Was not exactly what I thought it was going to be, tho. Turns out it's a "romantic thriller" and that's a good description. Reminded me a lot of Mr & Mrs Smith but with much less action.

Good movie. A solid A. Ratings elsewhere aren't as generous.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I liked Life & Allied, you could see the Life twist coming a mile away though. Allied was pretty good, slower paced than expected and trying for a Casablanca vibe. Enjoyable.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Life required too much idiot plot for me to enjoy.

We find the very first existence of alien life, and in the form of a multicellular organism! Quick, break out the gloves and start manhandling in a non-sealed compartment!

Bonus: when has prodding anything with an electrical zapper EVER resulted in good results? (AED doesn't count )

Edit: I can't claim the high road here...I know that I'm likely going to end up seeing the next Transformers abomination in the theaters. Like watching Michael Bay molest one of my beloved childhood memories for 2+ hours...with explosions!
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post

Bonus: when has prodding anything with an electrical zapper EVER resulted in good results?
    Been working fine for me for years, no apparent side effects at all.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Life required too much idiot plot for me to enjoy.

Bonus: when has prodding anything with an electrical zapper EVER resulted in good results? [/I]
    It often results in cheeseburgers and steaks!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Recently seen:

Alien: Covenant
    B-
    Eh. I guess it was better than Prometheus.

It Comes at Night
    B+
    Good for what it is. Which is not really a horror film. It's more like The Witch, or Cloverfield Lane. Or the director's previous film, Krisha, in which the only beastie is alcoholism.

Wonder Woman:
    B+
    For better or for worse, at no point in the film is she actually referred to as Wonder Woman.
    Do they call her Wonder Woman in the Justice League movie with Gal Godot? It does somehow seem like it'd be stupid to call her that, while it doesn't really with Superman. Don't pigeonhole her by her gender!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    It often results in cheeseburgers and steaks!
    Yeah, but good steaks and cheeseburgers should use fire and either charcoal or "propane and propane accessories"

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Been working fine for me for years, no apparent side effects at all.
    LOL...ok, you have me there, Ian I stand corrected
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Yeah, but good steaks and cheeseburgers should use fire and either charcoal or "propane and propane accessories"
    Well, I meant the electric zapper that is administered to the head of the cow prior to slaughter to stabilize it.

Thinking of watching a film tonight but I can't decide between The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, The Exorcist, or Zapped! ... thoughts?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Thinking of watching a film tonight but I can't decide between The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, The Exorcist, or Zapped! ... thoughts?
    I'd go for The Godfather but this inevitably leads to the Godfather II so you might need to make a late night of it.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I'd go for The Godfather but this inevitably leads to the Godfather II so you might need to make a late night of it.
    So not Zapped! then?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Porky's!
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

So not Zapped! then?
    Hollywood Knights
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Rob Roy. It's a Rob Roy kind of night.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hollywood Knights
    Wow, I'd forgotten that one!

Watched The Woods (2006). A poor man's Suspiria.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    The Thing (2011). Not bad but not great. The story occurs immediately before the 1982 version. In fact, it takes place at the Norwegian outpost in Antarctica and ends with the two guys in the helicopter chasing the dog. One thing they did well, I thought, was to put suspicion and paranoia more at the forefront.
    It's a crappy remake. They insisted they weren't remaking John's movie, either. But that's what it is. The "Tetris" graphic was a cheap CGI gloss-over of an alien specimen aboard the craft "the thing" escapes from. The crew was carrying other lifeforms aboard the craft, but they failed to convey that in the film. Ending with the chopper-dog chase was the only cool thing, but it's too little, too late.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    It's a crappy remake. They insisted they weren't remaking John's movie, either. But that's what it is. The "Tetris" graphic was a cheap CGI gloss-over of an alien specimen aboard the craft "the thing" escapes from. The crew was carrying other lifeforms aboard the craft, but they failed to convey that in the film. Ending with the chopper-dog chase was the only cool thing, but it's too little, too late.
    Wow, I just watched the trailer. It couldn't look more like a remake, down to the saucy black guy. Directed by Khan Jarpenter.

'71 (2015)
    A-
    This was a very pleasant surprise. Forget aliens or zombies - this was scarier, cleverer and more visceral than just about any "it's coming to get ya!" film I've seen. If it was a little bit longer (97 minutes) you might have gotten to know the characters and sort out their intentions a bit more clearly, but then again it could be argued that leaving the audience to figure things out on its own is not just a too-rare tip of the hat to their intelligence, but that the element of confusion helped the concept work. Particularly good for a directorial debut.

It's on Amazon Prime right now - not sure about Netflix.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Oh yeah, '71 was good. I couldn't recall it from the name so looked it up and then I remembered seeing it. Makes you wish more movies were intelligently made.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Interesting list of movies so bad they're good. A few of my faves missed the list but still, there's some great examples of films so bad you have to see them again.

https://theringer.com/the-50-best-go...s-a9add81b5b7f
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I voluntarily watched the latest Transformers cluster last night. I actually enjoyed it, but not really for the right reasons. It is fascinating and a little fun to dissect the film and realize just how many things were actually wrong with it. Not just the easy targets like the awful dialog, rampant sexism and racism...but the more structural stuff. Like, a fumbling switch of mcguffins midway through the film, disappearing characters, logic holes and disjointed editing. Much like Suicide Squad and Batman v. Superman, it's kind of an excellent sort of case study in how NOT to make a movie.

The other curiosity I'll have is the final box office take. These movies usually clean up in a big way, but I was there last night, 7 PM opening night in IMAX 3D and the theater was mostly empty (like, barely 25% full).

I voluntarily watched the latest Transformers cluster last night. I actually enjoyed it, but not really for the right reasons. It is fascinating and a little fun to dissect the film and realize just how many things were actually wrong with it. Not just the easy targets like the awful dialog, rampant sexism and racism...but the more structural stuff. Like, a fumbling switch of mcguffins midway through the film, disappearing characters, logic holes and disjointed editing. Much like Suicide Squad and Batman v. Superman, it's kind of an excellent sort of case study in how NOT to make a movie.

The other curiosity I'll have is the final box office take. These movies usually clean up in a big way, but I was there last night, 7 PM opening night in IMAX 3D and the theater was mostly empty (like, barely 25% full).
    Good to see that you're using those "new album royalties" wisely.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    TV has been comPLETELY kicking the Silver Screen's ass for some time now.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Good to see that you're using those "new album royalties" wisely.
    SSSHHH! Don't let the others hear that!!!