Page 227 of 316 FirstFirst ... 127177217223224225226227228229230231237277 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 7893

Thread: Movies - where we can talk about movies

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I watched Lion last night for a second time. It's (based on a true story) about a little boy that accidentally boards a freight train that takes him 1600 Kilometers from his rural home in India where is mother and brother live. The story is a 25 year journey of the boy's life growing to a man and his incredible journeys. It was brilliant at the theater and was just as good on pay tv.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We watched Silence last night. A very good story, well directed by Martin Scorsese, about Jesuit missionaries in feudal Japan, where Christianity was not welcomed. Non-Buddhists were killed. Only drawback was its 3-hour length. Wife fell asleep halfway through. I dozed off briefly somewhere in the middle, but reawoke and watched the rest of the film. I can't fault the story, only the length. Recommend coffee before settling into the comfy chair, or you might miss the Japanese Inquisition.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Kedi: A new documentary about feral cats in Istanbul. Apparently they're everywhere, and everybody feeds them and cares for them. "Everyone has a running tab at the vet," says one local. The cats roam freely and don't call anyone their master, but they remember which shopkeepers slip them tidbits and which families let them into their houses at dinnertime.

Good movie for an animal lover.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Kedi: A new documentary about feral cats in Istanbul. Apparently they're everywhere, and everybody feeds them and cares for them. "Everyone has a running tab at the vet," says one local. The cats roam freely and don't call anyone their master, but they remember which shopkeepers slip them tidbits and which families let them into their houses at dinnertime.

Good movie for an animal lover.
    Enjoyed the trailer for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I didn't even know there was another on the way, and still haven't seen the previous one or Rogue One. I guess I'm jaded by three shitty Star Wars movies in a row.
    I would agree that the prequels were a bad idea... but they *are* entertaining
    the new 2 are a bit more like the first 3 than the prequels
    but the prequels aren't *near* as bad as some make them out to be
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    but the prequels aren't *near* as bad as some make them out to be
    They're worse.

All of the money and power in the world, and you get Jake Lloyd????
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Agreed, awful
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

They're all a complete blur -- the titles, what happens in them, the characters...

And who can forget "Anakin, I have the high ground!"

In a way, the third prequel was the worst because there were so many continuity gaps between that and A New Hope. I can't remember them all but it was a startling amount. It was like no one bothered to look at the script, go back to original movies, and then note everything that didn't match up. Because surely that is what you would do with a few hundred million dollars at stake and the already shaky reputation the first two prequels had. I remember a couple of nerdish forums where the absolute rage after the third one was just white hot. There were a few apologists trying to retrofit the whole thing, which was hilarious. "Well, when Leia talked to Luke about their mother she was just talking about foster parents". Then there was the whole debacle about The Force and midichloridians or whatever the fuck that was.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    And who can forget "Anakin, I have the high ground!"

In a way, the third prequel was the worst because there were so many continuity gaps between that and A New Hope. I can't remember them all but it was a startling amount. It was like no one bothered to look at the script, go back to original movies, and then note everything that didn't match up. Because surely that is what you would do with a few hundred million dollars at stake and the already shaky reputation the first two prequels had. I remember a couple of nerdish forums where the absolute rage after the third one was just white hot. There were a few apologists trying to retrofit the whole thing, which was hilarious. "Well, when Leia talked to Luke about their mother she was just talking about foster parents". Then there was the whole debacle about The Force and midichloridians or whatever the fuck that was.
    ok, I understand... and that's probably why I didn't get much from the 3rd one when it was released. I recently rewatched it and I thought it was great...
    BUT that's because I had watched the bulk of The Clone Wars animated series, which answered all the plot holes of the 3rd prequel

but nevermind Jake Lloyd, I think Hayden Christenson really dragged the prequels down
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    nevermind Jake Lloyd, I think Hayden Christenson really dragged the prequels down
    Agreed, was just about to say this. Absolutely terrible.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Watched Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them. Great fun, and a lot better than I thought it was going to be.

The Star Wars prequels were forgettable. I don't question that Lucas had a right to make them if he wanted to, but when he edited the original trilogy to fit the prequel story line, that was sacrilege.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Saw "John Wick Chapter 2" at the theater. That is some talent, to make a movie consisting of two hours of non-stop violence and martial arts choreography and make it very watchable. Nice job.

Also watched the DVD "Patriots Day." I either had no idea, or else forgot, that tax day was once renamed "Patriots Day." No one called it that last Saturday, AFAIK. No matter. A decent movie about the Boston Marathon bombings a few years ago. We noticed a few things differed from the news accounts we had watched at the time (not that the news, or a movie, is the source of truth; and we've never been anywhere near Boston), but it was a good film, nonetheless. I liked watching how the authorities pieced together what had happened and who had done it.

Patriots Day is a traditional New England holiday that coincides with the running of the Marathon. It was yesterday this year and most people were off work.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Patriots Day is a traditional New England holiday that coincides with the running of the Marathon. It was yesterday this year and most people were off work.
    I did not know that. Although I am familiar with a number of holidays that are celebrated nowhere except Hawaii, so I can see that it could happen in other regions. Here in the West, the Boston marathon (barring terrierism) is usually only mentioned in passing (Hell, we're lucky if our news even mentions baseball during baseball season). Just as no one in the East gives a shit if we got more snow than they did. One might think that the only thing various regions of the US have in common is the suppression of truth.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Kong: Skull Island - I liked it a lot, but as some of you may know, I'm partial to enormous monster flickaroonies. Pretty much a tongue in cheek action packed ride with some good laughs along the way. Fairly brutal in some scenes. The CGI is pure eye-candy. John C. Reilly steals the show. Sam Jackson does What Sam Jackson does. After the credits they teased some other famous movie monsters so the re-boot of those "vs." flicks is surely forthcoming. Bring it.

8 out of 10 bowls of hot buttered popcorn.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I did not know that. Although I am familiar with a number of holidays that are celebrated nowhere except Hawaii, so I can see that it could happen in other regions. Here in the West, the Boston marathon (barring terrierism) is usually only mentioned in passing (Hell, we're lucky if our news even mentions baseball during baseball season). Just as no one in the East gives a shit if we got more snow than they did. One might think that the only thing various regions of the US have in common is the suppression of truth.
    Terrierism is a plague on the US. Those little dogs are so highly strung!

I quite liked Patriots Day. I thought the strongest part of the movie was the aftermath, as in the investigation, the interplay between the various forces and agencies, and the incredible siege in the street at the end.
    I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

I haven't watched it yet, my major worry was that it would be overly rah rah gung ho patriotic.
    Ian

I watched "Deepwater Horizon" with Wahlberg, Russell, Malkovich.....thought it was a great disaster movie, reminded me a lot of those 70's flicks like Towering Inferno, Earthquake,etc., except with more realism and better Sfx. Jeez, that was a disaster in many ways. I still think Big Oil got off easy on that one, too.....
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I still think Big Oil got off easy on that one, too.....
    No doubt about it
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Alien 3 still a pretty good sequel, though flawed somewhat. I would have liked to have seen the William Gibson version.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I watched "Deepwater Horizon" with Wahlberg, Russell, Malkovich.....thought it was a great disaster movie, reminded me a lot of those 70's flicks like Towering Inferno, Earthquake,etc., except with more realism and better Sfx. Jeez, that was a disaster in many ways. I still think Big Oil got off easy on that one, too.....
    BP just had another leak, but much smaller. In Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, my major worry was that it would be overly rah rah gung ho patriotic.
    The movie poster certainly gives you that impression, doesn't it? My major worry was that it stars Mark Wahlberg.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Steve McQueen: The Man & Le Mans. This was a pretty good documentary but probably more for racing fans than just fans of McQueen.
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe