Page 236 of 316 FirstFirst ... 136186226232233234235236237238239240246286 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Re The Mummy trailer - Having a beautiful young woman open her mouth as wide as possible, and roaring or yelling, is supposed to be...what? Scary? Edgy? How about ridiculous? That trailer makes it so obvious that this movie is a turd.

[QUOTE=moecurlythanu;706396]Re The Mummy trailer

You know a movie is in trouble when the trailer consists of mostly the best sequence in the movie (namely the plane sequence). Honestly, apart from that there is nothing else of any interest to see.
    Last edited by Rogue Mail; 06-12-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    The Place Beyond the Pines should stay there. So way beyond plausible, an insult to the viewer's intelligence.

In comparison, at least Kong Skull Island is expected to be beyond plausible, but this is yet another pathetic insult to the viewer's intelligence. Yeah, let's get a really great helicopter crash scene orchestrated by Kong, make sure all the choppers fly near to each other and not beyond the reach of the monster. Then, when all the choppers crash, let's make sure there are plenty of survivors, otherwise the movie would be over already.

And Samuel L Jackson playing himself for the 900th movie straight is about 897 too many times for me.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Why is there another Mummy movie already? Is this one at all like the Universal original, Or ridiculously different like the previous remake?

Speaking of Kong of Skull Island, why is that movie not available on demand or to stream anywhere? Is it still in theaters? Seems like a long time since it came out.

[QUOTE=Rogue Mail;706410]
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Re The Mummy trailer

You know a movie is in trouble when the trailer consists of mostly the best sequence in the movie (namely the place sequence). Honestly, apart from that there is nothing else of any interest to see.
    I gotta admit...After posting, I did a bit of googling, and Sophia Boutella, who plays the mummy, is off-the-hook hot, under that pallid make-up. I'd be tempted to watch just for her.

[QUOTE=moecurlythanu;706446]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post

I gotta admit...After posting, I did a bit of googling, and Sophia Boutella, who plays the mummy, is off-the-hook hot, under that pallid make-up. I'd be tempted to watch just for her.
    With you on that! A very striking presence. She hails from Algeria. I first saw her in Kingsman, The Sercet Service. She played an assassin with metal blades for legs. She was pretty memorable in that too. Apparently she is a trained dancer and was so until breaking into movies.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Why is there another Mummy movie already? Is this one at all like the Universal original, Or ridiculously different like the previous remake?
    Even more ridiculously different than the previous remake, which I found a reasonable watchable popcorn movie, nothing more.

This is an unhitherto unknown level of badness. None more bad...

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    My Life as a Zuchinni - - this is a French/Swiss stop motion animation that, in the same vein as Watership Down and Stand By Me are films that may appear to be for kids but are actually far from it. I believe this was rated PG13 in the US when it was released.

It's a story about a young boy who is nicknamed Courgette who lives at home with his alcoholic mother, and is sent to an orphanage when she 'goes away'. Here he meets and befriends other children from troubled homes who have been emotionally and also physically damaged in some way. Despite the description its actually a very heartfelt, uplifting movie that has the children discovering friendship and happiness with each other.

The only thing that irks me is how the movie was retitled (Zuchinni replacing Aubergine) and re-dubbed in English for the US market. Luckily the copy I picked up on blu ray has the original French language and English subs. You really need to watch it in French to get the nuances of the actors performances. And I understand that a Courgette is known as a Zuchinni in the US, but I really don't think its necessary to 'dumb it down' for different audiences.
    I haven't seen this yet, but it sounds worth watching. I have little knowledge of the French language and will have to watch dubbed English and/or read the English subtitles. I don't mind. I had never heard the word, "courgette" before, for a zucchini. I always thought (without evidence) the name "zucchini" came from Italy. Left to ourselves, Americans would have come up with a much dumber name. I hesitate to imagine. I did know that we call aubergines, "eggplants" for no known reason. "Eggplant" is a stupid name for a vegetable any way you look at it. Whatever you all them, they are good, and I'm growing some for the second summer in a row. The story sounds interesting, so I will check it out. I love stop-motion animation. Thanks for the review.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I haven't seen this yet, but it sounds worth watching. I have little knowledge of the French language and will have to watch dubbed English and/or read the English subtitles. I don't mind. I had never heard the word, "courgette" before, for a zucchini. I always thought (without evidence) the name "zucchini" came from Italy. Left to ourselves, Americans would have come up with a much dumber name. I hesitate to imagine. I did know that we call aubergines, "eggplants" for no known reason. "Eggplant" is a stupid name for a vegetable any way you look at it. Whatever you all them, they are good, and I'm growing some for the second summer in a row. The story sounds interesting, so I will check it out. I love stop-motion animation. Thanks for the review.
    Believe it or not, I never knew until now than an eggplant was an aubergine. And indeed it does not make any sense.

You say eggplant, we say aubergine...oh, lets call the whole thing off...😁

I had no new movies available last night, so I decided to revisit "Heat," which I own. What a great movie. And soundtrack. And I learned something. When I first saw the movie, in theaters when it was new, I had never heard the name, Natalie Portman. Turns out she was the child who played Pacino's character's stepdaughter in the film.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I had no new movies available last night, so I decided to revisit "Heat," which I own. What a great movie. And soundtrack. And I learned something. When I first saw the movie, in theaters when it was new, I had never heard the name, Natalie Portman. Turns out she was the child who played Pacino's character's stepdaughter in the film.
    That's a good one. A lot of shots fired in that movie!

I watched the movie Return to Zero because my wife watched it and wanted me to experience it with her. I hate it when she does that because her fave genres are horror, disaster flics, and dark dramas. I've said before "every fucking movie you watch is basically about someone having the worst day of their life". Return to Zero was about a woman's journey after her son was stillborn. Yeah, uplifting movie of the year, NOT. I have sympathy for the subject matter but just once I wish it'd be a fucking comedy.

Anyway, the husband in the movie has a name for his dick. Geddy Lee. Prog connection folks!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Did you ever see Mann's TV movie 'dry run' for Heat, LA Takedown from 1989?

It was basically about half of the story with some different characters, but obviously Mann had to wait until he had a few more movies under his belt to do justice to it.

In truth its not very good. The acting is very poor, and there is no getting away from the temptation to compare the actors to the ones in the later version. But even by normal standards they are still very poor.

It did have an early role for Michael Rooker, and Xander Berkeley, who played Pacino's wife's boyfriend (who is watching his TV), played Waingro in that version.

I actually remember watching this when it was released on video way back, and when I saw Heat and that famous shootout, I had a distinct sense of deja vu. Yes, the shootout is in this version too, and I guess for a late 80's tv movie its not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail
    Did you ever see Mann's TV movie 'dry run' for Heat, LA Takedown from 1989?
    If I did, I have no recollection of it. But that's not unusual for me. My brain gets full, and I dump memories that (I hope) aren't important. I'm not Homer Simpson. Yet.

IIRC, I didn't watch much TV in the 1980s or the first half of the 1990s.

I love stop-motion animation.
    Something else in this thread reminded me of this video but I forgot about it until you mentioned stop-motion animation. I originally saw this about 30 years ago when they used to show those annual tourneys of animation at a theater in Seattle. I saw a few of those and I always thought this was the best I'd seen. You may have already seen it as I posted it in another thread some time ago.

But for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is my pick for best animated short... ever:

“From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Sunburn is a good Greek Indie on Netflix about a lonely middle aged doctor who falls for a young tourist on a beautiful Greek Isle.
    It gets dark...
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Something else in this thread reminded me of this video but I forgot about it until you mentioned stop-motion animation. I originally saw this about 30 years ago when they used to show those annual tourneys of animation at a theater in Seattle. I saw a few of those and I always thought this was the best I'd seen. You may have already seen it as I posted it in another thread some time ago.

But for anyone who hasn't seen it, this is my pick for best animated short... ever:
    When I was in college, they used to have an animation festival every year and this was included one year. We spent hours afterward over pizza and beers discussing it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I have seen "Balance" before, but I can't remember when or where. Fantastic film.

We saw Before The Flood, a National Geographic documentary about climate change, with Leo DiCaprio.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    When I was in college, they used to have an animation festival every year and this was included one year. We spent hours afterward over pizza and beers discussing it.
    I found a DVD somewhere of animated shorts that actually included it. Bought it just for that video.

That animation festival (if it's the one I'm thinking of) was called the International Tournee of Animation. According to Wikipedia, it "was an annual touring program of animated films selected and assembled from films from many countries around the world and which existed from about 1970 to the late 1980s. As released to cinemas, college campuses, and art museums and centers across the United States, a typical Tournée program ran about 105 minutes and consisted of 15 to 24 animated films in the 16mm format, each running from 1 or 2 minutes to 15 or 18 minutes each in length."

Bill Plympton was always included. His were always pretty funny. Here's the one that got him an Oscar nomination:

And here's one that's another fave of mine:

I have seen "Balance" before, but I can't remember when or where. Fantastic film.
    It was in that group we're both in.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I just found another old fave that fans of movies should appreciate:

That was definitely the same program, Hal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Recently seen:

Alien: Covenant
    B-
    Eh. I guess it was better than Prometheus.

It Comes at Night
    B+
    Good for what it is. Which is not really a horror film. It's more like The Witch, or Cloverfield Lane. Or the director's previous film, Krisha, in which the only beastie is alcoholism.

Wonder Woman:
    B+
    For better or for worse, at no point in the film is she actually referred to as Wonder Woman.